Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonhams to sell historic cars from double Le Mans-winning racing team

Bonhams to sell historic cars from double Le Mans-winning racing team

Press release:

The world's most comprehensive collection of competition cars from Scotland's flagship team that won two consecutive Le Mans 24-Hour races in the 1950s is among early consignments for one of the first sales to be held at Bonhams' newly redesigned and refurbished London headquarters.
    Scottish businessman and amateur racing driver David Murray founded Ecurie Ecosse in November 1951. From a humble garage in a cobbled Edinburgh mews, operating invariably upon a shoestring budget, this proudly Scots blue-liveried team would take on – and beat – some of the biggest names in world-class motor racing, and would win consecutive Le Mans 24-Hour races for Jaguar in 1956 and 1957.
    Had David Murray not crashed at the Nurburgring during practice for the 1950 German Grand Prix his now legendary team might never have been born. Backed by fellow Scottish enthusiasts he had founded Ecurie Ecosse as a cooperative syndicate, running mainly Jaguar sports cars expertly prepared under legendary mechanic 'Wilkie' Wilkinson. The team went on to earn both international and industry respect. It would count future three-time Formula 1 World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart and his older brother Jimmy amongst its drivers, and would compete in both sports car classics and single-seater Grand Prix racing.
    In just 10 seasons, Ecurie Ecosse scored some 68 victories, including its twin two Le Mans laurels, both achieved with its D-Type Jaguar cars co-driven by Ron Flockhart, Ninian Sanderson and Ivor Bueb.
    The team was disbanded in 1972, but reformed in 1982 under new direction, with its drivers still competing in the British GT Championship and the European Le Mans Series.
    The Bonhams Sale of Important Collectors' Motor Cars and Automobilia on Sunday 1st December will feature a private single-owner collection of eight Ecurie Ecosse vehicles.
    Among highlights of the Dick Skipworth Ecurie Ecosse Collection are two sports-racing Jaguars – a 1953 C-Type and a 1956 D-Type. The Collection also features the iconic Scottish team's famous double-deck Commer car transporter. The restored transporter – famous to generations as subject of a much-coveted Corgi toy - is capable of carrying three cars (one inside and two on top) together with support crew, and even features an onboard workshop.
    A well-known and respected figure in the Collectors' Motor Car fraternity, Dick Skipworth has – for many years – been a regular competitor in historic races and rallies. He has been virtually lifelong an ardent fan of Ecurie Ecosse.
    The Dick Skipworth Ecurie Ecosse Collection comprises:
    • 1952 Jaguar XK120 Roadster
    Typifying the foundation of Ecurie Ecosse as a Scottish cooperative racing team, this XK120 was campaigned in period by Sir James Scott-Douglas.
    • 1953 Jaguar C-Type
    Raced in period for Ecurie Ecosse by the team's future Le Mans winner Ninian Sanderson, and also by Jock Lawrence, Jimmy Stewart (late brother of Sir Jackie) and Frank Curtis.
    • 1956 Jaguar D-Type
    A short-nose 'D' without the fin – the most beautiful of all variants - and a debut-race winner for the Scottish team driven by Ron Flockhart.
    • 1959 Tojeiro-Jaguar
    This unique Tojeiro-Jaguar is one of the most distinctive of all modern-era Historic sports-racing cars having been campaigned most prominently by Barrie Williams.
    • 1960 Cooper T49 Monaco
    Campaigned in period, including Le Mans, by Bruce Halford, Tommy Dickson and – most notably during his meteoric rise to World Champion invincibility – Sir Jackie Stewart.
    • 1961 Austin-Healey 'Sebring' Sprite
    The delightful and distinctive little Coupe, recalling the Scottish team's 1961 Le Mans foray with drivers Ninian Sanderson and Bill Mackay.
    • 1962 Tojeiro-Buick Coupe
    Designer John Tojeiro's ultimate Le Mans 24-Hour race contender, the subsequently V8-powered rear-engined Coupes proved to be forerunners of the 1963 Lola-Ford Mark VI GT and the Ford GT family.
    • The 1959 Commer Ecurie Ecosse Transporter
    Designed by aeronautical engineer Selby Howgate and immortalised by Corgi's classic 1:48-scale model – in fully restored running order with its unique bodywork by Alexander's of Falkirk and Commer TS3 flat-six diesel engine.
    James Knight, Bonhams' Group Motoring Director, said: "we are delighted to have been appointed to handle the sale of this magnificent Collection. It illustrates Dick Skipworth's dedication towards acquiring a definitive representation of perhaps Britain's best-loved motor racing team. The wonderful transporter typifies his commitment. It was discovered in need of loving revival and then restored at great expense to become the talisman and centrepiece of the Collection. We will be able to present the Collection, along with other important entries, in our just-completed, state-of-the-art flagship saleroom facilities. December 2013 promises to see another memorable auction at Bonhams."
    The Ecurie Ecosse Collection was announced at a press call and reception at Bonhams' New Bond Street headquarters on Tuesday 3 September, at which both the Jaguar XK120 and Jaguar D-Type were on view.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

That is a fantastic picture!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Catalogue now at

http://images1.bonhams.com/original?...-20934-0-4.pdf

( It's 30Mb or I'd have attached it Maybe Wouter you would consider easing that limit for this one case ??? )

shame that Scottish Museums have plenty of money to buy art and antiquities and NOTHING to try to purchase any one of these cars for future Scots to remember this team and it's efforts
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Speaking of Scotland and cars, Matra when I was over, I was driving outside Arbroath just 15 or so minutes and saw a few E-Types parked out in a lot. I told my Grandad I had to look inside the shop... They had some crazy sauce in there man. I saw a Bugatti of a vintage I have forgotten and a whack load of Jags as well as what I believe was a 2.7 RS. And this was just in a little shop in a village in Angus. Do you know the place?

The results were very impressive:

Quote Originally Posted by Press release
    All eight cars in British connoisseur Dick Skipworth’s collection from the legendary Scottish team that won two consecutive Le Mans 24-Hour races in 1956 and 1957, sold at Bonhams today (1 December) for record prices.

Just as they did in the 1950s, four of the Ecurie Ecosse Jaguars raced ahead of their rivals.

The team’s 1952 Jaguar C-Type sold for no less than £2,900,000, amid auction-room applause, while their 1956 Jaguar ‘Shortnose’ D-Type sold for £2,600,000. Both went to a buyer in the United States.

Meanwhile, the packed saleroom resounded to further applause as the Collection’s Jaguar XK120 Roadster made a record £707,000.

Million-pound mark-up for two-stroke truck

However, it was the Ecurie Ecosse three-car Transporter, their unique 1960 Commer TS3 immortalised for many by the Corgi toy, which exceeded all expectations as it was sold to the same US buyer for £1,800,000 after a telephone bidding war that lasted almost 20 minutes.

The 800-strong crowd in Bonhams’ £30-million New Bond Street headquarters – opened by London Mayor Boris Johnson on October 24 - erupted as auctioneer Robert Brooks’ hammer sealed this sale of the most valuable historic commercial vehicle ever sold at auction.

Following the Ecurie Ecosse Collection’s sale excitement, the spotlight turned to Ringo Starr’s Facel Vega, which sold for £337,500 while seven-time Formula 1 World Champion Michael Schumacher’s Benetton-Cosworth Ford B194 went to a German museum in Boeblingen for £617,500, bringing the auction total to £16,861,630.

James Knight, Bonhams’ Group Motoring Director, said: “We always knew that today’s Sale had the potential to be a roaring success, but nobody quite anticipated the incredible atmosphere in the saleroom that saw so many truly historic cars go for such astounding prices.

“The Jaguars especially were exceptionally popular, and I am delighted that the Transporter will still be carrying two of its original Ecurie Ecosse racing cars.”
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Holy moly! Great news, but once again, is this a bubble? Here's a cool chart from The Economist.

By the way W, is the shot of the day of the beautifully framed Aston by you? It is spectacular.

Only problem is it looks like Scotland is likely to lose the iconic Ecurie Ecosse cars and transporter. Regularly seen at events and even run at some.

A sad day, unless the new owner can be persuaded to take up Scottish Passport and residency once we get independence
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Speaking of Scotland and cars, Matra when I was over, I was driving outside Arbroath just 15 or so minutes and saw a few E-Types parked out in a lot. I told my Grandad I had to look inside the shop... They had some crazy sauce in there man. I saw a Bugatti of a vintage I have forgotten and a whack load of Jags as well as what I believe was a 2.7 RS. And this was just in a little shop in a village in Angus. Do you know the place?
    Sounds like the Classic Autosports guys in Inverkeilor ?
    They setup the company to initially provide classic E-type for driving experience at Knockhill and grown from strength to strength

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    A sad day, unless the new owner can be persuaded to take up Scottish Passport and residency once we get independence
    Hiyo! How does one manage to vote for that? Must you currently live in Scotland, or...?

nope anyone can vote, but I think it's now closed
    Go check... PE01502: Save Ecurie Ecosse cars - Getting Involved : Scottish Parliament

Also facebook page at ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/168819329981570/

... Oops, I meant for the BIG vote. BTW Ferrer, The Economist (maybe jokingly?) Said just maybe Catalonia will separate in 2014 in their The World in 2014 special.

I wouldn't be so humorous, who knows, but the movement has roots deep in the bowels of Catalan society.

We, however wanted to do it before Scotland (because most probably they'll see a no) but that won't be the case, and that could cool down expectations a bit.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I mean it was hard to tell if they meant it jokingly, I think they were legit. Some of the little This Maybe Just Might Happen are facetious, others I think they pick as legit, but not so likely.

I don't think anyone's joking about this, neither in Scotland nor in Catalunya.

It is serious business indeed.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I had to.

Sorry henk.

Thread Information