Thread: 2019 BMW M140i

2019 BMW M140i

Inspired by Revo's recent thread, have another BMW with a six and an automatic.

You can see me in the second picture quite pleased with it.

PS. Also, the new attachment system startled and old fart like me...

PS2. I don't know why the first picture appear sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Looking very good (obviously the beamer, not you).

So how bad is the fuel consumtion? And the rear seat space?

Last edited by Revo; 11-25-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Sharp, dig the wheels.

When's the review?

Another sharp ride!

Is that you in the photo?

Ah! So this is what an M-Sport driver looks like!
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Wow! A new "M"-car. Congrats Ferrer. So, how does it drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Sharp, dig the wheels.

When's the review?
    Coming up, when I have time to write it...
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Another sharp ride!

Is that you in the photo?
    Yes, that bloke in the background is me...
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Ah! So this is what an M-Sport driver looks like!
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Wow! A new "M"-car. Congrats Ferrer. So, how does it drive?
    Brilliantly, if more of a GT rather than a hot hatch / sportscar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Looking very good (obviously the beamer, not you).

So how bad is the fuel consumtion? And the rear seat space?

Car reckons I'm doing 8,9/100km (26.4mpg US / 31.7mpg UK) which, considering the powerhouse under the bonnet, isn't bad at all. Rear seat? No idea, I haven't gone there and barely use it. Boot's good though!

Also, some pics of the interior and dashboard...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Coming up, when I have time to write it...

Yes, that bloke in the background is me...
    Haha, you don't particularly look pleased..

My car, an review.

I have been driving this car for a little over 6 months and so far I've put on it about 9500km. I wanted a manual but unfortunately BMW had discontinued the option so I had to with the 8 speed auto; at least I was able to snatch a 3 door. I got one hell of a deal (about 12 grand off list price for a brand new car) probably because the car was at the end of its commercial life.

We could discuss many things about it, and we will, but the car's party piece and one of the main reasons why I bought it in the first place (the other being its rear wheel driveness) is the engine. The 3 litre straight six is a gem. Smooth and powerful you can barely notice it is turbocharged. There is hardly any turbo lag and it pulls strongly from 1000rpm (max torque is 500Nm / 370ftlb @ 1500rpm). It is comparatively more impressive when you are already doing some speed, the way it goes from say 120km/h (75mph) to 200km/h (125mph) is amazing. And I said before it is even moderately efficient.

The engine is very well complemented by the ZF 8 speed automatic gearbox. The only downside is that you cannot row you onw gears (yes, you can use the paddles but it's not the same and let's be honest you barely do in real world driving), but it is smooth and quick and it does its job very well. It is a stark contrast to the stupid thing in the Alfa. And having 8 gears means that top gear is about 62,5km/h (39mph) @ 1000rpm so at 170km/h (105mph) it sits at about 2700rpm being relaxed and quiet.

Ride and handling? Well it's got that beautiful feeling that all rear wheel drive cars have pivoting around your hips and closing the line if you step on the throttle in the middle of a corner. However I am not sure it is something you want to take on a narrow and twisty mountain pass. The car breaks traction easily up to fourth and things happen very very quickly so you have to concetrate hard to keep the thing in the black stuff. Sport+ disables partially the traction control, but it's still a lights fest in the dashboard at anything below 70km/h (45mph) and I don't think I have the talent (or the guts) to disable everything on a open road. To be honest in those circumstances I'd probably enjoy more a 125i and it would fit my abilities better than the M140i. It is also the first time that I have thought that maybe the car could benefit from four wheel drive...

It is better to stay on roads with mid and high speed corners where the combination between rear wheel drive and the strong six in very pleasurable. Use high gears, benefit from the mid-range pull and cover long distances quickly while enjoying it. The car also does very well motorway miles, although there the suspension could be a little bit more compliant (it is not terrible but a tad stiff for my liking) and there could be a little less tyre roar. I guess that is the price to pay for all the performance. City driving is uneventful, although sometimes it is difficult to stop smoothly at light when the start stop is on (the brakes themselves are fine, altough the pedal could be a little firmer to give more feel).

The interior is a classic BMW affair, dark and functional, without many frills. It also helps in that regard that the car has no extras other than the parking sensors. It also feeld somewhat old-fashioned if you compare it to, say, the latest Merc A-Class but everything is where it is supposed to be and works. The iDrive is, perhaps, the less polished bit but you can get used to it. The front seats are comfortable and you can sit low, which I like, but then the wheel obscures the lowest part of the dashboard. The boots decent sized and practical and the back seats... well nobody cares about those.

The styling is... ok I guess. The only thing I'd have preferred is the possibility of non-M styling but even so it is a pretty discreet car.

My conclusion is that it is a great car, more a GT than a sportscar and quite possibly the last affordable high performance BMW with a straight six engine. I'd highly recommend it.
    Visca Catalunya!

How do you contrast it with the 125i, if you've had seat time in that?

It sounds pretty nice.

I only had a short test drive in an 118d with M-Sport Pack. That car was way over-tyred and over-chassised to have any fun with it.

The basics were there, but it was as if you drove on rails.

A standard 125i with 205/55 R17 tyres would have probably been the best compromise for a twisty country lane.
    Visca Catalunya!

It looks great!

Looks good.

Thread Information