Thread: Mazda 3 (4th gen - BP) 2019-

Mazda 3 (4th gen - BP) 2019-

#1 This is the 4th generation Mazda 3
    Attached Images Attached Images

#2 The rear suspension is downgraded from multi-link to torsion beam axle.

#3 New engine option is 2.0 Skyactiv-X petrol engine with 132 kW and 224 Nm.

#4 Most of the time it runs using compression like a diesel engine, but it can seamlessly switch to normal spark ignition if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    #4 Most of the time it runs using compression like a diesel engine, but it can seamlessly switch to normal spark ignition if needed.
    This is the Skyactiv technology Mazda's been harping about right? What's the benefit of being able to run compression ignition vs. spark ignition?

Better emissions vs. power?

In Mazda speak, the new technology is called Skyactive-X. Normal petrol engines are called Skyactiv-G and diesel versions are known as Skyactiv-D.

Here is the explanation from Mazda.

To explain how SKYACTIV-X works, we’ll first need to cover some engine basics. In a gasoline engine the fuel-air mixture is ignited by a spark from the spark plug. In a diesel engine, the fuel-air mix is compressed and ignites through pressure and heat alone. Diesel is more energy dense than gasoline, which also means more air and less fuel goes in, making for better fuel economy. And although diesel engines tend to release less carbon dioxide than gasoline engines, they traditionally emit higher levels of particulates that can cause pollution. Diesels, which are often turbocharged, have a reputation for having lots of torque even at low revs, while gasoline engines can rev higher and produce more horsepower at those high revs.

SKYACTIV-X offers the best of both diesel and gasoline engines with none of the disadvantages. It does this thanks to a new technology called Spark Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI). Running on regular gasoline, SPCCI works by compressing the fuel-air mix at a much higher compression ratio, with a very lean mix. The SKYACTIV-X engine uses a spark to ignite only a small, dense amount of the fuel-air mix in the cylinder. This raises the temperature and pressure so that the remaining fuel-air mix ignites under pressure (like a diesel), burning faster and more completely than in conventional engines.

The result? 10 to 30 percent more torque than the current SKYACTIV-G gasoline engine with better fuel efficiency than the current SKYACTIV-D, and a power increase of ten percent.

I like Mazda. I really do. I'd love to have another MX-5 one day.

But apparently the Skyactiv-X is the be all end all ICE that was supposed to be, and despite the supercharger it still keeps the lacklustre mid range of the normally aspirated versions.

A shame, I had high hopes in it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

In Mazda speak, the new technology is called Skyactive-X. Normal petrol engines are called Skyactiv-G and diesel versions are known as Skyactiv-D.

Here is the explanation from Mazda.
    Thanks for the explainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I like Mazda. I really do. I'd love to have another MX-5 one day.

But apparently the Skyactiv-X is the be all end all ICE that was supposed to be, and despite the supercharger it still keeps the lacklustre mid range of the normally aspirated versions.

A shame, I had high hopes in it.
    Mazda is definitely is the scrappiest of the Japanese manufacturers, but definitely a distant 4th or even 5th. Although I count it to be a stronger auto maker than Mitsubishi, Mitsubishi has many other products they can make to keep it afloat (air conditioners, heavy industry, ships, trucks). Mazda purely is an automobile maker.

Nissan's boring.

Toyota and Honda are hanging on at least, but Mazda makes stuff that you can actually afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes, but Skyactiv-X is all about emissions, not power.

Probably for the first time in automotive history, a supercharger is used for leaning fuel-air mixture.

This sounds just so unsexy that Mazda likes to refer it as an air supply system rather than a supercharger.

Yes, but Skyactiv-X is all about emissions, not power.

Probably for the first time in automotive history, a supercharger is used for leaning fuel-air mixture.

This sounds just so unsexy that Mazda likes to refer it as an air supply system rather than a supercharger.
    I haven't seen any proper reviews of it yet... but ok it does wonders for emissions. What about fuel economy?

I don't know, may be Mazda has bitten more than it can chew?

I hope I'm proven wrong.

(And that if I am they fit this engine into the MX-5)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

There are few road tests out there.

Auto, Motor und Sport, issue 21/2019. Test average 6,6 l/100km.

Autocar, 6 November 2019. Test average 7,1 l/100km. However, it was noted that touring economy was very impressive 5,0 l/100km against class average 6,3 l/100km.

Thread Information