Thread: Automotive Podcasts

Automotive Podcasts

Does anyone listen to any car podcasts? I've listened occasionally to the Smoking Tire, depending on the topic, but beyond that I'm looking for some recommendations.

I listen to Autoblog, and Wheal Bearings. Both have declined in quality recently.

I like Dan Roth's takes; he's like a Gen X curmudgeon. He moved to Wheel Bearings with Sam Abulsamid.

In other blog news, y'all see Patrick George of Jalopnik stepped down?

Chris Harris has podcast called Collecting Cars, it's been mostly good.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games"
    -Ernest Hemingway

I love listening to the Under The Hood show.

Quote Originally Posted by ErWin76 View Post
    Chris Harris has podcast called Collecting Cars, it's been mostly good.
    I listened to this one for a bit, but eventually I got bored of it; it definitely wasn't bad, just not enough to hold my attention in our busy world.

I do occasionally check in on Revzilla's Highside/Lowside (motorcycle stuff) when they have a guest that I find interesting. It's fairly-easy to keep up with and they do a good job of flattening (keeping consistent) the audio volume, so it is often my companion on longer bike rides. I'm sure others have experienced the frustration of trying to do a somewhat-noisy activity while listening to someone who, either from changing their position relative to their microphone or just their patterns of speech, varies their volume a lot. You either have the volume too high or too low at any given time which drives me nuts. HS/LS doesn't do this and keeps things simple; I don't need to ponder the nature of being or complex politico-financial edifices while I'm exercising... So, thumbs up from me.

I also like Smith and Sniff, which is at least tangentially-related to cars, enough to patronize them. Richard Porter, he of the Top Gear and Grand Tour's writers' room, and Jonny Smith, he of Fifth Gear and erstwhile dangerously-spiky hair, ramble on about various topics with a generous scooping of what our own Ferrer would call "autoshite". The humor and pacing are a bit divisive ("boring" being the most-common criticism leveled at it) among people I know who've listened. So, caveat emptor: you get what you pay for....

Most of my other subscriptions are history-related, but now, with the dearth of traveling for work (and pleasure) in the last year-and-a-half, I don't have as many opportunities to listen to them.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

The Smoking Tire - Past Gas by Donut Media - The Collecting Cars Podcast with Chris Harris - CarCast - The Best of Car Talk.

Thread Information