Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Dream Car (THATS in your reach)

Im thinking of buying a Mazdaspeed6 when I graduate from college, any thoughts?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    Minis are more german than british...
    not the original this is evident in the fact that nuts and bolts require both metric and AF spanners to undo them....
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    not the original this is evident in the fact that nuts and bolts require both metric and AF spanners to undo them....
    Fun...
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Yeah, I'm with the sandals post, however, I am thinking of my next project car which will be a 1985 Subaru Brat in which I wll subplant a WRX driveline. Of course, that will take close to a year to finish, but I already have found the donor wrx. I have yet to see a hairdresser in either car, I think they would probably like a corolla or mazda 6 or something... who knows.

I know I am aiming high but one day (maybe when I turn 80) I would love to own one of these:
    - Ultima GTR
    - Noble M12
    - Lotus Espirit V8 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
    Im thinking of buying a Mazdaspeed6 when I graduate from college, any thoughts?
    Awesome Q car, apparently its almost as fast on the road as a Subaru WRX...almost.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Toyota MR2 Mark ll Turbo T-Bar, its a good little car all around, very affordable, tops out at around 160 stock so yeah

Suzuki Swift Sport

Cheap
    Sporty
    Handsome
    Economical
    Small, neat & nimble
    Apparently a hoot to drive and according to Evo it will give a Porsche Cayman 2.7 a real run for it's money
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Porsche 914

914 conversion
    350 Chevy with twin turbos
    700 hp?

You are gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by uopshadow
    You are gorgeous
    Why thankyou, I'm blushing.

Not exactly within my reach but someday I want a
    Mercedes Brabus U500 Black Edition
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

I'm thinking a 944 turbo or 944 turbo s. They run for about 15 grand Cdn.

A BMW 1998-2001 model 323i or a 320Ci or an old BMW M3. I would love a third generation blue or black Mazda RX-7 Series 7 or Series 8 as well.
    Last edited by john14; 02-17-2007 at 01:31 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    on the vauxhall badge issue front, our beloved JC says in his tv series "the car years" in the "family car 2000" episode syas "Vauxhall, an 8 track badge in a cd-rom world". And in my opinion if ther are any european cars that adopt the souless character of many japanese and korean cars it would be vauxhall. OVerall though the company car image just kills them, something the mondeo can rise above unlike the vectra.
    I honestly don't see why you feel this way.

For a start, JC has always had something against Vauxhall and even when they produce a great car, he HAS to find something against it. Maybe this has something to do with him sometimes acting like a small-minded ogre of a man. Case in point: The latest VXR Astras and Vectras. They DON'T understeer like he claims. Evo magazine have tracked both and they compare VERY FAVOURABLY to other cars in their classes. The Vectra VXR was only 0.5 of a second behind the Mitsubishi Evo 8 260BHP and ahead of the Mercedes S65AMG, Jaguar XK, Nissan 350Z AND Mazda RX-8 around Bedford Autodrome's West Circuit.

The Astra VXR beat ALL of its rivals around the same track, the only one to be faster was the much more expensive Golf R32. The Astra was faster than the Golf GTi, Ford Focus ST, Renault Megane Trophy, BMW 130i M-Sport and Mini Cooper S.

Vauxhalls are not sub-standard products and haven't been in any of the time we've owned them. My dad (now a driving instructor) used to be a service engineer clocking up on average 45,000 miles a year in his cars. over the years he's had about 4 Cavaliers, 2 Astras and more recently 2 Vectras, which we'd recommend to anyone looking for a good family car.

The last company car he chose for himself was a 1999 Vectra 2.0i16v GLS hatch. 3 years and 125,000 miles later it hadn't missed a beat, hadn't put a foot wrong and pissed all over the car my dad's company replaced it with when the lease expired - a 2001 Mondeo.

The same Vectra took all kinds of punishment in it's stride: Moving house (loading it with heavy and bulky stuff); Dad's job (engineer carrying heavy parts over long distances); Being hit from behind whilst stopped at traffic lights (kid in a Clio on his mobile phone, the Vectra only had a clip broken on the rear bumper, the Clio lost it's whole front end) and being driven in, let's just say, a "spirited" manner quite often.

Not only that but we found it to be superior to every rival we drove in the way it drives and the comfort over long distances. I remember having to rescue my dad's boss in his Lexus IS200SE when it (and dozens of other cars) couldn't get though some very bad weather, the Vectra though followed the Cavalier in being stable and safe under all driving conditions.

We live on a steep hill and when it snows and gets icy, you have to have one hell of a car to get up here. The neighbours RWD BMWs have no chance at it, slithering sideways everywhere with their stupid stability control systems bogging them down in the snow. The Mondeo went sideways with its front wheels spinning uselessly even at low revs using the same type of tyre as the Vectra, needless to say that the Vectra was one of the only cars that could get up the hill.

I drive a 2004 Corsa, which I bought from my mother in October. When she drove it, it was involved in an accident http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...highlight=polo . Just look at how it fared against the side of a new Polo. The Polo was written off, the whole side was bent like a banana. The sum of the damage to the Corsa was a new bumper, headlight and wing (the wing only needed to be replaced because of a clip that was sheared on it). I'd say that's pretty damn impressive.

I regard all of Vauxhall's latest cars (the new Corsa, Astra, Vectra, Meriva, Zafira etc.) as being of at least equal quality to the equivalent Volkswagen. In fact, our neighbour's BMW has been back to the garage countless times for faults. We regularly see a 'BMW Assistance' vehicle on their drive and my Dad's Mini has been back to the dealer so many times it just isn't funny, no such problems with the Vauxhalls we've had. So why then do they still get stuck with a low quality image problem?

As for the "company car image", BMWs, Mercs etc. are just as likely to be company cars, what's wrong with that? Why must one manufacturer be tarnished when others are deemed to be "high quality" and "cool" by the masses when they produce the same type of car for the same purpose, and as far as I can tell with no difference in quality?

Thread Information