Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opel Manta (A) 1970-1975

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Somewhat a relation to the earlier Monaros?
    With its dimensions and running gear, probably closer to the Torana than the Monaro. Although the first Monaros (HK) used the Opel 4 speed in the 6 cylinder models (it was a POS 'box, BTW )

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBoy View Post
    Although the first Monaros (HK) used the Opel 4 speed in the 6 cylinder models (it was a POS 'box, BTW )
    Optional on HR Holdens too and you're right, they shifted well but were a notoriously weak box.

For example my Holden LC Torana XU-1 got the special 'heavy duty' version of the Opel with (IIRC) the cast iron base plate. Well on my first attempt I once tried to lay just a mild chirpie on the upchange into 2nd, which split the gearbox case!

In Oz the 1900cc Opel motor fitted to 4cyl Toranas had a similarly dismal reputation. But the Manta was well styled (especially the early ones) and rather attractive imo

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Optional on HR Holdens too and you're right, they shifted well but were a notoriously weak box.

For example my Holden LC Torana XU-1 got the special 'heavy duty' version of the Opel with (IIRC) the cast iron base plate. Well on my first attempt I once tried to lay just a mild chirpie on the upchange into 2nd, which split the gearbox case!

In Oz the 1900cc Opel motor fitted to 4cyl Toranas had a similarly dismal reputation. But the Manta was well styled (especially the early ones) and rather attractive imo
    Forgot about the HR! Yes some of the final 186S versions (not X2s) trialled the Opel 'box (and LSD) - virtually a Monaro underneath!

The really weak part of the 'box were also the syncros - notoriously fragile. A bit of a bitch as the shift action was heavy & clunky, probably stressing the syncros more than necessary. Our family HK Monaro had 3 sets and my MOTHER used to drive it mostly!

We had a nice HQ GTS (crap metallic paint, though - 3 resprays), before they went and got the Sunbird hatch. That Opel motor was a boat anchor! (apologies to all the boat anchors). Nice car, shocking donk.

Ah, the "Good Old Days", eh?
    Or maybe just the "Old Days"?

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    There was this or this to solve the performance problem.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Whilst still in one piece my Opel box used to shift really well, I thought, with a smooth action (and ratios) far superior to the subsequent 'black iron' Holden M21 box

It's interesting to see how the various iterations of GM's small sporty cars evolved differently in their respective countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    There was this or this to solve the performance problem.
    LMAO: "Sadly reliability suffered"!!

But boy, that 2.8l 6 sounds like a nice thing. Looks good too.
    OTOH, the concept also sounds strangely like a 149cid Torana (2850cc) - the LJ?

Opel Manta A #5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 11-05-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Visca Catalunya!

Manta – the family friendly coupé

The Manta was presented to the media in September 1970 at the Hotel Maritim in Timmendorfer Strand, near Lübeck at the Baltic Sea in Germany. The sleek coupé carried a manta ray emblem that was based on photos taken by the French marine biologist Jacques-Yves Cousteau. Modeled on the pony cars that were popular in the US at the time, the sporty Manta was positioned as a vehicle that met a new demand – somewhere between a conventional coupé and a traditional sedan. Like the pony cars, the Manta was stylish yet suitable for everyday family use.

By the end of the 1960s more and more young and young-at-heart car buyers were opting for attractive coupés. Individualism was in; and the self-contained line of the Manta fit the bill. In the first half year of sales in 1971, Opel sold 55,399 Manta models.

Versatile – A car for everybody

The Manta shared the floor assembly and a chassis modified for a dynamic drive with the Ascona. As in the Ascona, the 1.6-liter engines with 68 and 80 hp were a new feature. The 1.9-liter S engine offered for the sporty Manta SR model came from the Opel Rekord, had 90 hp and was initially reserved for the Manta. The entry-level model in the Manta range was the 1.2-liter version with 60 hp launched in 1972. The Manta GT/E premiered in 1973 with a 1.9-liter injection engine and Bosch L-Jetronic. It had an output of 105 hp. The Manta A was the first Opel with electronic injection. Thus equipped, the GT/E had 15 hp more than the 1.9-liter S engine. Matching the style of the times, the Manta GT/E largely dispensed with chrome décor in favor of black matt.

In April 1975, shortly before the debut of the Manta B, the last special model was launched: The Manta Black Magic was completely black with red-orange decorative stripes on the flanks. Opel built 498,553 units of the Manta A.
    Visca Catalunya!

The last cheap german rwd sportscar I'm afraid that time will never come back.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Opel Manta A #7

Opel Manta A #8

Opel Manta A #9

Opel Manta A #10

Opel Manta A #11

Opel Manta A #12