Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jaguar E-Type Lightweight 1963–1964 and 2014

Lightweight E-Type 2014 #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightweight E-Type 2014 #3

I'd rather spend my money (if I had this much) on one of these than on a Veyron, Laferrari or P1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Lightweight E-Type 2014 #3

I'd rather spend my money (if I had this much) on one of these than on a Veyron, Laferrari or P1.
    Does that mean you'd consider a Porsche 918?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Does that mean you'd consider a Porsche 918?
    Sharp, yes I might consider the 918, and maybe a NSX

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Sharp, yes I might consider the 918, and maybe a NSX
    Haha, I think I would consider both too if I had the money. New or old NSX though?

Honestly, if I'm spending more than 1/4 million on a car it might as well look pretty too. I get that the McLaren P1 is definitely function over form, but it's not exactly pretty either. The MP4 12 C was a good compromise between the two. The 650S isn't too pretty either.

The Ferrari is rare and expensive, but beyond that it's not that special to me. By the way, have you noticed the front overhang on the LaFerrari? It looks like a park bench.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    The Ferrari is rare and expensive, but beyond that it's not that special to me. By the way, have you noticed the front overhang on the LaFerrari? It looks like a park bench.
    I'm sorry to jump in the conversation, but superficial opinions like these annoys the hell out of me.

Park bench...

Have you noticed the engineering behind LaFerrari? Or behind P1?

These cars represent the best technology has to offer today, in 2014. This is exactly what makes them so beautiful.

Also, this is exactly why the E-type Lightweight of 2014 vintage is nothing but an empty shell. In spite of achingly beautiful bodywork.

While I agree that the 2014 E-Type Lightweight is silly, the Ferrari, the Porsche, and the McLaren are equally cynical efforts, which really puts me off all four of them. The lower models (458, 12C, and 911/Cayman) strike me as being far more honest and desirable.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    I'm sorry to jump in the conversation, but superficial opinions like these annoys the hell out of me.

Park bench...

Have you noticed the engineering behind LaFerrari? Or behind P1?

These cars represent the best technology has to offer today, in 2014. This is exactly what makes them so beautiful.

Also, this is exactly why the E-type Lightweight of 2014 vintage is nothing but an empty shell. In spite of achingly beautiful bodywork.
    Not a problem- What I said was extreme.

I understand that the engineering work that goes into these cars must be painstaking, especially when they need to work around modern safety regulations and emissions.

I just don't think it's all that pretty, nor is it good value for money. All the LaFerraris are spoken for, and apparently there's a $1 million markup for each one.

You could get, I dunno, a Pagani for that and still have change left over. Now that's special and different.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    While I agree that the 2014 E-Type Lightweight is silly, the Ferrari, the Porsche, and the McLaren are equally cynical efforts, which really puts me off all four of them. The lower models (458, 12C, and 911/Cayman) strike me as being far more honest and desirable.

Well I guess the only redeeming thing about those hypercars is that the technology would eventually trickle down to lower end cars. Think about the composite brakes in the Carrera GT. You can find that on the Cayman now.

The Boxter and Cayman have their cynical moments, what with the power outputs being carefully kept a little lower than the 911 and such. Compare that with the 914/6 that just had an engine directly out of a 911 dropped in it.

As for beauty, that's in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the front of the 650S over the 12C, which I felt was a bit boring. A Pagani is a Merc V12 with a pretty frock [cynically speaking], the 12C and 458 were betas for their fancier versions [cynically speaking] etc etc etc. We can be cynical about anything, and we can appreciate anything for what they are. I don't the new E-type lightweights are silly, I think they're joyous. Sure, they're literally 'just' some 60s tech, but that's the point. If they moderenised it, it would be some silly retro thing for the sake of being retro, which is boring now. A La Ferrari is more special than a Pagani, because of all the interesting nerdy engineering that went into combining the electricity with the petrol.

But hey, that's all my opinions, subjective as they are. Objectively, the Golf GTI is all the car you could ever need. But I don't want one.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information