Thread: General Photography Competition #235

General Photography Competition #235

Voting in General Photography Competition #234 will be closed automatically on August, 12.

Post your entries for General Photography Competition #235 below.

Rules

• The deadline is Sunday, August 11 at 11:59 PM EST.
    • The photograph can contain any non-automotive image (other than adulterous material).
    • The proposed picture must be your own and not found on the internet.
    • The photograph must be attached using the UCP system. Any picture not attached using the UCP system will not be in the voting thread.
    • Your image may be up to 800 pixels wide or tall.
    • Photograph may contain post-processing editing.
    • It is preferred that you state enhancements made, but not necessary.
    • It is preferred that you state the camera settings used, but not necessary.
    • The photograph must be taken no earlier than one year before start date.
    • Each photographer cannot vote for himself, they must vote for the others.
    • Any users who enter and vote for themselves automatically receive a 2 week penalty from the competition and all votes previously given to his/her photo are removed.

User name
    Subject matter/photo title
    Date taken
    Camera
    Standings 2013

--
    Last edited by faksta; 07-29-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Just before sunset I went out to find a local herd of Highland cattle. They've been around here for a few years, but I had never seen them before. After quite a long walk through high grass, reeds and thistles I finally located them. I had the sun in my face instead of my back, so I wanted to walk around them and approach/photograph them from the other side. Suddenly two calves popped up in front of me. They were a little nervous and didn't know what to expect from me. I quickly took 4 photo's and then about 6 adult cows and bulls came out of the bushes/reeds. They started mooing, watching/focussing on me and walking towards me. Because of their isolated location (so they don't get as many people around) and their calves (a third one also popped up), I quickly decided to back off and let them be. I wasn't in the mood to run away from 800 kg cows!

basman007
    Highland Calf
    Shot on 24-07-2013
    Canon EOS 40D & Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM
    @ 148 mm; F/3.2; 1/200; ISO 100; EV +1.0

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by basman007; 07-29-2013 at 03:02 AM.

I'm throwing in an old one here. That was last November when I was spending vacation with my sister in one of my favorite places - Czech Republic. The place called Spindleruv Mlyn is a little resort for skiing fans, but it was too early for skiing as the snow was only beginning to lay down. So we were just walking around and once found ourselves on top of one of the peaks around the place we stayed at. Thankfully there was a path leading up (and, more importantly, down) through the forest, otherwise we wouldn't have made it there until the sunset. All in all, the white field you can see above the middle of the photo is not snow on the ground, like in front - those are clouds

faksta
    On top of the World
    November 16, 2012
    Nikon D90 + Nikkor AF-S 18-105 VR
    No post-processing

I was visiting a US National Park with my family and I couldn't help but notice the vegetation on the side of the road. There were lots of bees and dragonflies around, but it was far too hot and I also didn't have my macro lens on me.

But, I did take a couple shots and considering that it has been cropped, the kit lens is quite sharp.

NSXType-R
    Bee
    Shot on 7-30-13
    Nikon D7000 and 18-135mm
    @135mm; f/7.1; 1/320; ISO 200
    No edits, just a crop and resize

Just a bit of a note, this will probably be my last submission in a while- I will get pretty busy with school in about a week. I enjoy the photo comps very much so though!

My thanks to all the submissions by everyone else and to faksta to restarting the competitions.

I hope you will still find some time to participate - with two weeks advance and a year long deadline for pictures that could be possible hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    I hope you will still find some time to participate - with two weeks advance and a year long deadline for pictures that could be possible hopefully
    I will certainly try! With the longer time limit on the general competitions I certainly have enough material for a long while.

He nk4

"pulling the rope"

Canon ID Mk II, F8, 300 mm 1/320. 08/07/2013
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

RacingManiac
    Pigeon
    08/04/2013
    Sony Alpha 700 + 70-400 G
    Crop and Raw conversion

I really have nothing to submit....I saw this this morning though, after noticing the little guy hanging out in front of my apartment the last 2 days. I think it has a nest somewhere that its guarding...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information