Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F1 2016

F1 2016

New thread for the year because why not.

Big news first is that there will be an elimination deal happening for Q3, apparently someone gets knocked out every 90 seconds? I guess they found a job for Maldonado after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniff
    Formula 1 has revealed first details of a new qualifying format for the 2016 season which is claimed to make Saturdays fun for children of all ages.

Under the proposed new format, all the drivers drive round and round the track until the music stops. The last one to cross the line is then ‘out’ and this continues until someone has won a kazoo.

The remaining drivers then move on to Q2 where they must drive as quickly as they can whilst approaching a drawing of a donkey upon which they must pin a tail. Furthest from the correct spot in each turn is then sent to sit on the side of the room and watch, preferably without crying.

For the final part of qualifying, all remaining drivers must drive very quickly to find a good hiding place somewhere around the circuit. The last one to be found is the winner.

All drivers can then return to the pits for lashings of Tizer and cake.

‘Smashing!’ said Claire Williams, jauntily.
    Source
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I don't understand the new qualifying system.

Also, the Mercedeses are racking up more kilometres than when they tested the new E-Class.

And Honda has found a way to not break down aparently.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ferrari and Red Bull looking sharp so far. One supposes Mercedes is holding something in reserve and getting big miles on the odo must be making other teams nervous.

On command Ferrer, you made the Honda PU asplode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fake Charlie Whiting
    We're going to start 2016 with the old Qualy format & switch to the new format in Spain because that's how the pinnacle of Motorsport works.
    Because best in the world.

Benzo looking good in some variable conditions. I'll tip Hamilton for the win (out on a limb there, eh?).

Force India seemingly sharp early, and in testing.

The new qualifying system is an utterly brilliant idea.
    Visca Catalunya!

Why did I sit down and watch that? It surely won't last.

The new format got me thinking about the old methods - the 1 hour do your best, and the single flying lap that I used to remember.

The most exciting is probably how it was most recently. I would like to see unlimited tire use in qualy, but other than that, it was good how it was.

It's confirmed to be back to last year's for Bahrain. It was ok in Q1 and Q2, although unnecessary, and an utter farce in Q3.

I agreed to go out to lunch today before I remember that I would miss the race by doing so. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be disappointed by this turn of events.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    It's confirmed to be back to last year's for Bahrain. It was ok in Q1 and Q2, although unnecessary, and an utter farce in Q3.

I agreed to go out to lunch today before I remember that I would miss the race by doing so. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be disappointed by this turn of events.
    Welp, so much for that idea.

Lucky one for Alonso.
    Of course it sucks when you have to be so unlucky to get your luck...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Alonso's crash was utterly massive indeed. One of the commentators on Spanish telly noted that had he had the Halo on his car he would've most probably not been able to get out.

Other than the three tyres available made for interesting strategies. Grosjean did very well with the new Haas and Verstappen should learn to calm down a bit.
    Visca Catalunya!

I felt like it was a bit of a strange one. Frustrating to see some lines forming at times in the race.

Max acted in a stupid and childish way; leave that kinda talk for behind the doors. If you are frustrated by your team mate, you have to pass him, as hard as the track may make it.

Grosjean and Haas with a great result. Very impressive. That is big money in the bank for them. I thought they'd do better than they were given credit for, but that was a homerun.

Melbourne is getting a bit of a history with out-of-place finishes. Recall also Webber finishing in 5th (?) with Minardi that time.

A very entertaining race. Passing throughout the race from 4th position to the back of the pack, every car looking racey - even the Manors! (barring the Force Indias). Lots of aggression, great defence, strategy, multi-turn passes. Bahrain 2016 is why I put up with still watching F1.

The only thing you could ask for would be more action for first, but you can only wish, right?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 04-06-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Welp, that sure was a Sochi F1 race. Besides Vettel getting punted twice and the medium tyre being a total cock-up for RBR, that wasn't much of anything.

Thread Information