Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COVID 19

COVID 19

Just checking in on everyone, seeing how everyone is doing. Hope everyone stays safe, healthy and has plenty of food and water.

Well, speaking for myself, apart from the counter measures implemented, so far we can't complain.

Our family and kids are healthy and there is sufficient food and water. Me and my wife are still able to work, although it is the question for how long this will continue.

Our kids (11 and 13 years old) are happy and enjoying their sudden "Holiday" as the schools are closed - although we don't allow them to get too close to other kids anymore for the moment.

On the other hand, the media is warning us with disturbing news from countries like Italy and also the number of deaths in our country keeps rising. Very surrealistic.

I am afraid this is only the beginning here, but we remain positive as we can only limit the risks as much as possible (using common sense).

What will happen next, we can only guess by looking at the rest of Europe, where the situation got worse and worse. And in the Netherlands, the government is quite slow in my opinion, in taking counter measures.

Although I can also understand they have an incredible tough job, especially in this situation. A complete lockdown of the country does not seen to do any good, according to the 'experts', it would also cripple the economy beyond repair.
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 03-17-2020 at 03:03 PM.

I'm glad things are relatively calm where you are. Our government was also very slow in taking measures.

I am a healthcare worker in New York and it's quite scary as masks and protective equipment supplies are low.

Locking down the country appears drastic, but at this point may be necessary. If anyone justifies keeping borders open to prop up the airline industry and economy, you won't have to worry about that. There won't be people alive to spend money for an economy if you don't close borders now.

I hope all UCP's friends and family are doing well in these challenging times. We can make it through this; but it is time for drastic action.

South Korea may be a model; their government and public health agencies acted aggressively, and decisively. We should learn from their example.

Be well everyone.

Just checking in on everyone.

I hope your government's response isn't woefully inadequate like my country...

We are pretty much two/three-weeks post lockdown here. We were one of the European countries with the strictest lockdown and while it seems that we have gone over the first wave some zones are seeing a spike in cases. The latest measure is mandatory masks everywhere even if you can keep the "social distance".

Mostly, though what I have discovered is that, if you have to be infected you will get infected. When you go out at first you are very aware of the situation and are extra-careful; but as time goes by you start to relax things a bit... and then it is very easy to getinfected if you are near person who has it.

In any case, luckily on a personal level I'm doing fine, mandatory WFH has ended (thank god) and all of my relatives, family and friends are doing fine too.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In any case, luckily on a personal level I'm doing fine, mandatory WFH has ended (thank god) and all of my relatives, family and friends are doing fine too.
    We are still doing WFH. I love it. Friends and family are well so far, knock on wood. It's been very hot so I sit on the patio with a cool drink at 5:05 PM. Trynna feel grateful and positive; hope you all are well too.

Glad you guys are are doing ok. There's a few upsides to the pandemic, my parents are both fully retired as they should be now. They're home, but fairly healthy. Everyone else is ok for the most part too.

Where I am people definitely are getting fatigued from mask wearing though.

Ironic, there was a surge in cases in a province here, the regional government enacted a strict lock down order in the area and a judge overthrew it...

¯∖_(ツ)_/¯
    Visca Catalunya!

The Federales are bugging Catalan politicians it seems too.

Nothing to see here, folks!

Ironic, there was a surge in cases in a province here, the regional government enacted a strict lock down order in the area and a judge overthrew it...

¯∖_(ツ)_/¯
    Right now it's a hodgepodge response in the US, each state is doing their own thing. In some places it's adequate, but I feel like most states it's inadequate.

Arizona, California, Texas, Florida and Oklahoma are doing very poorly. Strange thing about California is that they locked down earliest.

I check this site daily even though it gives me anxiety.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data

As it turns put we are on the verge of another lock down. Right now it is only recommended to no go out unless it is essential, but how long until it is mandatory to stay in...
    Visca Catalunya!

As it turns put we are on the verge of another lock down. Right now it is only recommended to no go out unless it is essential, but how long until it is mandatory to stay in...
    The way I see it, you can lock down hard and fast and reopen earlier. I'd rather have it done that way than to open and close multiple times. Seems less disruptive for businesses overall, but hey, who am I to say, I only went to school for almost a quarter century just to get a medical doctorate. Clearly I'm not qualified to comment on public health. Even if I were, most people wouldn't listen to my advice anyway.

That is one of the sad situations of this crisis, the politicians think they know better than the experts...
    Visca Catalunya!

It really seems like, whatever Japan, the Republic of China, and South Korea did, we should have reached out, interfaced with them, and studied, and just copied everything they did.

Thread Information