Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Gran Turismo 6

Question for GT6 owners- do you still get skewered for going off the track like you do in GT5?

They used to invalidate your next lap if you hit the wall or something minor as going off the track- pretty darn annoying if you're on a super long track like the Nurburgring.

Side note- I just fired up GT5 and then I forgot the servers are shut down. It's pretty brutal- all the money making seasonal races are gone.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 07-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Yes for the time trials and stuff...for online races that can be turned off.

You also still get some odd ball collision penalty sometimes for races in seasonal. Even if you are the one that gets hit...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    Yes for the time trials and stuff...for online races that can be turned off.

You also still get some odd ball collision penalty sometimes for races in seasonal. Even if you are the one that gets hit...
    While I understand the reasoning behind that (realism and stuff), it's no fun to repeat the Nurburgring an extra 2 laps just so I can officially record my best lap time is silly. It's not like it's going up against an online database- it's just for my own record.

That's unfortunate.

There's gotta be rules about leaving the track, and unlike F1 stewards a machine can (and will) enforce them consistantly.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    There's gotta be rules about leaving the track, and unlike F1 stewards a machine can (and will) enforce them consistantly.
    Yes, because the game is so realistic that the cars pinball off each other when they crash.

It's ultimately a game, I want to enjoy driving, not be worried that I pushed the car too hard and went off the track. It's an overly sensitive system. If anything give us the option of turning it off.

It's more for consistancy for online leaderboards. Gotta have a system that rewards the folk who drive the track rather than them who'd take any shortcut available. Not saying you do, just that there'd be a group who'd go about exploiting the track limits otherwise.

Not saying you do, just that there'd be a group who'd go about exploiting the track limits otherwise.
    He does.

It's more for consistancy for online leaderboards. Gotta have a system that rewards the folk who drive the track rather than them who'd take any shortcut available. Not saying you do, just that there'd be a group who'd go about exploiting the track limits otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    He does.
    No, I'm not trying to cheat the system- I'm not using shortcuts, I just want to turn the system off so that I can get a lap recorded- messy or not. That's how I improve- if I can see what sort of time I got I can improve the next time I drive there.

Use a notepad? In Forza they just mark it as messy, so it's still on there as your best time, but it comes in under the clean times. Works well.

FYI in GT6, the time is no longer kept in the practice mode. You have to go to time trial to get recorded time...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Holy cow, I got some time on my hands now and I'm trying to install GT6 on my 80 gig PS3 and I'm still having trouble deleting stuff off my hard drive. And then I promptly gave up. I think I need 20 gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Holy cow, I got some time on my hands now and I'm trying to install GT6 on my 80 gig PS3 and I'm still having trouble deleting stuff off my hard drive. And then I promptly gave up. I think I need 20 gigs.
    I believe you can install your own 2.5" hard drive into a PS3 without too much fuss, and they're not real expensive nowdays. Might be an option if you're hankering for some tinkering.

I believe you can install your own 2.5" hard drive into a PS3 without too much fuss, and they're not real expensive nowdays. Might be an option if you're hankering for some tinkering.
    I would do it if my PS3 were newer. It's one of the older, fat PS3s with no PS2 compatibility. They're notorious for burning the processor out, I think mine is on it's way out. I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I started buying up cheap PS3 games... and now the PS4 is out.

In a bit of a summary, I would give Gran Turismo 6 a 4/10.

In some inexplicable reason, a lot of the game is locked once you start, you're even forced to buy a Honda Fit RS as your first car. The races are locked. Photo mode is locked. Online competition is locked until you get into the series A races. I'm not sure who thought this was a good idea, and frankly, it's demeaning for long time players of Gran Turismo who just want to do what they want to do. Oh, I hope you like grinding out credits, because winning races doesn't mean you win cars, you win stars instead. After a certain number of stars, you get the privilege of doing the license exams.

Furthermore, because you need to acquire a certain number of stars to advance your career, you can't skip around.

I think this is quite possibly the worst way to structure the game because they're not really forcing you to pay to win, but strongly suggesting you to fork over cash. Microtransactions aren't intrusive, but they definitely want to point you in that direction because many cars are really expensive. Credits can be hard to come by, but considering the PS4 version of Gran Turismo is coming soon, I can see them shutting off the servers for GT6 soon. The only way to get a massive amount of credits is to play the seasonal races, and they're lucrative if you can get the sign in bonuses.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you unlock more places later on, but photo mode sucks. There's only 5 locales so far. Also, the menu music really took a dive. The old GT5 menu music was downright catchy. I've also played the online multiplayer once, it seems fairly empty in my opinion, and the racing doesn't seem too structured. When I entered a race the host was driving a Mazda Miata and I was driving a tuned BRZ. Someone then showed up with a Citroen by GT. Not very balanced, I think.

Although Gran Turismo 5 was mostly unfinished, at least it gave you the freedom to do as you wish. There's too many restrictions to really allow you to enjoy racing. The only saving grace for GT6 is that they really included a lot of new real world tracks, like Silverstone and Brand's Hatch. Also, they got rid of the used car lots and you can access all the cars at the same time. Although the old car models are still old car models, they made them look extra shiny so unless they're race cars with liveries, you can't tell that they're lower resolution.

Now that they shut the servers down for Gran Turismo 5, you can't even get credits easily with the seasonal races. It's a shame, because I preferred the way they had things in GT5.

Time to move to Forza then, I guess...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Time to move to Forza then, I guess...
    I have bought way too many PS3 games that I haven't even started to move to Forza.

I may just cut my losses and end it at the PS3, it's probably the last console I'll buy, unless I buy the PS4 for blu-ray duties. I'm unwilling to pay for online multiplayer for either console, so I really can't choose one or the other.

The smart decision would be to go PC, actually. I hate that route, because I prefer the convenience of consoles and not needing to update any hardware to play video games.

Thread Information