Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Yeah, craigslist and other such sites popular with bottom-feeders like me have gone nuts in the last year. Those who've kept their jobs seem to have more discretionary income without the distractions of the outside world to spend it on. The new car market is also being yanked back-and-forth by the rental-car companies; they dumped a bunch of stock at the beginning and are now scrambling to build up their fleets again, even being so desperate as to buy used. Add on to all of that that there's a microchip shortage because of industrial disruptions (COVID, again) both in terms of raw materials and manufacturing.

So, yeah, buyer's market indeed...

WRXes tend to hold their value pretty well even when the market isn't nuts. My roommate has the final year of the hatch (in the range-topping Limited trim) and despite having 80,000 miles and being on its third engine, it's still worth around $20,000. If you're wondering and worried about the whole third-engine thing; remember to change and check your oil regularly!
    *seller's market* I think you mean.

Yeah, I think Subaru is stupid for not making a wagon WRX. They already make a wagon Impreza, dump a turbo motor in there, ditch the CVT and add a hood scoop.

The WRX is an enthusiast's car, they're pretty much the last manual transmission sedan out there not in FWD so there's going to be some demand. Some dealers had a manual Crosstrek and a manual wagon Impreza for maybe 20k, but too far from me to check out.

Oh yes, flat 4 Subarus love eating head gaskets haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin68 View Post
    I hope you get a good deal, soon.
    Until this chip shortage gets sorted out, I don't think so haha. But thanks.

Yep, definitely meant a seller's market but my fingers were, once again, insubordinate to my brain.

I believe this is the first generation of the WRX to not be soley offered with a manual transmission; a pretty impressive feat these days... If only all their cars didn't look like dogshit.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Yup, totally not buying a car this year.

https://jalopnik.com/you-will-not-be...ing-1847291708

I mean, I'm not in the market for a 4Runner but the prices the dealers are asking for are insane!

Johndick Guest
    This is the first model of the WRX that isn't solely available with a manual transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Johndick View Post
    This is the first model of the WRX that isn't solely available with a manual transmission.
    You mean STI? The WRX has a CVT version too.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yup, totally not buying a car this year.

https://jalopnik.com/you-will-not-be...ing-1847291708

I mean, I'm not in the market for a 4Runner but the prices the dealers are asking for are insane!
    Yes, the prices have gone crazy!

Well, just an update, I decided to get the most boring option... basically an appliance.

Ended up settling on a Honda HR-V. The Subaru Forester actually started firing on 3 cylinders once, I'm pretty desperate for something somewhat modern.

And I don't think anyone's done an Eggnog test in at least 4-5 years on this forum, so just for old time's sake, I've done one.

This is only a lease, so I can go for something more interesting later on. The car/chip crunch has been pretty brutal and it's a seller's market right now. Ended up being $6800 with taxes down, around $249 a month for a 3 year lease. Not a screaming deal, but fair for the market price.

Kinda disappointed about how boring my first car is, but heck, I need to get to work as a first priority.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not bad man gets the job done! Congratulations!

Boring for a first car? Well I think you have done very well. Congratulations!

Thank you! It's nice to have a modern car with Android Auto.

Thread Information