Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Following the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans

#98 GTE Am leading Aston straight into the wall, looks like some sort of brake failure. What a bastard race (again) for Aston Martin.

Edit: Radio LeMans speculating that Paul Dalla Lama's foot just slipped off the brake pedal.
    Last edited by pimento; 06-14-2015 at 05:19 AM.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Poor Pedro Lamy...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Spirit of the Race award? Someone suggested it should go to the person responsible for changing 128 fuel pumps in the CLM car (CLM are the other non-Hy LMP1 team, with one car... they're currently beating the remaining Nissan. Woo!) but yea. I'm not sure who I'd nominate now. Has been a generally good race with a few really gutsy efforts gone in.

128 fuel pumps? That's madness.

If nothing strange happens the race will finish with a Porsche one-two and Chevrolet will win GTE.
    Visca Catalunya!

Rain, rain, rain!!!
    Visca Catalunya!

Also, back to the thread title, I sprung the 10 euros for the official feed this year. I've been alternating the audio between RLM and the official one, they've both been pretty good. RLM is a bit more enthusiastic and enagaged with the fans, but the video feed commentary is (obviously) a bit more in sync with the vision and more focussed on the action rather than some chit chat. Been good to have them both there, I wouldn't want to have to pick one for the whole race.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    128 fuel pumps? That's madness.
    He may have been exaggerating slightly. They went through some, which is some more than most did.

Welp, looks like a strong Porsche victory, won on merit without major nastiness befalling Audi. That's a good way for them to win. The danger I fear now is that with Piech out at Audi and both Porsche and Audi being under the VAG umbrella, they'll move Audi to F1 (not a bad thing for F1) leaving, again, only one properly funded LMP1 factory team in WEC. The ACO needs to be courting Toyota and Nissan to be in there for the long haul, as well as perhaps dancing with GM/Ford for the longer term. Getting Ford into being an engine supplier for LMP2 would be a good start to my mind, but ultimately they need more P1 factory support.

I'd also like to see the GT classes align with GT2/GT3/GT4 just because I feel that it would encourage more manufactures to get involved due to the wider breadth of races open to such cars. I know that GT2 is basically a dead class, but GT4 are probably too slow for the race. If GT2 could be revived, it could be LMP1/2/3 and GT2/3. Just an armchair thought anyway.

Race is over! Porsche take their 17th win with the #19 car! #17 in second, which.. well, nearly perfect.

#47 KCMG take LMP2 in front of #38 JOTA and #26 G-Drive

#64 Corvette takes GTE Pro by 5 laps in front of #71 and #51 Ferraris run by AF Corse

#72 SMP Racing Ferrari takes GTE Am ahead of #77 Dempsey Porsche and #62 Scuderia Corsa (team race?) Ferrari.

Congratulations to Porsche for their excellent one-two win. Nick Tandy cemented the win with his excellent night shifts.

Also congratulation to Chevrolet for winning the GTE class.

By the way, GTE is more or less GT2. Next year the GTE class will be open to cars with carbon fibre chassis and in the future there's rumours of phasing out the GTE/GT2 cars and running the GT class with GT3-spec cars.
    Visca Catalunya!

Either way I just feel that opening it up to the wider used specs will open up the options to more manufacturers and more variety in the GT classes, which might (hopefully will) spur more interest in the LMP1 class.

As for Toyota, they were slower this year than last year, but at least they finished. Last year they quite capably showed why you need three cars to win LMP1 by having both of their cars crash themselves out of contention. This year they showed that while you can run two cars start to finish with no major issues, they actually do have to be on the pace.

#7 Audi got the fastest race lap around any LeMans configuration at 3:17.475 and 248.5 kph average speed apparently.

The ACO wants to limit the performance of the LMP1 cars as the speed differential between them and the GT cars is bordering on the dangerous. So maybe, just maybe, this record will stay for quite some time.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Welp, looks like a strong Porsche victory, won on merit without major nastiness befalling Audi. That's a good way for them to win. The danger I fear now is that with Piech out at Audi and both Porsche and Audi being under the VAG umbrella, they'll move Audi to F1 (not a bad thing for F1) leaving, again, only one properly funded LMP1 factory team in WEC. The ACO needs to be courting Toyota and Nissan to be in there for the long haul, as well as perhaps dancing with GM/Ford for the longer term. Getting Ford into being an engine supplier for LMP2 would be a good start to my mind, but ultimately they need more P1 factory support.

I'd also like to see the GT classes align with GT2/GT3/GT4 just because I feel that it would encourage more manufactures to get involved due to the wider breadth of races open to such cars. I know that GT2 is basically a dead class, but GT4 are probably too slow for the race. If GT2 could be revived, it could be LMP1/2/3 and GT2/3. Just an armchair thought anyway.
    Totally off topic, but if Ford were to get into Le Mans with the new GT, what class are they running in?

Limiting the P1s is OK, I didn't see anything this year to show that the speed differential under race conditions was dangerous though. I guess if they go to GT3 it could be though. I'd rather see GT3 sped up or GT2 revived though.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Totally off topic, but if Ford were to get into Le Mans with the new GT, what class are they running in?
    Not off topic at all. They'd be in GTE Pro, as they would be a factory backed team with no amateur drivers. In the following years they could sell a car or two to the gentlemen driver teams who could field it with an amateur driver to be in the GTE Am field.

Thread Information