Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Subies are gonna be more fun but be ready with that $$$. And in NYC I assume you don't drive too much?

I like the Accord. Boring, gets the work done. Civic is fine, but ugly. Fit is similar; but very usable. Sowing engine motor.

EDIT: This has been kitdy's capsule car reviews.
    I read this as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Sables are gonna be more fun but be ready with that $$$.
    My man out here acting like a Mercury chauvinist.

I like the Fit: it has the proportions of a computer mouse or some other small rodent and I hear it's good fun to drive. Its price, space, and thrift with fuel only sweeten the deal.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Budget?

GT86?
    Maybe $30k to $35? I'm aiming as low as possible- economy is bad, I'm starting a new job, I don't care for too many luxury features. If anything, I just need Android Auto, cloth seats, and a stick shift.

GT86 was a consideration, but I do need to carry stuff/passengers occasionally, so a sedan at a minimum unfortunately.

Buddy has a new Civic. An impressive car I feel. A shame it's a bit ugly.

I think Honda appeals to me intrinsically.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    My man out here acting like a Mercury chauvinist.
    A Marauder may be interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I like the Fit: it has the proportions of a computer mouse or some other small rodent and I hear it's good fun to drive. Its price, space, and thrift with fuel only sweeten the deal.
    Since when is that a good thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Maybe $30k to $35? I'm aiming as low as possible- economy is bad, I'm starting a new job, I don't care for too many luxury features. If anything, I just need Android Auto, cloth seats, and a stick shift.

GT86 was a consideration, but I do need to carry stuff/passengers occasionally, so a sedan at a minimum unfortunately.
    320i?

Failing that, whatever the latest semi-lux Japanese saloon car is called. Lexiniti QIS45h, something or other.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Since when is that a good thing?
    Mice, electronic or otherwise, are pretty well-optimized creatures with good proportions (the dilettante in me wants to say golden proportions, though that is obviously nonsense) and charming features, except for their tails. Honda Fits do not have tails; this is good.

I think it suits the nature of the car well; not everything has to be lithe and graceful like a Jaguar or confused and inbred like a Jeep Cherokee. It suits the kawaiiness that the Japanese are so fond of and conveys the robustness and practicality

I understand the benefits you describe of mice-related shapes. Nevertheless I'm firmly in the leaping animals camp, or at least I was until their cars started looking like nondescript designs from massive faceless corporations.

On the other hand, I like 90's German designs which may be considered a bit featureless by some so perhaps I'm contradicting myself and my opinion is worthless.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You are first saying : Honda Fit of Civic
    And then you say 30 to 35K
    The question is: Are you okay with spending 30 or 35K ? Or more like 16 to 22K (Hond Fit money)

If you ask me personally, buying new before you've got a stable income is stupid (don't take this as an offense)

I would buy a nice second hand for 10K max, not too old, not too expensive too insure.
    And it won't depreciate that much anymore,

But don't look at my car, its getting too old and getting more expensive every year. But I'm a sucker for old Volvo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    You are first saying : Honda Fit of Civic
    And then you say 30 to 35K
    The question is: Are you okay with spending 30 or 35K ? Or more like 16 to 22K (Hond Fit money)

If you ask me personally, buying new before you've got a stable income is stupid (don't take this as an offense)

I would buy a nice second hand for 10K max, not too old, not too expensive too insure.
    And it won't depreciate that much anymore,

But don't look at my car, its getting too old and getting more expensive every year. But I'm a sucker for old Volvo's.
    No offense taken! I'm just looking at my options. I don't drive that much, and we still have 2 working (but very old) cars that are paid off. So like you said, no need to add more costs.

So we're sticking with the Forester and TL for now.

Make sure that you will purchase it from a reputable dealer. I've been reading a lot of scam complaints lately.

Pendelton Guest
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendelton View Post
    Life's too short to drive bad cars
    I agree, which car do you drive?

No offense taken! I'm just looking at my options. I don't drive that much, and we still have 2 working (but very old) cars that are paid off. So like you said, no need to add more costs.

So we're sticking with the Forester and TL for now.
    Great decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin68 View Post
    Great decision.
    Well, a bit of an update.

Went to the dealer on Memorial Day to see if they had any deals on a WRX. No deals, and the prices are astronomical.

For a base cloth interior WRX their price was $29k at $398 a month with $2500 down for 12,000 miles. I think that's a high price, so I moved on. The Forester still works, although I really want to replace the TL.

It's a seller's market though, I'm just surprised prices are so high on a WRX.

Yeah, craigslist and other such sites popular with bottom-feeders like me have gone nuts in the last year. Those who've kept their jobs seem to have more discretionary income without the distractions of the outside world to spend it on. The new car market is also being yanked back-and-forth by the rental-car companies; they dumped a bunch of stock at the beginning and are now scrambling to build up their fleets again, even being so desperate as to buy used. Add on to all of that that there's a microchip shortage because of industrial disruptions (COVID, again) both in terms of raw materials and manufacturing.

So, yeah, buyer's market indeed...

WRXes tend to hold their value pretty well even when the market isn't nuts. My roommate has the final year of the hatch (in the range-topping Limited trim) and despite having 80,000 miles and being on its third engine, it's still worth around $20,000. If you're wondering and worried about the whole third-engine thing; remember to change and check your oil regularly!

I hope you get a good deal, soon.

Thread Information