Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first plugin-hybrid Lamborghini launched in Paris ...

The first plugin-hybrid Lamborghini launched in Paris ...

Italian supercar manufacturer Lamborghini opened a new chapter in the company's rich history with the launch of the plugin hybrid Asterion LPI 910-4. Described as a technology demonstrator, it is built around a carbon fibre monocoque chassis and features the V10 from the recently introduced Huracan. This is assisted by three electric motors; two mounted in the front wheels and a third mounted alongside the conventional petrol engine. The combine output is around 900 bhp. When needed the 'Hyper Cruiser' has a pure electric range of 50 km. Asterioin is the proper name of the mythical minotaur, which is part man, part bull. The abbreviation LPI is shot for Longitudinale Posteriore (longitudinal rear) Ibride, which is Italian for hybrid. What is perhaps most remarkable about the highly anticipated Asterion LPI 910-4 is the great restraint exercised by the Lamborghini engineers and designers not to go overboard in an attempt to eclipse the similarly powered Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari LaFerrari and McLaren P1. While only a concept car, Lamborghini has stated that they created the car in a way that it could be produced in larger numbers ...

Enjoy the links:

2014 Lamborghini Asterion LPI 910-4 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Maaaaybe do a bit of a spell check there on the main page article, W.

The Lamborghini looks quite good, and it looks quite production ready actually.

Is this new Lambo supposed to slot between the Gallardo and Aventador, above the Aventador, replace the Aventador, replace both the Aventador and Gallardo, compete with the LaFerrari, or fight the new Rolls-Royce fixed head coupé?

I'm confused.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Is this new Lambo supposed to slot between the Gallardo and Aventador, above the Aventador, replace the Aventador, replace both the Aventador and Gallardo, compete with the LaFerrari, or fight the new Rolls-Royce fixed head coupé?

I'm confused.
    Not really, not really, no, no, not really, not really.

It's a 2-seat hyper-GT. It's probably more Veyron than anything else.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Turns out Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann pretty much hates it. For the CEO to go publically on the record about how pissy he is about it is a little.. unusual. I wonder if the Audi overlords forced them to shove the tech into it, rather than building their own 'R18' street version around it.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Not really, not really, no, no, not really, not really.

It's a 2-seat hyper-GT. It's probably more Veyron than anything else.
    It's not quite ghastly enough to be a Veyron replacement.
    Turns out Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann pretty much hates it. For the CEO to go publically on the record about how pissy he is about it is a little.. unusual. I wonder if the Audi overlords forced them to shove the tech into it, rather than building their own 'R18' street version around it.
    Interesting that he doesn't like it.

I'd also rather have the V12 from the Aventador, though.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's not quite ghastly enough to be a Veyron replacement.
    Not intended to suggest it as a replacement, just the closest thing I could think of. Much more desireable to me than a Veyron.

Well while there is still petrol left I see no reason for Lamborghini to trifle with such things. Let po-faced Audi do it.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

He can always rip out the motors and batteries and stick a V12 in. It's not like there's a V12 deficiency at Lamborghini...

And to please his boss he can sell one with motors and garbage in there.

It's funny he's annoyed about the motors and batteries but he doesn't care about manual transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    It's funny he's annoyed about the motors and batteries but he doesn't care about manual transmissions.
    That's ironic indeed.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd like for them to remember that Lambo heritige consists of more than just the Miura/Countach/Diablo. They could have done a pretty super cool Espada type scenario with this tech, and with a similar design.

As soon as it would have been possible after the financial crisis, a 4-5 model line for Lamborghini makes a lot of sense to me (high end sports car, supercar, 2+2 of the form pim describes, Sedan, SUV). Then they have more breadth than Ferrari, and their SUV/Sedan could charge an arm and a leg more than the closest other Italian competitor, Maserati, or LR or the Germans. Is some sort of inter-brand bickering halting progress on a Lamborghini SUV? For that matter, I find it shocking Bentley hasn't dropped their SUV yet either. It seems like a lot of cash money has been left on the table not having an LM003 available for sale in the Middle East and China from 2010-2014 alone.

Apparently Audi RnD boss mentioned the Asterion and the next gen R8 Hybrid in the same sentence. Will Lambo let Audi have the more powerful car or will that force their hand to make a run of Asterions? Time (and money) will tell, I guess.

General question: take your pick of any Gallardo or R8. Which and why?

Thread Information