Thread: New Ferrari 488 GTB, Porsche Cayman GT4 and Ford Focus RS ...

New Ferrari 488 GTB, Porsche Cayman GT4 and Ford Focus RS ...

The upcoming Geneva Motor Show promises to be a feast for those who love exciting automobiles, and who doesn't? One of the primary reasons will be the introduction of the all-new Ferrari 488 GTB. Replacing the 458 Italia, it also marks the fortieth anniversary of the 308 GTB, which explains the type name. While the styling is clearly derived from its predecessor, the engine used is new; a twin-turbocharged V8, good for 660 bhp. It is so powerful that it is equipped with a Variable Torque Management system. Sophisticated aerodynamics ensure that the 488 GTB sticks to the ground even better, which helped it post a very impressive 1'23" lap time at Fiorano.
    Porsche, meanwhile, will introduce the Cayman GT4 in exactly four weeks time. This grown-up version of the Cayman features a 911 Carrera S derived engine, which produces 370 bhp. Further upgrades have also been made to the suspension to improve the already superb handling just a little more. Although the very appealing Cayman GT4 will not debut until Geneva, Porsche will already take your order.
    At a special event yesterday, Ford previewed the third generation Focus RS. Powered by a 320+ bhp straight four engine, this is the first Focus RS equipped with all-wheel drive. This features sophisticated torque vectoring to ensure traction is at its maximum regardless of the conditions. Further details of this very hot hatchback will be announced in a month's time.

Enjoy the links:

2015 Ferrari 488 GTB - Images, Specifications and Information

2015 Ford Focus RS - Images, Specifications and Information

2015 Porsche Cayman GT4 - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Greatest trio of reveals ever?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Nah:

• The Ford is fat and ugly
    • The Ferrari has a sinner turbo
    • The Porsche has a silly preposterous wing

Having said that, can I have one of each?

Well except for the Focus, I actually don't really like it much.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

There were worse days of reveals.

I'll have the Cayman. I'd take one over a 911 (shock, horror).

What's your issue with the RS? Just too much?

Too much indeed.

Too much power, too much grip, too much four wheel drive, too much ugliness, too much weight, too much cornering speeds.

Honestly, in those kind of cars to get close to the limit (because let's be honest, the limit is where the fun is at) you've got to reach insane speeds and frankly:

1. I do not have the talent to control the car properly at those speeds on public roads
    2. When, sooner or later, the worst inevitably happens I'm going to be killed to death

These days I find myself much more interested in the 130bhp sportscar from Japan (even if it is slow, which it is) than a turbocharged quadzillion horsepower all wheel drive mega hatch. If I wanted a fast-ish family hatchback the ST version has all the performance I'm ever going to need (or be able to master somewhat with a modicum of safely).

Also, lately I'm increasingly finding satisfaction in driving car which flows from corner to corner at eight tenths rather than going sideways in every corner in a cloud of smoke.

Damn! Must be getting old.

(That doesn't mean that I do not like to drive in the accepted dab-of-oppo manner any more, just that it is not as much of an urge as it once was)
    Last edited by Ferrer; 02-06-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    2. When, sooner or later, the worst inevitably happens I'm going to be killed to death
    I laughed aloud.

We are all getting old.

I think I'll have to get my kicks from tracking a car in future; autocross, maybe the odd track day, go karts and what not. It can be done. For driving around in the city something fun and practical is ideal. FiST!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    There were worse days of reveals.

I'll have the Cayman. I'd take one over a 911 (shock, horror).

What's your issue with the RS? Just too much?
    I'll gladly have the Cayman too.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGVWojMMeg4&index=93&list=WL"]Porsche Cayman GT4 | INSIDE evo - YouTube[/ame]

A bit of a side note- how tall is that German dude? And how German can he get? Holy crap.

I love the RS, it's a Subaru Impreza STI hatchback from Ford. Nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 02-06-2015 at 06:59 PM.

It'll be interesting to see the RS' price. I think it will be at least $~35,000. If priced that much, then the STI is SOL. It's already enough that STIs aren't selling well, especially with that old EJ engine.
    "Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Too much indeed.

Too much power, too much grip, too much four wheel drive, too much ugliness, too much weight, too much cornering speeds.

Honestly, in those kind of cars to get close to the limit (because let's be honest, the limit is where the fun is at) you've got to reach insane speeds and frankly:

1. I do not have the talent to control the car properly at those speeds on public roads

These days I find myself much more interested in the 130bhp sportscar from Japan (even if it is slow, which it is) than a turbocharged quadzillion horsepower all wheel drive mega hatch. If I wanted a fast-ish family hatchback the ST version has all the performance I'm ever going to need (or be able to master somewhat with a modicum of safely).

Also, lately I'm increasingly finding satisfaction in driving car which flows from corner to corner at eight tenths rather than going sideways in every corner in a cloud of smoke.

Damn! Must be getting old.

(That doesn't mean that I do not like to drive in the accepted dab-of-oppo manner any more, just that it is not as much of an urge as it once was)
    They still have the Fiesta ST for you - light, FWD, fun.

I would happily drive a Fiesta; it would also fit better in our twisty narrow country lanes.
    Visca Catalunya!

Right, so.. something for everyone there. I'm assuming the Cayman GT4 is the most up your alley. I'd for sure want the heck out of one of all of them, but least of all the Focus. Replace it with a theorecial Fiesta RS and you might have my perfect 3 car garage.

I would indeed rock the Cayman. Six cylinder normally aspirated engine with a manual gearbox? Count me in. The styling is a little bit over the top for me, but I guess you can't have everything.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm sure the panels could be replaced with those from the lesser varients easily enough. Given it's a GT department product though, they should at least have some functional reason for being that way.

Thread Information