Thread: BMW M5 (F90) 2017-

BMW M5 (F90) 2017-

The new BMW M5 (08/2017).
    fuel consumption combined: 10,5 l/100 km*
    CO2 emissions combined: 241 g/km*

*=Fuel consumption figures based on the EU test cycle, may vary depending on the tyre format specified.

Further information on official fuel consumption figures, specific CO2 emission values and the electric power consumption of new passenger cars is included in the guideline "Guideline for fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and electric power consumption of new passenger cars", which can be obtained from all dealerships, from Deutsche Automobil Treuhand GmbH (DAT), Hellmuth-Hirth-Str. 1, 73760 Ostfildern-Scharnhausen and at www.dat.de .

Attached Images Attached Images

The character of M xDrive can be adjusted as desired. The driver has five different configurations to choose from based on combinations of the DSC modes (DSC on, MDM, DSC off) and M xDrive modes (4WD, 4WD Sport, 2WD). In the basic setting with DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) activated and 4WD, the system permits slight slip through the rear wheels when accelerating out of corners – and therefore plays its part in giving the new BMW M5 its sporting agility. In M Dynamic mode (MDM, 4WD Sport) M xDrive allows easily controlled drifts. The three M xDrive modes with DSC switched off have been conceived to sate the appetites of keen drivers and primarily for use on the track. Here, the driver can choose from three configurations up to and including pure rear-wheel drive (2WD). This mode allows the driver to pick their own drift angle and treats connoisseurs to driving dynamics in their purest form.

Providing ample power for the new BMW M5 is a 4.4-litre V8 bi-turbo engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology. The M engineers have carried out significant revisions to the outgoing model’s power unit. For example, newly developed turbochargers, ultra-efficient indirect charge air cooling and increased fuel injection pressure together help to raise output and, above all, torque. The engine develops 441 kW/600 hp at 5,600 – 6,700 rpm, while a monumental 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) of torque is placed at the driver’s disposal from as low down as 1,800 rpm and remains there until 5,600 rpm. A map-controlled, fully variable oil pump ensures oil is supplied as and when the new BMW M5 needs it, even on the track. The car’s impressive performance figures speak for themselves: 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 3.4 seconds, 0 to 200 km/h in 11.1 seconds (124 mph). Top speed, meanwhile, is an electronically limited 250 km/h (155 mph), but the optional M Driver’s Package can keep the fun coming to 305 km/h (189 mph).

The new BMW M5 channels all that power through a specially tuned eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic. In D mode it provides all the comfort and convenience of fully automatic gear changes, but can then also switch to sequential manual shifts. The driver can do this using either the compact selector lever on the centre console or the steering wheel-mounted paddles. Drivelogic allows the driver to adjust the transmission’s characteristics to their personal preferences. For track use, the eight-speed M Steptronic unit serves up lightning-fast shift times, helping to give the new BMW M5 its exceptional agility and dynamic flair.

The suspension of the new BMW M5 is likewise designed to deliver both maximum traction for everyday use and supreme dynamic performance on the track. Like the engine, transmission and M xDrive system, it has been tuned by experts and racing drivers at venues including the world’s most exacting test facility – the Nürburgring Nordschleife circuit. Sophisticated stiffening elements in the front and rear structures ensure the body structure is extremely rigid and therefore that the car provides instantaneous feedback, in particular when the driver is pushing hard on the road or track.

BMW M5 F90 #3

BMW M5 F90 #4

BMW M5 Competition 2018

The BMW M5 Competition model was introduced in August 2018, with power increased to 460 kW (617 hp) at 6,000 rpm and torque remaining unchanged at 750 N⋅m (553 lb⋅ft) between 1,800–5,800 rpm.[100] The official 0-100 km/h (62 mph) acceleration time was reduced by 0.1 seconds compared with the regular M5.
    Other changes include stiffer springs, increased front camber, a 7 mm (0.3 in) lower ride height, revised wheels and a redesigned exhaust system with a particulate filter added.
    In a test by sport auto the M5 Competition lapped the Nürburgring in 7:35.90.[102] Although advertised at 460 kW (617 hp) (measured at the crank) the M5 Competition in Car and Driver's dyno test showed 460 kW (617 hp) at the wheels, suggesting a higher output than advertised.

Facelift 2020

The F90 M5 underwent a facelift in June 2020 for the 2021 model year. Major highlights of the facelift included revised headlamps and taillamps with the headlamps featuring a minimalist L shaped design for the daytime running lights. The front bumper and rear bumpers were also redesigned, now featuring an overall sharp design. The base model didn't receive any mechanical changes while the M5 Competition now has revised shock absorbers and tuning for the adjustable suspension system. The variant also gets a new "Track" mode which when enabled shuts off all driver aids and the infotainment system for a more focused driving experience. Five new exterior colours were added to the colour options which include Motegi Red, Brands Hatch Grey, Tanzanite Blue II, Individual Aventurine Red and Frozen Bluestone.

On the interior, the M5 now has a 12.3-inch infotainment display replacing the previous 10.25-inch unit. New features for the infotainment system include wireless Android Auto functionality, natural speech recognition, and BMW's cloud-based navigation that provides faster route calculations and more up-to-date traffic information. Two new upholstery options were added to the interior those being black leather and beige Alcantara upholstery. The facelift M5 would be made available for sale in August 2020.

BMW M5 F90 #7

When is fast, too fast?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Don't you think that particular shark was jumped when they put a V10 in it?

Call me an internet car guy, but a 3L six and a 4L eight strike me as the the right size for the M3 and M5, respectively. Hell, you can even turbo them; just don't go too nuts with the boost.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 06-22-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

Call me an internet car guy, but a 3L six and a 4L eight strike me as the the right size for the M3 and M5, respectively. Hell, you can even turbo them; just don't go too nuts with the boost.
    They did turbo them in this case. I have nothing to say for this M5, other than the fact that it's so quiet they had to pipe in sound through the speakers. At that point, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    When is fast, too fast?
    You can say that for the regular Teslas too, they're blisteringly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

As a regular user of a car which has 370ft-lb of torque at 1500rpm and a person who thinks that his car already has all the performance in the world and then some, I wonder what are you going to do with an extra 200ft-lb of torque. Mess with the earth rotation speed? Tear a hole in the time-space continuum?

The V10 was bonkers, but al least had something resembling a rev range which you could enjoy. Or use, for that matter.
    Visca Catalunya!

Considering this thing weighs about the same as a '59 Cadillac, it probably needs all that torque to climb a 5% grade.

BMW seems to be creatively lost; big heavy car with a V8 motor is hardly an original formula and, as far as I can work out, there's not much else to differentiate it from its competition. Aesthetics are right out (as they've been for while) and I can't imaginethis thing is anything other than a numb blunderbuss when it comes to driving dynamics and feel; sure it has 735mm tires and can lap the Nurburgring in 43μs, but I can't imagine there's much joy in the process. It really does strike me as continuing proof that BMWs are no longer cars for the discerning enthusiast (and the aspiration snobs who bob in their wake). I'm not sure they've ceded their throne to Audi and Mercedes, either, so it's the Jag, the Giulia, or the Kia Stinger...

The thing about the torque is not only the sheer amount, but the fact that it comes in one big lump at almost idle and stays with you until almost redline. In these cars a corner can be approached in 3 or 4 different gears and the results will be broadly similar (i.e. you will wrap it round a tree). No wonder it has four wheel drive, with two wheel drive it would be nigh on undrivable.

With such characteristics one wonders if it wouldn't be just better to stop faking it and go full EV once and for all.

Anyway.

Having had experience with four out of the five cars/brands mentioned (the Stinger remains an anecdote both in its lineup and in the market), if you are really serious about driving the Alfa is the one you want. The Jag isn't bad either, but it is softer, less precise and less focused. BMWs continue to drive fine but have lost the polish they used to have.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    With such characteristics one wonders if it wouldn't be just better to stop faking it and go full EV once and for all.
    This is an interesting point. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, so I do not think this is a conscious effort, but the modern turbocharged engine does seem to be priming us for the electric future. This particular engine is perhaps a bit sportier, so it can rev out farther, but by and large modern turbo mills hit you with a big slug of torque off idle, hold it for a while, and then wheeze their way to redline.

Thread Information