Thread: BMW i8 revealed and other three-cylinder engined machines from Ford and Caterham ...

BMW i8 revealed and other three-cylinder engined machines from Ford and Caterham ...

Hot on the heels of the i3 announced last week, BMW have now released the first details and images of the i8. This two-door sports car model of the new 'i' range will make its official debut in Frankfurt and enter production in 2014. The efficient machine combines a mid-mounted three cylinder engine driving the rear wheels with an electric motor attached to the front wheels. The combined performance of the hybrid drivetrain is 357 bhp, which is enough to launch the 1,490 kg machine to 60 mph in under 4.5 seconds. In addition to the detailed specifications, BMW also released a set of photos of the i8 in camouflage.
    Also due to use a three cylinder engine is the all-new Caterham Seven, which will be officially revealed later in the year. The turbocharged straight 3 used is supplied by Suzuki and displaces just 660 cc. It is mated to a Suzuki five-speed gearbox. When further details of the new Seven will be released, we will update our article accordingly.
    Perhaps the most extreme three-cylinder engined machine launched this year is the Ford FF1. This single-seater is based on the current Formula Ford car and features a 202 bhp version of the 1-litre EcoBoost engine. Despite its competition roots, the FF1 is fully road legal. Earlier this year Nick Tandy lapped the Nurburgring in a staggering 7min 22sec, which is the 11th fastest time for a road legal car and faster than supercars like the Lamborghini Aventador. We have captured every detail of this remarkable little machine in this 16-shot gallery.

Enjoy the links:

2014 BMW i8 - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Caterham Seven - Images, Specifications and Information

2013 Ford FF1 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Three weeks ago I was utterly amazed when a i8 pulled onto our camping site in Imst, Austria. I had a good look but unfortunately they put a cover over the car before I had my camera out. It was a very nice car and would be a worthy succesor to the M1 !

Thread Information