Thread: Who has...

Who has...

Who has pictures of donkervoort D8E; It is a caterham tuned by Giop Donkervoort and it has 3 engines. The best is the one with 210hp which needs 4 seconds to 100km and it has 237 max speed.

Quote Originally Posted by thanos
    Who has pictures of donkervoort D8E; It is a caterham tuned by Giop Donkervoort and it has 3 engines. The best is the one with 210hp which needs 4 seconds to 100km and it has 237 max speed.
    Donkervoort make their own cars, they are not just tuning Caterhams.

The confusion perhaps come that it is a copy (and update) of Lotus 7 congiuration as was the Caterham.

Where did you hear 3 engines ??
    The D8E-210 sounds like the one you're talking about and it's an inline 4.
    See www.donkervoort.com
    and http://www.donkervoort.nl/car/techspecs.pdf has all the specs, including 2 of the 3 pieces of data you give
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My dad stores his car in an old greenhouse, and there is a guy that stores his donkervoort there too Looks pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by thanos
    It is a caterham tuned by Giop Donkervoort and it has 3 engines.
    Its definently not a tuned caterham... (the caterham R500 would easily beat the Donkervoort D8E-210!!) The donkervoort is just a "wannabe" Caterham Seven (Or Lotus Seven)
    The difference between the Caterham and the Donkervoort are that the Donkervoort is more luxurius than the Caterham.. for example it has leather seats and wood implants, whilst the Caterham is pure driversfun and no luxury..

ohh... and by the way.. the engines are 1.8 litre turbo inline 4's from Audi..
    "Power, Beauty, Soul" - Aston Martin

You are right but who has pictures; About the three engines I didn'n knew the world type .

From http://dvnews.news-letter.nl:

"Lelystad, 17 November 2005 – Exactly a year ago Donkervoort pulverised the lap record for street automobiles at the legendary Nordschleife. With ample 14 seconds faster than the Porsche Carrera GT an overwhelming achievement, which is why it took no less than a year before an answer was received. This came from EDO Competition, who broke the record with a FIA GT prepared Porsche 996 GT2R and finished after 7,15,63. But again the manufacturer from Lelystad had a fast and outnumbering answer: barely a few weeks after this record lap of Porsche Donkervoort placed the record at 7,14,89."

You can read the rest of the story. It's quite interesting.
    But what I wanted to undeline is that Donkervoort isn't a Caterham "wannabe".

Quote Originally Posted by jones.dk
    The donkervoort is just a "wannabe" Caterham Seven.
    In fact (even if they share the same architecture and technical concept) Caterham and Donkervoort don't even play in the same league. Caterhams -and others alike- have the purpose of offering to the market a cheap and very effective sports car, and that's brilliant. But the Donkervoorts are engineering masterpieces at whatever price it costs... And that's quite more $ than Caterhams, but it shows in many aspects, from the performance to -yes- the quality of the product.

D8 E

D8 270 RS

Last edited by tiagodovale; 02-19-2006 at 08:46 PM.

THAT is kool.
    All about the t-tops

....... The donkervoort is just a "wannabe" Caterham Seven (Or Lotus Seven)......
    Oh man you are so wrong here
    But I think what tiagodovale says is pretty clear.

@ Thanos, the man's first name is not Giop but Joop.

Some of my Donkey pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As finishing touch god created the dutch.
    http://peter.terpnet.nl

I love it "engineering masterpiece".
    OK. I see "chromed suspension arms" - so it's not that.
    I see OUTBOARD suspension - so it's not that.
    The engine is Audi and turbo-charged as in many otehr fast appliations - so it's not that.
    The interior IS a nice finish, generally looks better than the stock "clean" lok the Brit makers adopt. Is the race one the same ??

Can someone who knows them well explain what is the "masterpiece in teh ENGINEERING" ?
    I DO see more attention paid to high speed performance in the aero components on the front and rear end.
    This is an EXCELLENT car, but anyone thinking it's radically different from a modern Caterham or Westfield or Z-cars twin is working in Donkervoorts PR department
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hehehe I wish I worked in Donkervort PR.

I said that Donkervoort and Caterham (and others) share a concept (so I guess they aren't radically diferent). But I think the easiest way to show that they are building a masterpiece is to underline this: they have the fastest street car in the old Nurburgring. And their challengers are Porches... Can you compare the Porsche engineering to Caterham? Westfield? Z-cars?

Donkervoort beat the Porsche Carrera GT time of 7:32 by 15 fifteen seconds.
    The record is on the hands of Joop Donkervoort with a time of 7:18.01. He says this feat was possible due to "the special configuration of the suspension and the enormously stiff chassis of the 270 RS". And it was the German Donkervoort dealer Michael Düchting, who placed the lap record in name of Donkervoort, not a professional driver.

Donkervoort says the 270 RS is capable of 0 to 100 kph in less than 4 seconds and can stop from 100 km to a standstill in just 2.4.

Of course the description of the technical characteristics of the Donkervoorts may not be that surprising: but then, doing it right makes a big difference.

Even so, here it goes:
    The chassis is a tubular, laser cut, steel spaceframe (not suprising) with copper weldings;
    The body is made of aluminium (not that tipical) with carbon parts;
    The front suspension is independent by double wishbones, separate anti-roll bar (not surprising);
    The rear suspension is independent by double wishbones and trailing arms (Caterhams have a de Dion axle located by lower A-frame and upper radius arm.);
    Both's height and rebound are fully adjustable by handgrips;
    The weight is of 630 kg (1380 pounds) for a 210 Bhp (154 kW) complete car (the D8 E).

All cars are hand built in a small facility in The Netherlands to high quality standards rarely found on the kit-cars constructed on the British side of the North Sea. The build quality is matched by the chassi's excellent road holding.

Donkervoort teamed up with Audi exclusively from 1999, using various versions of the 1.8 T.

There should be some kind of health warning on this thread.
    Makes me feel quite ill....
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Its definently not a tuned caterham... (the caterham R500 would easily beat the Donkervoort D8E-210!!)
    Hi Jones!
    Of course it would!

But you can't compare the radical R500 to a standard D8 E.
    You should compare it to the equally radical 270 RS!

Cheers!
    Tiago
    Last edited by tiagodovale; 02-20-2006 at 06:22 PM.

And if you do I found this thread, page 5:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=448051#post448051

The times in Nurburgring:
    7:14 - Donkervoort D8 270 RS - 2005
    7:55 - Caterham R500 Superlight - 2000
    Last edited by tiagodovale; 02-20-2006 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiagodovale
    But I think the easiest way to show that they are building a masterpiece is to underline this: they have the fastest street car in the old Nurburgring.
    "all" they did was pay attention to high speed aero. ( see later )
    Somethign most Caterham/Westfield/Stryker oowners dont' reallly care much abotu so they dont' bother themselves. Getting there is part of the fun.
    Radicals are street cars too
    And their challengers are Porches... Can you compare the Porsche engineering to Caterham? Westfield? Z-cars?
    Of course you can, you can compare everyoens engineering
    Porsceh apply technology to make up for the inadequacies fo getting "fatter" makes necessary. Lotus 7s are all abotu minimalist.
    Donkervoort says the 270 RS is capable of 0 to 100 kph in less than 4 seconds and can stop from 100 km to a standstill in just 2.4.
    3.1 for the Caterham ( reflecting final drive ratios probably )
    Not seen a braking time for the modern ones, but as they all have similar tyre and brakes then they'll be abotu the same.

Even so, here it goes:
    The chassis is a tubular, laser cut, steel spaceframe (not suprising) with copper weldings;
    The body is made of aluminium (not that tipical) with carbon parts;
    THAT is THE most typical. Nosecones are usually 'glass the rest alu.
    Where are you getting it's NOT "typical" ?
    [quote]The front suspension is independent by double wishbones, separate anti-roll bar (not surprising);[/quote}
    That it is all still outboard is
    The rear suspension is independent by double wishbones and trailing arms (Caterhams have a de Dion axle located by lower A-frame and upper radius arm.);
    LOTS of 7s are independant rears.
    Especially the CATERHAM CSRs !!!!
    Both's height and rebound are fully adjustable by handgrips;
    The weight is of 630 kg (1380 pounds) for a 210 Bhp (154 kW) complete car (the D8 E).

All cars are hand built in a small facility in The Netherlands to high quality standards rarely found on the kit-cars constructed on the British side of the North Sea. The build quality is matched by the chassi's excellent road holding.

Donkervoort teamed up with Audi exclusively from 1999, using various versions of the 1.8 T.
    It's the engine that is ginvg the Donk the grunt to push past the not insurmountable challenge of a 7-copy shape
    The wings it sprouts for the 'Ring aren't road legal tho are they ????

Let's remember the Donk is a great little car, BUT it owes all its prowess to Colin Chapman and isnt' anything "special" that others haven't already tried and bettered. Frankly, I'd like to see them go inboard on the front, dropping the drag and getting FASTER TIMES !!! THere's room in the world for plenty of 7-copies each with a different advantage.......
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-20-2006 at 07:10 PM.

Thread Information