Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with Nascar?

What's up with Nascar?

Why is Nascar so popular, a few weeks ago i would have sworn on all the possesions i owned that it was THE most boring sport to watch in the world, that includes golf. Today ... I still go by that. Seriously its a bunch of cars going in circles, fine formula 1 is on an enclosed tracks but atleast it has more than 4 turns in a lap ... and they go in differnet directions, seriously.

As far as I can figure out the reason why its so popular is because its primary audience is ... americans. Im not trying to be a nationalist here but honestly speaking ... they in general are not smart people. If you give em a ball of yarn they can probubly amuse themselves for hours ...

I'm not even going to touch the whole thing about Americans and not being smart, but NASCAR is more than just turning left. First, it takes a lot of concentration and skill to make a 3800lb car go almost 200mph around a track for 500 miles. Watch the Dodge/Save Mart 350 this Sunday and you'll see stock cars turning left and right. Also NASCAR racers, unlike most of todays F1 drivers, compete in other racing series. Tony Stewart races sprint cars and midgets i think and Jeff Gordon regularly wins rally car races (not WRC of course, but rallies none the less)
    "It's the only car I've ever driven that'll spin the wheels at 200 mph."
    -Mark Donohue, talking about the Penske 917/30 twin-turbo Porsche Can-Am car.

I think I agree with knife edge here. I think it takes a tremendous amount more skill to be an F1 driver or the like then NASCAR. It honestly doesnt take more skill then turning a wheel. And it doesnt seem to be very multi-national. With F1 we have, Villenuve, Schumacer and Button but in NASCAR we have Jeff Gordon and Dale Eernhat JR and ppl. They are all north amreican. I know its meant for North-Americasn but come on people.

what's up with NASCAR?

Absolutely nothing
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

NASCAR is a great racing thing for those who don't want to be taxed having to watch a race, which is why Rallying has never truly picked up in the U.S. You can see the whole track from your one seat, Pit Stop strategies don't mean as much, and the drivers must rely on getting the most speed out of every corner, no daring overtaking moves by braking late here.

It may not seem to have the skill level, but people like Commercial Pilots would like it. Why? It demands concentration at a relatively mundane task (Driving at 200MPH....) for 4 or 5 hours. Better than TV!
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

only the crashes are nice to watch, the rest is just boring

You see this is why i like V8 Supercars. The same V8, RWD formula used in NASCAR, but its alot more like F1 ir DTM where the car body's are practically pulled off the street, stripped and fitted with a roll cage; the cars drive on a host of raceways, not circuits around the continent (soon to be world); a top 5 racer can make or break their race based on pit strategies etc. well you get where im coming from
    I am the Stig

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Well, I'm an american, and I'd rather watch ping-pong championships than nascar. I really don't understand how it's popular.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Oh, and I love rally racing, but I don't think I'd actually want to go to an event, for the reason mentioned, not much viewing time. It's more interesting on TV

Nascar

Not all Americans love Nascar, I can tell you that for sure. I honestly don't understand why it is popular either, who would want to watch a bunch or Tauras's and Monet Carlo's with truck engines go around in a circle.

The biggest problem I have with it is the race cars have nothing to do with the cars that they are supposedly based on, most of the production cars are front drive V6's not rear wheel drive V8's. I guess that is not important if it is only about entertainment... So why don't they just call it a Ford NASCAR instead of a Taurus??

I would much rather watch the ETC or DTM races, but they just don't show them in the states that much.

NASCAR = white trash Olympics, that is all I can say for sure.

sm

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    I would much rather watch a NASCAR race at bristol than the U.S. Grand Prix ant Indy. Not only are the races predictable, but they aren't entertainingat all. Look at the Champions from the last five years in NASCAR vs. F1:
    NASCAR F1
    99 Dale Jarett Mika Hakkinen
    00 Bobby LaBonte Michael Schumacher
    01 Jeff Gordon Michael Schumacher
    02 Tony Stewart Michael Schumacher
    03 Matt Kenseth Michael Schumacher

04 more than 10 in the running Michael Schumacher

At least in NASCAR they race, not chase.

It does take more than just turning the wheel, you have to know when to brake, when to turn, how much your car can take before it spins, and aerodynamics are a huge issue, the best drafters are often the one who win the races.
    "It's the only car I've ever driven that'll spin the wheels at 200 mph."
    -Mark Donohue, talking about the Penske 917/30 twin-turbo Porsche Can-Am car.

Was is last year that the guy who won 6 out of 18 races, did not win the championship and a guy who only won once did?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

All forms of racing have their 'goods' and 'bads'.

NASCAR may looked easy on TV but I'm sure it's not...maybe not as demanding as F1 but still not 'easy'.

You guys ever watched NACSARs on road courses? It's TONS OF FUN to watch (and some times team owners have to bring in specialty drivers for them).

Althought I'm a Ferrari fan, don't tell me that seeing the red F1 car way ahead of the pack in a GP race is 'exciting'...

Just my 2 cents
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

First of all, the attack on americans is not needed. Making generalizations and stereotypes shows ignorance.

NASCAR does take a lot of skill and knowledge, as does any form of racing. NASCAR has some great drivers that are very talented. In fact I remember when Speed Channel had the special were Jeff Gordon got to take a spin in the Williams FW25 and the Indy course. His best lap was 3 or 4 seconds off the qualifying times at Indy. That's pretty impressive for someone who's never driven a Grand Prix car.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Thread Information