Thread: Death Valley: 130 Degrees!

Death Valley: 130 Degrees!

Hi, yes, I am still here. Still look at the forums at times.

Most people know that Death Valley, in California, experiences very hot temperatures during the summer. I have been following the temps there for 40 years.

Have been waiting all that time for that place to reach 130 degrees F (54.4 C). It did get very close several times with a reading of 129 F (53.8 C). So frustrating!

Finally, last August 16, the official reading there was 130 degrees! As recent as last week, it did hit 128 degrees (53.3 C)... off to a good start this year. I highly doubt it will again record 130 degrees (54.4 C) but anything is possible.

Here it is listed in the Los Angeles Times, the second photo a close-up.

'76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Wow, there's a blast from the past, good to see you.

I have heard the entire west has been super hot, it's going up to BC as well.

Do you know if that weather post is at or near Furnace Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Wow, there's a blast from the past, good to see you.

I have heard the entire west has been super hot, it's going up to BC as well.

Do you know if that weather post is at or near Furnace Creek?
    Thanks, Kitdy.

Yes, the official weather station is at Furnace Creek Ranch. Elevation -178 (below sea level, -52.4 meters).

Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington are suppose to be very hot, well above average temps for the next few days.

Canada set an all time high temp in the inland of BC in some small town, it was 46 C one day and 47 C the other, which is around 116 F.

That's uh, pretty hot. TO in the summer is like a slightly cooler NYC; air temp is 30-35 on a hot day, plus humidity getting into the low 40s C.

Canada set an all time high temp in the inland of BC in some small town, it was 46 C one day and 47 C the other, which is around 116 F.

That's uh, pretty hot. TO in the summer is like a slightly cooler NYC; air temp is 30-35 on a hot day, plus humidity getting into the low 40s C.
    It was even worse (hotter) than that. The town of Lytton recorded 121 degrees F yesterday (49.4 C)! This ties the record maximum temp in North Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    It was even worse (hotter) than that. The town of Lytton recorded 121 degrees F yesterday (49.4 C)! This ties the record maximum temp in North Dakota.
    And I have just read that town of Lytton is to be entirely evacuated due to wildfires.

Not good, folks.

Kitdy, whereabouts are you in Canada? I'm guessing Ontario?

Fleet 500, glad to see you're doing well!

Everyone stay safe! It was fairly warm a few days ago but not so much now.

It was 101 on the thermometer in partial shade outside when I finished work, but the heat wave has mostly dissipated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah I'm in Toronto. We're having sporadic storms here, which is somewhat usual as they're fairly rare.

Weather in NYC doesn't seem too different from here; it's a bit colder here. I went to NYC late summer in 2018 and it was like 40C nearly every day. That was pretty hot.

It reached 130 degrees F (54.4 C) again at Death Valley yesterday. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be about the same. And 104 degrees (40 C) minimum temp!

Was just reading this (2 mins ago) Fleet. Wow.

It's only gotta get hotter. It kinda blow my mind that the US has the hottest temps over equatorial Africa. Such a variation in temps here in North America.

With windchill/humidity, Toronto goes from about -30C (-20 F) to 40C (105 F).

Was just reading this (2 mins ago) Fleet. Wow.

It's only gotta get hotter. It kinda blow my mind that the US has the hottest temps over equatorial Africa. Such a variation in temps here in North America.

With windchill/humidity, Toronto goes from about -30C (-20 F) to 40C (105 F).
    Yes, 130 degrees F two years in a row. Maybe that was the peak temperature there for this year. Hard to tell; we will just have to wait and see.

But Death Valley is a desert so not really surprising that it can be very hot.

Thread Information