Thread: Car Themed Movies

Car Themed Movies

Hi all, hope everyone is going well. I'm a bit of a film buff and love movies, and if cars happen to be in the movies, well, all the better.

Anyone have suggestions for good automotive or car themed movies?

I just happened to see the movie Rush since it was on Netflix and it was really enjoyable. Senna was a good movie too.

I might get laughed out of here for suggesting anything from the Fast and the Furious, but I caught pieces of Fast 5 and that was enjoyable too. Throwaway action movie, but fun at least, if you look at it as a heist movie that happens to have cars.

Other good car based movies-

Baby Driver- fun car, fun songs.

Driver

Pixar's Cars series- fun, but not too serious. I still think the first one is the best one and each following sequel was slightly worse

Le Mans- pretty good for the feel of a Le Mans race.

Bullitt- Kind of a clumsy cop movie centered around a 20 minute chase around San Francisco.

Nightcrawler- kind of a stretch, but Jake Gylenhall was great in it.

The Fast and The Furious will always be my favorite car movies.

Mad Max : the first movie is still a classic IMO. 600 hp of fuel injected vengeance ;-)

I also enjoyed Mad Max : Fury Road a lot.

Honorable mention: The 2011 movie Drive.
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 04-26-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Originally Posted by Cairostudent

What are you favorite car related old school movies / films? I have a task to do my assignment on car themed films that highlight the most important virtues in humanity.
    Baby Driver is still on my top list though.
    Baby Driver is cool. But I really enjoyed watching these (and rewatched all of them multiple times already):

Gumball Rally
    Roadkill
    Gone in 60 seconds

My picks aren't movies, but I've always loved the cars in both Columbo and the Rockford Files; the titular Columbo drives a Peugeot 403 Cabriolet! How many of those could possibly have existed, even at the time, in the US?

Anyway, both take place in 1970s Los Angeles with all the far-out automotive subcultures that encompasses: burnt-out hippies, chainsmoking Cadillac backseaters, stringback glovesmen, thrifty and pert little Japanese runabouts, the Mercedes country-club set; they've got everything.

I can also heartily recommend them (especially Columbo) as good TV, which car-centric content often fails to be. The pacing, like the cars, is very '70s: British fans of Morse will recognize the walking pace of the show as clues are deliberately and artfully collected and ruminated upon. It's an especially-pleasant antidote to the gunshot!, car-chase!, semen stain! style of cop procedural that seems to have been king for the last twenty years... The Rockford Files leans a bit more in that direction and crunches Pontiacs with gay abandon (even though they weren't yet falling out of railcars onto TV sets...), but I still find its canter to Columbo's trot gentle enough.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I can also heartily recommend them (especially Columbo) as good TV
    Oh.... One more thing...

Hard to argue with a kinda niche hidden brilliant flick, Ronin. Gorgeous.

You watch the Rockford Files?! Are you 65?!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Mad Max : the first movie is still a classic IMO. 600 hp of fuel injected vengeance ;-)

I also enjoyed Mad Max : Fury Road a lot.

Honorable mention: The 2011 movie Drive.
    The newer Mad Max was very enjoyable! I did not see the original yet. Whoops, that's what I meant when I wrote Driver*.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPsyche View Post
    Baby Driver is cool. But I really enjoyed watching these (and rewatched all of them multiple times already):

Gumball Rally
    Roadkill
    Gone in 60 seconds
    Gone in 60 Seconds with Nick Cage was so bad it's good, I remember sneaking into it as a kid with my cousin haha. It's bad/good nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    My picks aren't movies, but I've always loved the cars in both Columbo and the Rockford Files; the titular Columbo drives a Peugeot 403 Cabriolet! How many of those could possibly have existed, even at the time, in the US?

Anyway, both take place in 1970s Los Angeles with all the far-out automotive subcultures that encompasses: burnt-out hippies, chainsmoking Cadillac backseaters, stringback glovesmen, thrifty and pert little Japanese runabouts, the Mercedes country-club set; they've got everything.

I can also heartily recommend them (especially Columbo) as good TV, which car-centric content often fails to be. The pacing, like the cars, is very '70s: British fans of Morse will recognize the walking pace of the show as clues are deliberately and artfully collected and ruminated upon. It's an especially-pleasant antidote to the gunshot!, car-chase!, semen stain! style of cop procedural that seems to have been king for the last twenty years... The Rockford Files leans a bit more in that direction and crunches Pontiacs with gay abandon (even though they weren't yet falling out of railcars onto TV sets...), but I still find its canter to Columbo's trot gentle enough.
    That sounds interesting haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Oh.... One more thing...

Hard to argue with a kinda niche hidden brilliant flick, Ronin. Gorgeous.

You watch the Rockford Files?! Are you 65?!
    Ronin is such a good film! The Audi A8 and the BMW M5. *chef's kiss*

My all-time favorite car-themed movie is Gone in 60 Seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin68 View Post
    My all-time favorite car-themed movie is Gone in 60 Seconds. The sound in the scene on the bridge is truly awesome. I even boosted it via this tool.
    Nicholas Cage is perfect there. Like in Face Off
    Last edited by Cunde; 10-29-2021 at 10:32 AM.

As a movie buff I am embarrassed but I forget that James Bond also is very often car themed!

Just watched No Time to Die in the theaters about a week and it's most definitely enjoyable! The cars really don't get featured much more than a cameo and there aren't any gadget filled cars either, but there are definitely more cars featured in this film than expected.

Seriously? In no particular order, here are several that should be required viewing by anyone blurting out Fast & Furious. Report back after you've watch a few. Agreed on Ronin, BTW. And the first Mad Max.

Vanishing Point
    Two Lane Black Top
    Dirty Larry, Crazy Mary
    Gone In 60 Seconds (the original version)
    King of the Mountain
    Last American Hero
    Death Race 2000
    Cannonball

And though it's really a short film, not a movie, with no dialog and no plot, it IS a masterpiece: Rendevous C'était un Rendez vous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJYOMFayruw
    Last edited by csl177; 10-26-2021 at 05:25 PM.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I watched the YouTube link, it is quite impressive. Thanks. I wonder which car they used?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    I watched the YouTube link, it is quite impressive. Thanks. I wonder which car they used?
    From what I've read, his own Mercedes sedan... dubbed and edited sound is from a Ferrari 275 GTB.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    From what I've read, his own Mercedes sedan... dubbed and edited sound is from a Ferrari 275 GTB.
    Huh, never in my life would have guessed that, a car getting dubbed with another car's sound

Yeah the first one of Pixar's Cars was the best in that series, definitely... hmm movies about cars, well I was watching Mad Max the other day and it's not really my type of thing but the steampunk post-apocalypse cars are cool.

Also, oldies but goodies, I love all the installment series of "The Love Bug", Herbie the Volkswagen Beetle.

My favorite is "Herbie: Fully loaded" from 2005, reminds me of my days in high school plus who didn't love Lindsay Lohan those days!

Thread Information