Thread: Polestar 1 2017-2022

Polestar 1 2017-2022

2017-10-17
    Polestar unveils its first car – the Polestar 1 – and reveals its vision to be the new electric performance brand

Polestar, Volvo Car Group’s performance brand, has today revealed its future as a new standalone electric performance brand. Polestar has confirmed the company’s first three models, a new purpose-built production facility in China and a new, customer-focussed route to market with all-inclusive subscription-based services that will set a new industry benchmark for performance car buyers.

The company’s first car, Polestar 1, will start production in mid-2019. As an Electric Performance Hybrid, the car can travel up to 150km on pure electric power alone - the longest full electric range of any hybrid car on the market. In combination with its four-cylinder Volvo Drive-E engine, the Polestar 1 delivers 600hp and 1,000Nm of torque, placing the car firmly within the performance car segment.

Polestar will act as a technology spearhead for the Volvo Car Group, bringing new technology and performance attributes to market. At the same time, Polestar will benefit from technological and engineering synergies within Volvo Cars and significant economies of scale as a result. These synergies will allow Polestar to accelerate the design, development and building of its electrified performance cars.

Thomas Ingenlath, Chief Executive Officer of Polestar said; “Polestar 1 is the first car to carry the Polestar on the bonnet. A beautiful GT with amazing technology packed into it - a great start for our new Polestar brand. All future cars from Polestar will feature a fully electric drivetrain, delivering on our brand vision of being the new standalone electric performance brand".
    Attached Images Attached Images

About Polestar
    Polestar is Volvo Car Group’s performance road car brand. From 2017, Polestar will become a new separately-branded electric high-performance car company, offering a portfolio of bespoke Polestar cars. Polestar will enjoy specific technological and engineering synergies with Volvo Cars and benefit from significant economies of scale as a result of its connection to Volvo. These synergies will allow it to design, develop and build world beating electrified high performance cars.

Today, Polestar builds the S60 and V60 Polestar, 367hp performance road cars with over 250 developments over-and-above the standard Volvo products. It also offers Polestar Engineered performance hardware upgrades and engine software optimisations for existing Volvo products.

POLESTAR 1 TO MAKE DYNAMIC PUBLIC DEBUT AT GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED
    11/06/18

The Polestar 1 is set to make its first dynamic appearance at the 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed from 12-15 July. Festivalgoers will see prototype #004 of the two-door Electric Performance Hybrid charge up the famous hill climb, set in the grounds of Goodwood House in West Sussex, England.

Driven by Polestar chief test driver Joakim Rydholm, the drive is part of the continued global launch of the Polestar brand and the Polestar 1. It’s an opportunity for enthusiasts and the public to get a closer look at the design and performance of the car as it continues its real-world performance, chassis and suspension-testing programme.

“I am really excited to drive the Polestar 1 prototype up the hill at Goodwood,” enthuses Joakim Rydholm. “Driving the hill climb has been a long-time ambition for me, and to be able to do it in the same prototype in which we’ve spent so many months of development time, is truly special.”

Polestar will also be present in the manufacturer area. In contrast to the camouflaged prototype, two production-specification Polestar 1 cars will be on display, representing yet another opportunity to experience the car in detail ahead of the first customer deliveries in mid-2019.

Thomas Ingenlath, Chief Executive Officer of Polestar, comments: “I’m thrilled that we’re going to be at the Goodwood Festival of Speed – it’s everything a big car event should be: full of passion, enthusiasm and a chance to get really close to the cars. The response to the Polestar 1 from the UK and northern Europe has been fantastic and we see this event as a vital part of our continued ‘global handshake’ with enthusiasts and our customers around the world. It’s a wonderful opportunity to meet so many people who share our passion for Polestar and the future of the brand.”

Following the Goodwood Festival of Speed, the Polestar 1 will make its North American debut at Monterey Car Week in California from 23-26 August.

#4 The Polestar 1 has finally reached production phase.
    Last edited by Revo; 02-10-2020 at 11:43 AM.

#5 Only 1,500 examples will be hand-built in China over the next three years.

#6 Prices start from 155,000€. Claimed kerb weight is 2350 kg.

It is a good looking thing, even if the wheels looks cartoonishly big.

I wonder if they could do a 50k C90 version with a conventional powertrain (and smaller wheels)...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The wheels, in combination with the jutting chin, disrupt the otherwise clean lines. I do not understand why designers persist in making their wheels so big; I would have figured that that fad would have passed just like fins, weird '90s patterned fabric, etc...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

More is more is more.

Best looking car on sale? Best looking car on sale.

Only 25 matte-gold Polestar 1 were made to commemorate the final run of production.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    The wheels, in combination with the jutting chin, disrupt the otherwise clean lines. I do not understand why designers persist in making their wheels so big; I would have figured that that fad would have passed just like fins, weird '90s patterned fabric, etc...
    Because with higher hoods for pedestrian crash standards, cars have gotten larger in proportion to the wheels. You can make cars only so big for so long, at some point you run out of road. I've heard multiple car reviewers call the 911 992 generation too big for the roads. At some point you have to wonder, what's the point?

Thread Information