Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Z-Series 1970-1972

Honda Z-Series 1970-1972

The two-door Honda Z was a kei car/city car designed and built by Honda sold from 1970 to 1972. US sales (only with the larger 600 cc engine) ended in 1972, well before the 1973 introduction of the Civic. Marketed as the "sport coupé" version of the N600 "sedan", the two models were sold side by side at American motorcycle dealerships until the first stand-alone dealers opened with the Civic on their lots. Total production was 40,586 units[citation needed]. The car was first introduced in October 1970.

In certain countries such as the USA the Z600 name simply reflected the engine's size of 598 cc (36 cu in). The smaller-engined Honda Z360 was available in Japan (and other markets, such as Australia) with a 354 cc (22 cu in) twin. In the UK they only came in 600cc form and were called simply 'Honda Z' with no mention of the engine size in the name.

As with all cars in the Kei class, the Z360's specifications were tightly governed. The Z360 originally featured an air-cooled, 354 cc, 2-cylinder SOHC engine with a 4- or 5-speed transmission driving the front wheels. Outputs were 31 PS (23 kW; 31 hp) at 8,500 rpm for the Act and Pro versions, and 36 PS (26 kW; 36 hp) at an astronomical 9,000 rpm for the sportier TS and GS models. The Z600 model's 598 cc SOHC engine was rated at 36 PS (26 kW; 36 hp). In December 1971, the Z360 received a facelift and a water-cooled engine, it too producing 36 PS (26 kW; 36 hp) at 9,000 rpm. Only a month later, the 31 PS engine used in the lower spec variants (Standard, Deluxe, Automatic, Custom) also became water-cooled. The engine's technical achievements reflected influence from Honda's larger 1.3 L air-cooled four cylinder used in the Honda 1300 coupe and sedan.

One car magazine recording 136 mpg-imp (2.08 L/100 km; 113 mpg-US) when they didn't exceed 30 mph (48 km/h),[3] which came at almost the perfect time with a gasoline shortage looming.

Despite its small size and low-powered engine, the Z had no problem maintaining freeway speeds and serving its purpose as a commuter. The only frequent complaint about the car was that it had a very harsh ride, which was largely due to its short wheelbase. Front suspension is coil sprung and independent; the rear utilizes leaf springs on a live beam axle. This primitive rear suspension contributed to the relatively poor handling and ride quality of the car. The interior fit two adults comfortably, though the back seat was not nearly so accommodating.

The car featured an opening rear glass hatch surrounded by a thick black plastic surround, leading to nicknames such as "TV-set" and "swimming goggles". The hatch revealed a small, shallow cargo area. Below the cargo area was a locker that was accessed via a hatch hidden behind the number plate. This locker contained the spare wheel and tools. Later versions, after a November 1972 facelift, dispensed with this extra gate and were also of a pillarless design. These also received the new EA engine of 356 cc (22 cu in), now only available in a more powerful, 36 PS (26 kW; 36 hp) version.

In the UK the Z was only available in orange with a black stripe up the side and was always 600cc, though the engine size was never in the name.

A Honda Z was prominently featured in the Australian film Malcolm as a get-away car that split into two.

Source: wikipedia.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ferrer; 06-12-2013 at 12:16 PM.

smxi! Where have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by McLareN
    smxi! Where have you been?
    hmm, hard to explain... I was just wondering around.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    hmm, hard to explain... I was just wondering around.
    The earth endlessly searching for the reason as to why the fat lady sings?? And why is it that everyone wants her to stop? And yet why she doesn't seem to run out of breath?

hehe welcome bak
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Honda Z #2

For some reason yankees had their little Hondas equipped with bull bars?

Revo, you alsways have something nice to add to my threads... Why?

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    Honda Z
    Wow, first 3 pictures.......

I want one.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo
    For some reason yankees had their little Hondas equipped with bull bars?
    It's a carry handle

Looks like a gen 1 Civic.

I love this car. It's so radical for it's day.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

where did honda styling go wrong?this car is really nice, and now they have the hideous (american) civic, accord...

i am ok with the new Honda styling... but like i said in another thread; i have low standards
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

This guy has some great pic of Z racers:
    Picasa Web Albums - StarRiseLab.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

few more

Thank you smxi! I love these little things.
    For some reason I really like the way the leafsprings stick out the back reminiscent of the front of some cars from the '20s and '30s.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Thread Information