Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG (W211) 2003-2006

I haven't had direct experience with either of them, but our Mercedes-Benz dealer once walked us around a C63 AMG they had for service, including firing it up. Boy, did that sound good...

I think that both the supercharged 5.4 litre and the normally aspirated 6.2 litre are two of the most charismatic engines Daimler has ever made. You can't really go wrong with either of them.

(I personally have soft spot for supercharged engines, but I like big normally aspirated ones as well. I'd have a tough time deciding...)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I haven't had direct experience with either of them, but our Mercedes-Benz dealer once walked us around a C63 AMG they had for service, including firing it up. Boy, did that sound good...

I think that both the supercharged 5.4 litre and the normally aspirated 6.2 litre are two of the most charismatic engines Daimler has ever made. You can't really go wrong with either of them.

(I personally have soft spot for supercharged engines, but I like big normally aspirated ones as well. I'd have a tough time deciding...)
    My classmate from kindergarten's father bought a C55 AMG around the time we were in high school and a few times while walking to school he'd pick me up if they spotted me on their way to school. Lucky for me, I would pass their house on my way to school anyway, but I'd purposely go out of my way to pass by their house so I could get picked up by his father. And to my joy, his father has a big lead foot so I'd get shoved into my seat at every stop sign. This was incredibly exciting and memorable stuff for me at 7am in the morning.

It really helps that the styling around this time was really understated, especially from the Germans. BMW, Audi and Mercedes around the early 2000s haven't gotten to the overwrought messes that we have today. The C32 AMG was particularly weird if I remember correctly, because I think it has an electromagnetic clutch that would disengage the supercharger at low RPMs for better fuel consumption. Either that or that was the Audi S4 from around the same era.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 08-31-2019 at 05:56 PM.

I miss those 90's and early 00's days when you could barely tell apart an S/M/AMG car from their regular counterparts.

I think that my car is quite discreet for the powerhouse that has underneath its bonnet but it still has too many M badges, too aggressive bumpers and unnecessarily flash wheels.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I miss those 90's and early 00's days when you could barely tell apart an S/M/AMG car from their regular counterparts.

I think that my car is quite discreet for the powerhouse that has underneath its bonnet but it still has too many M badges, too aggressive bumpers and unnecessarily flash wheels.
    A wise man. Those hot cars in the 90s were cool in part because they were understated.

Thread Information