Thread: Pontiac Grand Am (5th gen) 1998-2005

The Pontiac Grand Am is a mid-size car and later a compact car that was produced by Pontiac. The history of Grand Am starts with Pontiac executives noting incursion into the US market by Mercedes and BMW. Notably, the American sports car was usually without luxury features and the luxury car without sport features. Foreign makes mixed these features. Pontiac hybridized the Trans Am with the Grand Prix to create the Grand Am. Built on the A-body platform, the intended GTO body was re-badged and fitted with the Grand Prix interior. As the 1973 was produced, OPEC levied an oil embargo to the USA. This resulted in a dichotomy of buyers: total luxury or total economy. Since Grand Am was a “in-betweener “, its sales died and it was discontinued in 1975. The Grand Am had two separate three-year runs in the 1970s: from 1973 to 1975, and again from 1978 to 1980. It was based on the GM A platform. Production of the Grand Am was canceled in 1980 when it was replaced by the Pontiac 6000. The Grand Am was reintroduced in 1985 when it replaced the Pontiac Phoenix. It became Pontiac's best selling car and was later replaced by the Pontiac G6, so named as it was intended to be the 6th generation of the Grand Am.

All 1973–1975 Grand Ams were built in Pontiac, Michigan at Pontiac's main assembly plant. The 1978-1980 Grand Ams were built in Pontiac, Michigan at Pontiac's main assembly plant and in Atlanta, Georgia at GMAD Lakewood. All Grand Ams between 1985 and 2005 were built in Lansing, Michigan at the Lansing Car Assembly.

Fifth generation (1998-2005)
    Available in late spring 1998, the basic design of the fifth-generation Grand Am was shared with the Oldsmobile Alero (also new for 1999) and Chevrolet Malibu (introduced in 1996). The length was shortened slightly, but the wheelbase grew by more than three inches (76 mm). The suspension was now fully independent, with a revised MacPherson-Strut design up front. The rear suspension is a more refined Multi-link design. The new Grand Am was offered in five trim levels: SE, SE1, SE2, GT, and GT1. The 2.4 L Twin Cam engine was carried over, with 150 hp (112 kW; 152 PS) and 155 lb⋅ft (210 N⋅m) of torque. GM's 3400 V6, previously exclusive to their minivans, became available as an option on the SE and SE1, and was standard on all other trim levels. For 1999, all the Grand Ams featured a four-speed automatic transmission. The GT and GT1 also included 4-wheel disc brakes, and all Grand Ams until 2003 included standard ABS and Traction Control (made optional on SE from 2003). The GTs also had a Ram Air induction system, providing an extra five horsepower and 5 lb/ft of torque over the 3.4 L V6 when installed in any of the SE-level trims. The 2000 models added a Getrag five-speed manual transmission as standard equipment with the four-cylinder. On GT models, the badge on the front fenders now read "RamAir V6", instead of "V6H.O." on 1999 GT's. ASC Creative Services designed the Grand Am SC/T for the SEMA show circuit, which was the concept design for the Ram Air hood and body package. The SC/T later became an appearance package, beginning in 2003. A road test by Car and Driver showed a 0-60 mph time of 7.7 seconds in a GT sedan with an automatic.

For 2001, the SE2 trim level was dropped, a new family of Delco stereos and new wheel designs was introduced. The radio size in 2001 also changed from a 1.5 DIN size to a full 2 DIN size. Half way through 2002, the Twin Cam 2.4 L engine was replaced by a new 2.2 L Ecotec four-cylinder, which had improvements over the engine it replaced, but produced less output; 140 hp (104 kW; 142 PS) and 150 lb⋅ft (203 N⋅m) of torque. Changes for 2002 also included a stationary cup holder in the center console as opposed to a removable one.

The body cladding on SE models was removed in 2003, a change which affected other models throughout Pontiac. Anti-Lock Brakes and Traction Control were made optional on the SE in 2003 as well. An MP3 player was added to the uplevel CD player in 2004. In 2005, Pontiac began phasing out the Grand Am lineup for the new G6 replacement. SE sedans were retained for fleet sale and GT coupes were the last Grand Am model available for public sale.

The final Grand Am rolled off the line at Lansing Michigan's, Lansing Car Assembly plant on May 10, 2005, shortly before the Lake Orion, Michigan plant began assembling G6 coupes. This was also the last car to be made at Lansing's old Fisher Body plant.

Source: Wikipedia

GM Media only has '00-'05, unfortunately.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 03-24-2020 at 11:22 PM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

As a kid I really liked the styling of these.

Unfortunately, these pictures aren't in anything close to chronological order.

Pontiac Grand Am #4

Pontiac Grand Am #5

I really really like the last picture in post #4. Is that a Pontiac Grand Am GXP with Ram Air?
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 03-24-2020 at 11:22 PM.

I think so, though the trim for the Gran Am was the GTP. I think GXP was only offered on the Grand Prix.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I think so, though the trim for the Gran Am was the GTP. I think GXP was only offered on the Grand Prix.
    That sounds right to me! The GXP trim Grand Am must've been a concept? The Sunfire also had a GXP trim concept version too I believe.

Thread Information