Thread: New Gordon Murray Automotive T.33, Porsche LMDh and Morgan LM62 ...

New Gordon Murray Automotive T.33, Porsche LMDh and Morgan LM62 ...

Joining the highly anticipated three-seater T.50 in the line-up, Gordon Murray Automotive have today revealed the T.33. It shares the same design philosophy with its bigger brother but only has two seats and a slightly detuned version of the bespoke Cosworth V12. Still capable of revving well over 10,000 rpm, the 3.9-litre unit is good for a hefty 606 bhp. As standard, it is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox, while a paddle-shift automatic is available as an option. The achingly beautiful T.33 should weigh less than 1,100 kg and production is strictly limited to 100 examples.
    Following a few teaser images released last week, Porsche have now published more images and details of the upcoming LMDh sports racer. Due to compete on both sides of the Atlantic, it will be powered by a twin-turbo V8 that is mated to a hybrid system that will be identical on all cars. Thanks to the ACO and IMSA agreeing on a common ruleset, the Porsche LMDh will be among the first sports prototypes to be eligible for Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans in a generation.
    Exactly 60 years ago this year, a Morgan Plus 4 SuperSports was driven to a famous class win at Le Mans. To mark the occasion, the British manufacturer will produce 62 examples of the Plus Four LM62. Mechanically similar to the recently launched Plus Four, the LM62 comes with many subtle nods to the Morgan that won at Le Mans, wearing the legendary 'TOK 258' registration number. Priced at £78,995, the LM62 package comes at a considerable premium.

Enjoy the links:

2023 Gordon Murray Automotive T.33

2022 Morgan Plus Four LM62

2023 Porsche LMDh
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think I prefer the T.33 to the T.50, which was the last car launched about which I was really excited. Perhaps some 911 GTS/GT3 analogy is warranted. The T.50's more-modern styling integrates a little better for me; the retro '60s racing sportscar styling sits a little uncomfortably with the modern filigree: big wheels (I know they're pretty small by modern supercar standards), low-profile tires, and the slashcut beneath the doors. However, I think the design as a whole is very-nicely implemented and the engine is a real gem. No ****ing turboes! How hard was that? It took Cosworth to surmount that particular omission, so, presumably, it was quite difficult... Hell, I would have been happy with nine or ten thousand rpm and the attendant decrease in power, but they decided to reach for the superlative and I'm quite pleased that they did.

I like the whimsy of he "shaker hood" just as I like the whimsy of the fan on the T.50, which I believe to be more a solution in search of a problem than an actual engineering necessity. The simple, unadorned styling and the simple two-seat layout really push this ahead of the T.50 in my eyes as it makes it more of a sportscar, albeit a $1.8 million sportscar, than the now-traditional vulgar-display-of-power hypercar look and feel that I get from the (still-debonair) 50. Yes, the T.50 is positively restrained and classy compared to its contemporaries, but the 50's restraint is relative: it doesn't have an octuple-turbo W24 and enough vents to aerate the moon, but it still has wings, a V12, ducts, and silly doors which fits within that hypercar paradigm.

Simplicity, a bit of fun, a lack of visual and engineering clutter, Manuel's gearbox, and that lovely engine really make me excited about the 33. Additionally, Mr. (Dr.? Prof.?) Murray stated that the T.33 will be GMA's final non-hybrid car, though, comfortingly, he plans to take the V12 all the way down the hellride that will be the next decade's electrification legislation until it is no longer allowed. I resent when carmakers say that something is the "last of" anything, as past experience shows that's often marketing drivel, however I trust Murray's intentions and am not put off by it in this particular case.

While I like hybrids and daily drive a two-seat, manual, composite and aluminum, highly-aerodynamic hybrid (basically a T.33+, right?), I find that, as of current, hybrid systems sit uneasily in super and hypercars. The lalalaFerrari's 516 lb-ft are in no need of "torque fills" or whatever other cosmetological electrification wank the major supercar marques are trying to shift. As something of an automotive absolutist, apparently, I'd prefer pure gasoline or pure electricity as the motivation for these allegedly hyper-focused vehicles.

As ever with Murray's cars, from the F1, to the Ox, to the T.25, to the recent GMA quick stuff I feel like the cars have been developed by a kindred spirit and, without getting too saccharine, make me feel like a kid at a car show again when they're released. I relish that delight.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 01-28-2022 at 09:08 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    elegant prose
    Here, here! Well written. Yeah this is one of the few cars that does make ya feel like a little kid seeing super car in the flesh. You do love to see it.

I've never been super keen on the looks of Murary's designs, but eh, that's ok somehow if what it is, it's essence, is something like this.

I don't actually know if they've begun the produciton run or delivers for the T.50 even. It seems no? "Early 2022." Will like to see this driven on YT by a Harris or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Here, here! Well written. Yeah this is one of the few cars that does make ya feel like a little kid seeing super car in the flesh. You do love to see it.

I've never been super keen on the looks of Murary's designs, but eh, that's ok somehow if what it is, it's essence, is something like this.

I don't actually know if they've begun the produciton run or delivers for the T.50 even. It seems no? "Early 2022." Will like to see this driven on YT by a Harris or similar.
    Apparently first delivery of the T33 is going to be around 2024. When he spoke to Gordon Murray they're committed to more V12 vehicles but their next car is going to have some sort of hybrid system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILycsqvRnb4

F6Hellcat, you do bring up good points, and I do like that Gordon Murray is doing the V12's final sendoff as opposed to Ferrari or any other major manufacturer.

My only complaint is how low production they are, I think they're only building about 100 units of the T33 at around $1.3 million each.

Definitely not cross shopping between this and the Supra.

Thread Information