Thread: Body Reconstruction

Body Reconstruction

i am looking at Datsun utes for a sound off car.
    the problem is that the trays are to long.
    what i did was modify one on the photo editorso it comes out looking like wot i want it to.
    i was wondering if you could do this in real life.
    wot would be involved?
    how much would it cost?
    are there any other options?
    or is there a different kind of ute that would have a smaller tray?
    can any body help?

I think "sound off car" must be a colloquialism... can you define it for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I think "sound off car" must be a colloquialism... can you define it for me?
    from what i know, you just go to competitions with it and see how can produce the most sound from your audio. or should i say "a car built for sound"
    and what is a colloquialism.
    p.s-do you know anything about body reconstruction?
    Last edited by GTR Dreamer; 06-12-2004 at 09:21 PM.

Oh, okay... I though it was probably a kiwi term for a souped-up car or something... like you're "sounding off" or something like that I don't know A colloquialism is basically just a "local term". In this case, I thought it was probably a term that was unique to New Zealand.

Anyway, all of the hardcore sound competition cars i've seen have been vans, or something similar. Usually there are numerous spreakers facing inward, and the outside is covered in a noise-buffering material. If you're going to load speakers into the truckbed, make sure nobody else is going to be around (and that you're not nearby) when you produce maximum volume. A truck doesn't sound practical for this type of thing. Then again, I don't really see the practicality in sound competitions anyway It's got really nothing to do with cars.

Anyway, on the subject of body reconstruction, sure, it's very possible. Many hot-rodders and custom car builders have done this type of thing before. Really, on a fairly basic truck like this, all that you'd need would be a decent experienced auto body man, and a machine shop. The chassis itself would need to be separated, have part of the bed removed, and then be welded back together. Of course, it's not quite as easy as just saying that, but you understand what I mean. The driveshaft would need to be shortened by a machine shop, and all (if any) parts from the cut-out section would need to be relocated.

A project like this, from the way I see it, wouldn't really require too many parts. Best case scenario, it wouldn't require any new ones at all. However, to get it all done properly, you'll be spending a lot of money on labour costs, especially from the bodyman, who will need to have had lots of experience. Body work is not cheap, by any means, so if you're friends with one, that might help

thanks.
    sounds pretty strait foward.

Well, if you're wanting to make a serious custom sound competition car, and you don't have thousands and thousands of extra dollars floating around, then it's really not worth the effort. I don't even see the point of these competitions anyway.

can be done with a...........to

it can be done with a chevy too, i've always thought those things were oversized.
    do you think it looks better?
    Last edited by GTR Dreamer; 06-13-2004 at 10:29 PM.

Thread Information