Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gordon Murray Auto T.50 revealed and other news ...

New Gordon Murray Auto T.50 revealed and other news ...

The highly anticipated Gordon Murray Automotive T.50 finally broke cover this evening. Designed by Gordon Murray, the T.50 is the spiritual successor to the legendary McLaren F1. Quite possibly the last of the analog supercars, it is powered by a high-revving, naturally aspirated V12, which is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. The engine has been developed specifically for the T.50 by Cosworth and produces 663hp from just 3.9 litres of displacement and revs to a staggering 12,100 rpm. The sophisticated aerodynamics package includes a fan to extract the air from the underbody much like the Murray designed Brabham BT46B Grand Prix car did. The three abreast seating position of the T.50 is a clear nod to the McLaren F1. Production will be limited to just 100 examples and the price excluding taxes is a hefty £2.36m.
    Also powered by a naturally aspirated V12 is this Lamborghini Essenza SCV12 track-day online machine. The spectacular machine is equipped with the Italian manufacturer's familiar V12 engine that is good for in excess of 830 hp. Only 40 SCV12s will be built and they will be run at specific Lamborghini Squadra Corse events.
    Certainly not analog is the new Maserati Ghibli Hybrid. The company's first hybrid model, it is equipped with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that receives some assistance to help boost the power to 330hp. Despite the additional weight of the hybrid system, the Ghibli Hybrid is 80kg lighter than the equivalent diesel engined car.
    Ford have pushed the Mustang Mach-E concept to the limit by fitting seven motors to the car and create the Mach-E 1400. The 1400 is a reference to the power available from the all-electric drivetrain. The 1400 is designed to use on the circuit for track-day or drift events.

Enjoy the links:

2020 Ford Mustang Mach-E 1400

2022 Gordon Murray Automotive T.50

2020 Lamborghini Essenza SCV12

2020 Maserati Ghibli Hybrid
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I'm surprised Gordon Murray didn't make the T.50 under McLaren. Seems like his relationship with the company ended after he made the F1. I am aware that Murray made cars under his own name, the Rocket car an the T.25.

I'm also curious why he didn't use a gated shifter. He might as well had gone all in at that point. Interesting design choices all around. At least it's a clean design and not like what McLaren is putting out now.

It's something cool and different and made with clear mind. A breath of fresh air.

Hopefully it isn't constantly broken. Doubt that folks will drive it much, much as Gordon wants them to.

His relationship with McLaren ended after not-so-happy SLR-McLaren project some twenty years ago.

There was an great article in today's Autocar about the T50. The most interesting point for me was that, unlike the F1, the T50 project is not hurried at all. Absolutely everything is done excactly the way Murray wants, down to the smallest detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    His relationship with McLaren ended after not-so-happy SLR-McLaren project some twenty years ago.

There was an great article in today's Autocar about the T50. The most interesting point for me was that, unlike the F1, the T50 project is not hurried at all. Absolutely everything is done excactly the way Murray wants, down to the smallest detail.
    I'm curious how far his involvement went with the SLR McLaren as it appears to be a pig of a car and kind of the opposite of a McLaren F1. The SLR McLaren was much more a luxury GT cruiser with cushy suspension and slow SMG gearbox than a track car.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I'm curious how far his involvement went with the SLR McLaren as it appears to be a pig of a car and kind of the opposite of a McLaren F1. The SLR McLaren was much more a luxury GT cruiser with cushy suspension and slow SMG gearbox than a track car.
    In this podcast Gordon Murray talks about SLR project, briefly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvFusDf30ds
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games"
    -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by ErWin76 View Post
    In this podcast Gordon Murray talks about SLR project, briefly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvFusDf30ds
    That's a great podcast!

Thanks!

That's a great podcast!

Thanks!
    You're welcome, there is other good episodes too.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games"
    -Ernest Hemingway

The SLR had a 5 speed Daimler auto. Just like an S-Class. It couldn't be more far removed from the F1 even if it tried.

I like the T50, although not a fan of the rear styling...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I feel old; the T50 feels like a slight rehash of the F1 and yet I love it. My tastes shouldn't be so retrograde before my thirtieth year. Perhaps the styling is unduly affecting my verdict. Despite that, I am more excited about it than I have been for a car in a long time; I haven't been this excited about a supercar in an even-longer time!

Maybe it's Murray's arresting way of discussing the car and his philosophies and my accord therein that draws me to it or maybe it's just the fast thing from when I was a kid and it makes the nicest vroom-vroom noises...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    These jokes are blowing me away!

...Ayooooo!

]I feel old[/QUOTE]

You are.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Maybe it's Murray's arresting way of discussing the car and his philosophies and my accord therein that draws me to it or maybe it's just the fast thing from when I was a kid and it makes the nicest vroom-vroom noises...
    Why not both?

This is inherently cool. I'm not sold on the looks. I think the overall shape is ok. The headlights are so drab and old school looking, and you all may recall my philosophy about headlights.

They're important.

The F1 was never a looker for me either. And this is more elegant and nicer that that. It's not ostentatious. But all that shit is secondary to this car, of all cars.

How's it drive?

Also echo NSX, would loved to see the gated shifter. Alas. Anyways should be fun to see the reviews of this car unlike most others these days.

The SLR had a 5 speed Daimler auto. Just like an S-Class. It couldn't be more far removed from the F1 even if it tried.

There we go, even worse than an early 2000s SMG.

I really want Ferrari to go all out and do a retrofit for their early paddle shift cars like the Enzo or Maserati MC12 to update those gearboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    These jokes are blowing me away!

...Ayooooo!

]I feel old
    You are.

Why not both?

This is inherently cool. I'm not sold on the looks. I think the overall shape is ok. The headlights are so drab and old school looking, and you all may recall my philosophy about headlights.

They're important.

The F1 was never a looker for me either. And this is more elegant and nicer that that. It's not ostentatious. But all that shit is secondary to this car, of all cars.

How's it drive?

Also echo NSX, would loved to see the gated shifter. Alas. Anyways should be fun to see the reviews of this car unlike most others these days.[/QUOTE]

You are so punny...

Ditto on the comment on the headlights, they remind me of a 3rd gen MR2, a car 20 years its junior and maybe worth 1% of its selling price.

I wonder what you guys think of the De Tomaso P72 and the Brabham BT62 supercars. I think they're both comparable to the T.50 and I think the De Tomaso is a manual too!

If anyone is interested, there's a deeper dive in the T.50 here with Harry Metcalfe and Gordon Murray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT8PMXCMrsM
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 08-09-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Automated manuals are the worst gearboxes ever created by humans, even worse than CVTs. So no, a 5 speed torque converter gearbox is better than anything-SMG.

I also agree that what matters about this car is how it drives, and all signs seem to point to rather brilliantly. At least all the ingredients are there.

Styling is secondary; this is not an Italian car: this is meant to go places.
    Visca Catalunya!

Automated manuals are the worst gearboxes ever created by humans, even worse than CVTs. So no, a 5 speed torque converter gearbox is better than anything-SMG.[/I]
    Despite being some sort of lunatic Latin, this guy gets it! There is, however, a part of me that would love to drive a manualized CVT where the ratios are selected by a knob. It would be fun for, well, ...minutes!

I also agree that what matters about this car is how it drives, and all signs seem to point to rather brilliantly. At least all the ingredients are there.

...this is meant to go places.
    I am worried slightly about the 911 R effect: collectors latch on it as the last of a dying, and appreciating, breed and stuff it into a climate-controlled closet somewhere to sell for 9 trillion space shekels in 2053. The fact that it is so pure and so targeted almost makes it more attractive to these poseurs (this is definitely not the word that I want, but it gets the point across) as a booster to their bonafides as a "car collector with taste".

I really, really hope I am wrong and I'll be able to hear that V12 wail past me on the road someday.

Styling is secondary; this is not an Italian car
    The styling's not too bad; certainly better than anything coming from his old cronies at McLaren or Mercedes. The name, however, is not great. Yes, it's better than ****ing MP4-12C, but it does leave me wanting. To be honest, and uncharacteristically positive, that's about the only bone that I have to pick with this machine.

... and the price, but you all knew that.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I can imagine a manual CVT with three levers, one to put it in drive and the other two to operate the diameter-change of the pulleys to adjust the gear ratio as you drive along. I don't know why Lancia hasn't put it into production already...

As for the car itself, I think you are onto something. This will most probably suffer the limited edition Porsche effect. Sadly.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information