Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The worst car you've ever driven...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    in 1967 cost about 60 euro additionally. The standard right hand dial was a bit barren.
    I know! In fact i've seen a picture of it in an old brochure, but thought it was standard only in some country spec. Never thought the lady who was our friend and original and only former owner of the car, would order such a thing as a rev counter.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    I know! In fact i've seen a picture of it in an old brochure, but thought it was standard only in some country spec. Never thought the lady who was our friend and original and only former owner of the car, would order such a thing as a rev counter.
    Actually I put some pressure to buy it, it looked soo much better, and the red line was so far way (was it 6500??)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Actually I put some pressure to buy it, it looked soo much better, and the red line was so far way (was it 6500??)
    It's 6000, but it goes easily into it. So we always have to be tender with the right foot. The last thing I want to do is to arm the little thing.

It's 6000, but it goes easily into it. So we always have to be tender with the right foot. The last thing I want to do is to arm the little thing.
    well the whole 47 BHP came at 6250, so you had to be a bit rude from time to time
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

well the whole 47 BHP came at 6250, so you had to be a bit rude from time to time

Ok, so maybe I'm wrong. I've already posted a photo of me driving my car where you can actually see the rev counter, but I can't seem to find it. I guess it is maybe 6500. In a car like that, you never think of it very often do you?

i'm only 14 so ... the worst car i ever drive was a toyota pod in gt-concept
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

Ok, so maybe I'm wrong. I've already posted a photo of me driving my car where you can actually see the rev counter, but I can't seem to find it. I guess it is maybe 6500. In a car like that, you never think of it very often do you?

actually all the time, even on the motorway it ran dangerously close to the red area.

I'd love to own a 131 Abarth.
    I remember them on the RAC ! I LOVE the Fiat TC. Great engine in full tune
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

the Worst...

I've driven some bad cars so far, and I'm still young (19). I work in the service dept. of a GM Dealership, and the worst cars I've driven are rotten old Pontiac Trans-sports (the older ones with the wind shield extending out over the engine, and beyond), a Pontiac Fiero that nearly put me off cheap mid-engine cars (until I got my MR2 ), and a particularly NASTY Plymouth Reliant (the dreaded K-car).

I'l start with the trans-sport. also known as Chevy's Lumina van, these POS's don't age well. There's always something wrong with the engine, several switches and dials in the dash broken or missing, at least ONE door handle that doesn't work... one in particular had a copious amount of coffee and other liquids spilt inside, and the interior was simply rotten, making it almost undriveable. The Paint being in miserable condition, the driver's side door handle completely missing and an exhaust leak didn't help any, either.
    needless to say, it wasn't any fun.

the fiero... well, it wasn't THAT bad, but the driving characteristics where so pathetic, I was beginning to have second thoughts on an 86' MR2 I had my eye on, at the time (this proved to be a rather silly fear, obviously. I quickly found that car to be MUCH nicer, and I quickly fell in love with it.).
    a worthless engine, ridiculous suspension and handling, overly stiff steering, and a nasty odeur put me right off.

but those pale in comparison... to the K-car. Worthless pile that one is. For starters, the styling. how god damned hard is it to make something that ISN'T nauseating to look at? raise the back end a little, round out the edges... jeez, it looks like the designer was 8 years old and drew some geometric shapes with a ruler, and they left it at that.

now, this particular car I'm talking about, I first did it one year ago. As soon as I "opened" the door, It's little chiming dealie let loose. Either the wiring was torched, or it was possessed by satan, as it made various dings and dongs in random tones and scales. just getting in and hearing this thing was already sickening.

the carpet was almost completely worn through all throughout the cabin, and it's black plastic was greasy and filthy. I wished I had gloves, or a crucifix. After being assaulted by a surprisingly eerie and rather offensive door chime, I started this pile up, and was greeted with what sounded a sick chihuahua(Spelling?) crying in pain. when it finally let loose after three tries, the motor grumbled and turned into now what sounding like little elves shovelling coal into the steamer of a large, ancient ship. blah.

driving it wasn't any better, as the Automatic tranny was sloppy, and the shifter had trouble finding the gears. when it finally worked, it choppily ploughed away towards where I was going. Thankfully, the ride didn't last long. what a piece of...

As for biggest dissapointment, a 68' Camaro. ye gads, those things drive like absolute piles. it took a full 5 minutes of fiddling with the stick to get it into reverse. the clutch and steering was far too heavy, and the brakes didn't work worth a damn. It sounded nice, it looked nice, it was fairly comfortable, and it sure went pressing on the peddle, but forget enjoying any other aspects of driving the thing. It belonged to the Body Shop manager, who had knee trouble and could barely walk (he had to use a walker), so Imagine my surprise when he rolled up driving the thing almost every day during summer.
    Last edited by Radoman; 10-24-2004 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typo's.

I wouldn't like this thread to die right now, so here's my tale:

I drove more than one Morris Marina 1.5D. What about that?

Hardest steering, clutch and even acelerator in the world! The carter keeps banging the floor and it goes no further than 110 km/h.
    It's so noisy inside and out that it's considered anti-social.

Best of all, at night, when your neighbourhood is quiet, you can ear it rusting away!
    Last edited by McReis; 10-26-2004 at 01:11 PM.

The worst car anyone in my family has ever had was a Ford Galaxy 2.0 petrol. Drives like a boat, and crappy build quality both on the interior and with the electrics. The gutters would fill with leaves, so water would flood the cabin and short everything.

right now D.C. and Miami., but also London
    the worst car I ever drove was a 1982 Metro GL or something. It sucked. It was slow and tin, the gears are so close together, that I kept slipping into 4th instead of 2nd and the stupid car would stall. It was damp in the winter and just a horrid car all around.. I also drove a 1986 Oldsmobile Delta, reminded me of a steam ship, large and just belching smoke! I hated both of them.
    Mustangs/ TVRs, M3s, 911 Turbos...make me smile from ear to ear...everything else..just makes me smile.

well im not gonna list any of the used cars that ive driven, since any car can be crappy if its been beat on enough...

some crappy new cars that ive driven: (i used to work at a GM dealership)
    Buick Century (but the Regal GS isnt bad if you dont mind torque-steer)
    Hummer H2 (bloated, ugly, cheap plastic interior bits)
    Chevy Cavalier Coupe (ugly, weak, feels cheap, below-average handling)
    Chevy Impala LS (ugly exterior, ugly interior, boring drive)
    Chevy Monte Carlo (ugly, boring, impractical)
    Chevy Blazer 4x4...not Trailblazer (feels cheap, poor driver)
    Chevy Camaro V6 (slow, feels cheap, bloated, huge heavy doors)

Quote Originally Posted by BMW325
    well im not gonna list any of the used cars that ive driven, since any car can be crappy if its been beat on enough...

some crappy new cars that ive driven: (i used to work at a GM dealership)
    Buick Century (but the Regal GS isnt bad if you dont mind torque-steer)
    Hummer H2 (bloated, ugly, cheap plastic interior bits)
    Chevy Cavalier Coupe (ugly, weak, feels cheap, below-average handling)
    Chevy Impala LS (ugly exterior, ugly interior, boring drive)
    Chevy Monte Carlo (ugly, boring, impractical)
    Chevy Blazer 4x4...not Trailblazer (feels cheap, poor driver)
    Chevy Camaro V6 (slow, feels cheap, bloated, huge heavy doors)

amen there, buddy. I still work at a GM dealership, and get the slightly less revolting Pontiac versions of these cars.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radoman
    As for biggest disappointment, a 68' Camaro. ye gads, those things drive like absolute piles. it took a full 5 minutes of fiddling with the stick to get it into reverse. the clutch and steering was far too heavy, and the brakes didn't work worth a damn. It sounded nice, it looked nice, it was fairly comfortable, and it sure went pressing on the peddle, but forget enjoying any other aspects of driving the thing. It belonged to the Body Shop manager, who had knee trouble and could barely walk (he had to use a walker), so Imagine my surprise when he rolled up driving the thing almost every day during summer.
    *sigh* shakes head at the young folks indoctrinated with new cars.

Probably had manual steering and drum brakes. Get it with power discs and power steering, and it's a whole different ballgame. This was a fairly typical car for the 50's and 60's in that regard, in that it had none of the power stuff.

Strange you should put it that way, we briefly had a '66 Mustang 4-speed with manual steering and manual brakes, and I thought it was one of the most fun cars I'd ever driven. I found it to be just as maneuverable as ones with all the power stuff, but you just had to be hamhanded about it. It was a very "masculine" experience, you could say. And in fact, I like my current Mustang's brakes (front disc, rear drum) far better when I run them without the power boost than with. Maybe I'm just weird.

The clutches were so heavy back then because they didn't have the hydraulic boosters on them, and though I could live with it, it got to be a pain in the ass, too. Chevy Muncie transmissions were not ever known for their smooth shifting though...
    Last edited by jcp123; 11-13-2004 at 01:22 AM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information