View Poll Results: Is marijuana socially acceptable/cool IYO?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 35.90%
  • No

24 61.54%
  • No opinion/undecided

1 2.56%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is marijuana socially acceptable or cool IYO?

Originally posted by Kossy
    Dont bring marijuana down onto the same level as nicotine or caffeine
    They HAVE to be on the same level, because you have to define them as DRUGS. That's the whole point. Marijuana is just an 'illegal' drug (generally in most places), and the others are not.

If caffeine and nicotine aren't drugs, what do you suggest they are?
    Always carry a pint of Scotch to cure snakebites. Furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Originally posted by Jammer
    O.K., but what about nicotine, alcohol, and even caffiene? These drugs are abused by people all over the world on a daily basis, so should thier use be illegal? Organizations like Alcoholics Anonymous in the US wouldn't exist if there was no abuse. What about over the counter meds like Tylenol or Aspirin? It's too muddy a line to distinguish between when you use the word 'abuse'.

I'm not arguing for the legalization or decriminalization of marijuana necessarily, but people have the choice whether they want to start doing or using something. Just because a drug is made illegal to sell or possess, won't neccessrily make it any harder to buy on the streets either. Look at coke or other drugs in the US again. Being 'illegal' doesn't make them hard to get.

I'm not trying to argue with you guys, but the argument is very complex or people would have had it figured out already.
    I see ur point jammer and i do agree with u... but even alcohol can cause accidents and destroy ppls lives... so why not ban them too. Now, I am not an alcoholic and never will be... so it probably isn't fair for those ppl who do use alcohol when I say it should be illegalised... But hey... if I can live without it... so can nebody... Alcohol is not a very big issue though... a little bit of alcohol once in a while is known to be good for ur health... so... I don't think it is fair to compare this with stuff like weed and crack...

Originally posted by Meluion
    My little brother is stealing to get money for it.
    It ruïned his life; kicked out of school, kicked out of the house...

I'm gonna be furious when my government would ever legalize it...
    So maybe if smoking a plant that will grow anywhere were not looked at as if you are robbing banks, the systems of society wouldnt be changing your brother from a pothead to a criminal...

Originally posted by Hell_Unleashed
    I see ur point jammer and i do agree with u... but even alcohol can cause accidents and destroy ppls lives... so why not ban them too. Now, I am not an alcoholic and never will be... so it probably isn't fair for those ppl who do use alcohol when I say it should be illegalised... But hey... if I can live without it... so can nebody... Alcohol is not a very big issue though... a little bit of alcohol once in a while is known to be good for ur health... so... I don't think it is fair to compare this with stuff like weed and crack...
    btw alcohol kills more people in 1 year than marijuana has since the beginning of time.

Look for the book The Emperor Wears No Clothes... this will contain scientific documentation to support this statement.

Not that I agree with the use of marijuana, but it is in actuality less harmful than breathing air in Los Angeles. Let alone drinking excess alcohol, which is worse for you than nearly anything...

The more you know...

No one steals old ladies bags or breaks into your house to get money to buy coffee. If you become part of the "coffee sub culture" the worst you will end up is drinking lattes on side walk cafes. More people drink alchohol than smoke MJ so it is likely to kill more. Its not whether it is legal or not or even if its a drug. Its what people do when they use it. Plenty of people drink alchohol in moderation. Many drink wine etc for the taste. Most people
    I see smoking weed tend to end up as veges for the rest of the day/night or giggle incessantly. A lot of them who smoke everyday tend to have a distinctive way of speaking. Really sloooooow. The worst problem with any drugs is the sub culture. The **** wits and crims you end up meeting. Its also the type of insecure people that are drawn to drugs to try and give themselves an image. I dont smoke anything but enjoy alchohol, sometimes too much. Penalise the individuals heavily that **** up when they use drugs. Dont spend money rehabilitating. Dont accept excuses that they were high, drunk etc when they shot, stabbed, beat up or stole whatever.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by Jammer
    They HAVE to be on the same level, because you have to define them as DRUGS. That's the whole point. Marijuana is just an 'illegal' drug (generally in most places), and the others are not.

If caffeine and nicotine aren't drugs, what do you suggest they are?
    Because, Einstein, Marijuana has very different, and many fold worse, effects.
    Until you prove otherwise, I shall assume you are an idiot.

I don't care whether or not people do it. Everyone I know that does it (which is about 3 people) claim that it's harmless and has no effect on them... Yet, they never attempted to go to college, one of them dropped out of high school when he was going, and none of them have jobs are really do anything other than party. People can say it's harmless all they want, but from what I've seen it can ruin your life.

Sorry for my english, I usually speak french but I just had to answer this question)

The problem isn't the drug itself. The problem comes from the reasons why and how someone would use it.
    If a brother or a sister or a friend steels to get it, then maybe the problem is elsewhere and it's time for people around that person to look at themselves instead of juging.
    Marijuana is far from being nocive. Human beings are much worse from my point of view.
    No need to prove anything, I assume myself as an idiot

It is a very complx issue...

I my self smoke the herb occasionally, I'd say about once a week usually. Me and one of my friends usually blaze on the weekends. For me...it's definately not habit forming, I enjoy smoking marijuana but I am by no means addicted. I smoke when I get the chance and have someone else to enjoy it with. Sometimes I go a month or two without smoking, sometimes I smoke several days in a row. I have never felt any pressing urge to do it though, no physical symptoms of addiction.

At it's base level I believe there is nothing wrong with smoking weed. It's not physically addictive, and it isn't much worse for your body than drinking or smoking cigarettes.

I do agree however that it can still cause many problems. Often when looking to buy it, you will come across very untrustworthy and unsavory characters (although if mj was decriminalized, this wouldn't be a problem). Also for certain weak willed individuals it can become a habit (psychological addiction is another animal completely), and lead to them becoming a burnout/loser/waste of life. Plus, although I believe it's affects to be much less than those of alcohol when it comes to coordination, it's still dangerous to drive impaired.

I don't know whether it should be legalised or not, but I do know that I enjoy it. And when used in moderation and with responsibility, it is no worse a drug than alcohol.
    Most wanted cars:

Ford GT, Aston Martin DB9, Nissan Skyline R-34 V-Spec II, 2004 SVT Cobra Mustang, VW Golf R32, TVR Cerbera 4.5, Ford Focus RS, Aston Martin Vanquish S

Still waiting.....Shelby Cobra, Shelby GR1, 2006 Ford Lightning, Next generation SVT Mustang Cobra 2006? Mazda Speed RX8

Quote Originally Posted by RealCashCFO
    btw alcohol kills more people in 1 year than marijuana has since the beginning of time.
    if more people were smoking it it would cause just as much car accidents as alcohol, plus marijuana aperantly has as much as three times the harmful toxins as cigrettes.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Turbo
    if more people were smoking it it would cause just as much car accidents as alcohol, plus marijuana aperantly has as much as three times the harmful toxins as cigrettes.
    1) The average "heavy" marijuana user (at least over the age of 20) smokes around 1 joint per week.

2) How many cigarattes does the average "heavy" cigarette smoker have in a week?

3) Marijuana is not addictive.

Anyway, I don't consider pot to be "cool" at all, but I do use it on occasion. My brother and I grew 9 plants last summer, but we would never sell it. That's just stupid. Also, I would never use it if something important was coming up soon after.

As is the problem with basically every social issue in the world, the stupid, irresponsible people are the ones causing all the problems, and everyone else gets the reputation for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    1) The average "heavy" marijuana user (at least over the age of 20) smokes around 1 joint per week.

2) How many cigarattes does the average "heavy" cigarette smoker have in a week?

3) Marijuana is not addictive.

Anyway, I don't consider pot to be "cool" at all, but I do use it on occasion. My brother and I grew 9 plants last summer, but we would never sell it. That's just stupid. Also, I would never use it if something important was coming up soon after.

As is the problem with basically every social issue in the world, the stupid, irresponsible people are the ones causing all the problems, and everyone else gets the reputation for it.
    Yes, but the majority of people who use it are irresponsible idiots, but some people do use it responsibly. You could make the same arguement about guns, alcohol and a bunch of other shit. Like I said, most people can't use the stuff in a responsible fashion so it should remain banned.
    My brother and I grew 9 plants last summer, but we would never sell it.
    What? Why not? I know it would be a risk to sell the stff but you could get quite a pay-day. You could be ****ing hustler. Many have made millions selling drugs.

I'm from Jamaica, Queens in New York City. I've seen people selling drugs like Marijuana, Cocaine, and once I saw some guy selling a "smoke Crack starter kit", complete with a very small bag of crack and a crack pipe. But not once did I even contemplate the idea of trying them out, not for social status or personal pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Anyway, I don't consider pot to be "cool" at all, but I do use it on occasion. My brother and I grew 9 plants last summer.
    why? it's bad and illegal. I don't consider it Socially acceptable.
    Last edited by Batmobile_Turbo; 01-30-2004 at 10:39 PM.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Turbo
    why? it's bad and illegal. I don't consider it Socially acceptable.
    The legality of pot has little to do with any arguments I might have against it. Gay Marriage is still illegal in the USA; does that make the entire idea of it unacceptable?

And what do you mean "it's bad"?

I have tryed weed on a number of occasions...i personally dont like it i cant help butlaugh and feel hungery half an hour later...hows that fun?
    I personally smoke tobacco (rolled filterless smokes to be more precise) and i enjoy that on occasion i only smoke about 5 a day and compared to some pack a day smokers that is not bad at all. Here in australia your aloud to grow 2 plants under 2 metres and your only alloud to carry so many joints on you and your not aloud to sell...likewise if you are caught with it the cops will discard it off you...strange rule...
    I personally dont find it socially acceptable of course normal cigarette smokers nowdays are considerd satin nowdays we are slowly being forced to stand outside of almost every building like strays.

Thread Information