Thread: Bragging rights: top speed vs 1/4 mile vs Nurburgring vs Top Gear times

Bragging rights: top speed vs 1/4 mile vs Nurburgring vs Top Gear times

Most hypercars are seldom (if ever) driven to the max
    They are a conversation piece.

What figures offer the best bragging rights and why?
    - Top speed
    - standing 1/4 mile
    - Nurburgring lap times
    - Top Gear test track lap times
    - HP / torque
    - Other, please specify

Of course it depends on who you ask
    -Americans may go for the quarter mile dragrace times as they were the only places where their landyachts shined.
    -Germans may go for top speed as it is Autobahn related.
    - Brits will go for Top Gear test track power lap times.
    - Other Europeans may go for what? Nurburgring maybe?

Price.

Tech, speed between traffic lights, cost, the size of the rest of the collection, more tech, launch speed, lunch speed (0-passenger barfing), wing size, ability to drive upside down at X speed... there's all sorts of meaningless things to wave your willy about.

When bragging, make sure you talk up the categories that you know your vehicle will outperform your opponents, and make sure you can belittle or dismiss those where yours won't. It's important however not to dismiss your opponent outright, as you may end up with a glass in the face or having to prove it. It's very likely that you can't actually achieve the numbers provided so the skill is having your opponent peacefully conceed rather than being able to get out calling you chicken. For more information on how to brag successfully, you can sign up for our seminar. For only $999.99, you can learn all the bragging tips that those fat cats on wall street don't want you to know.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

The Seat Leon Cupra, which is made in a place which is about thirty minutes from home, has been announced as the fastest front wheel drive car ever made in some place in Germany. That automatically makes it the best car ever and makes me very proud to be able to brag about a Skoda in a place I have never actually been.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Tech, speed between traffic lights, cost, the size of the rest of the collection, more tech, launch speed, lunch speed (0-passenger barfing), wing size, ability to drive upside down at X speed... there's all sorts of meaningless things to wave your willy about.

When bragging, make sure you talk up the categories that you know your vehicle will outperform your opponents, and make sure you can belittle or dismiss those where yours won't. It's important however not to dismiss your opponent outright, as you may end up with a glass in the face or having to prove it. It's very likely that you can't actually achieve the numbers provided so the skill is having your opponent peacefully conceed rather than being able to get out calling you chicken. For more information on how to brag successfully, you can sign up for our seminar. For only $999.99, you can learn all the bragging tips that those fat cats on wall street don't want you to know.
    Great! How do I sing up?

My life will be now complete.

Thank you very much.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I will race you in a car made 30 minutes from my house, a 392 Challenger.

Well I'll race you in... aww.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I actually prefer your Fiat to my Skoda.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Well I'll race you in... aww.
    You hit me right in the feels bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I actually prefer your Fiat to my Skoda.
    I know.

I think anyone who is caught up with actual speed is a bit of a nob. Cars like that are as much a fashion statement as anything, I like to think people would buy the car that suits them rather than the fastest or priciest.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Bit of a heavy beast, so handling twisties gonna make it suffer against a Cupra I'd take that "challenge"

Corner weighted my race car this weekend, 1500kgs. WTF !!
    Even more surprised that again it's won the class for up to 2litre sprints and hillclimbs in Scotland
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

But the question is: is that down to Japanese metal or Scottish pies and beer?

As to the original question, it seems like around here a mark of honor is how interesting (read: flawed) the cars you like are. I am as guilty as any, see my attraction to B-Bodies, Citröens, and Polski Fiats.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Bit of a heavy beast, so handling twisties gonna make it suffer against a Cupra I'd take that "challenge"
    I doubt it could even keep up with the 109bhp Hyundai I drive from time to time on proper roads.

However, I think I'd still prefer the V8 burble and stripes in the bodywork.
    Visca Catalunya!

An international meet at Mosport beckons.

I don't know if it's fast but I love driving my VW TDI, lotsa torque for the hills and twisty Arkansas roads

Thread Information