Page 368 of 470 FirstFirst ... 268318358366367368369370378418468 ... LastLast
Results 5,506 to 5,520 of 7050

Thread: The "I just saw a...." thread

Rob you should get an 848. I think that the 848/1098/1198 are maybe the best looking bikes I have ever seen - certainly the most beautiful bikes in the modern style - the D16RR is real pretty too.

I just wrote the stuff all below and you're probably not gonna like it, and it makes my recommendation of the 848 seem strange, but they are just so damn sexy. I could look at one for ages and if I owned one - damn that would please me. Plus, you like Ducatis so it makes sense. Not exactly sure how much more an 848 is over a Japanese 600, but it could be worth it (if you like the V-Twin and style)

Not keen on sportbike Ducs before the current range though - not a fan of the look of your 749 Dark, not a fan of any of their 90s or 80s (no bikes looked good in the 80s) models either.

Keen on the 750 GT though - that is one of the best classic bike designs I've seen along with the CB750.

I think the problem with Ducatis is you are paying a huge premium for the name. They are better looking than their Japanese counterparts, but when it comes to performance, and especially value, they aren't any better, or are worse.

Throw up an 1198 against a CBR1000 or S1000R (yes I know it's German) on the track, and not only am I pretty sure that the Honda and BMW would be faster, I think they also would be better to ride. That isn't just speculation either - the reviews I have read have made it pretty hard to justify the extra coin for Ducatis based on performance alone let alone value. Once you start throwing around the maintenance costs (as Matra has so many times pointed out) - especially for the desmodromics, then they make even less sense.

Their appeal is they are sexy and Italian, and they charge a premium for this.

Unlike their brethren at Ferrari though, they don't really back it up with superior performance. The Japanese 4 and BMW can run with the best Ducati can put out - and as mentioned earlier, for cheaper!

Whatever though. Have you ridden a Japanese 600? Maybe consider one of those before you decide on another Duc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Rob you should get an 848. I think that the 848/1098/1198 are maybe the best looking bikes I have ever seen - certainly the most beautiful bikes in the modern style - the D16RR is real pretty too.

I just wrote the stuff all below and you're probably not gonna like it, and it makes my recommendation of the 848 seem strange, but they are just so damn sexy. I could look at one for ages and if I owned one - damn that would please me. Plus, you like Ducatis so it makes sense. Not exactly sure how much more an 848 is over a Japanese 600, but it could be worth it (if you like the V-Twin and style)

Not keen on sportbike Ducs before the current range though - not a fan of the look of your 749 Dark, not a fan of any of their 90s or 80s (no bikes looked good in the 80s) models either.

Keen on the 750 GT though - that is one of the best classic bike designs I've seen along with the CB750.

I think the problem with Ducatis is you are paying a huge premium for the name. They are better looking than their Japanese counterparts, but when it comes to performance, and especially value, they aren't any better, or are worse.

Throw up an 1198 against a CBR1000 or S1000R (yes I know it's German) on the track, and not only am I pretty sure that the Honda and BMW would be faster, I think they also would be better to ride. That isn't just speculation either - the reviews I have read have made it pretty hard to justify the extra coin for Ducatis based on performance alone let alone value. Once you start throwing around the maintenance costs (as Matra has so many times pointed out) - especially for the desmodromics, then they make even less sense.

Their appeal is they are sexy and Italian, and they charge a premium for this.

Unlike their brethren at Ferrari though, they don't really back it up with superior performance. The Japanese 4 and BMW can run with the best Ducati can put out - and as mentioned earlier, for cheaper!

Whatever though. Have you ridden a Japanese 600? Maybe consider one of those before you decide on another Duc.
    I know where you're comin from, Cam. The other bikes in the same class are pretty much all better on paper, but there's just something about riding a Duc that the others can't fulfill. I've been on Jap 600s and they are absolutely mind blowing. I hate the way they sound though. That annoying "wing!!!!" as opposed to the low muscly burble of the Vtwins. Then there's the Germans with their BMWs. What the hell is it with that company and making asymmetrical bikes. Its science that human beings are attracted to symmetrical shapes. We base our choice of partners in life on it, and I would imagine most (other than brand snobs) would base their choice of bike on it too. Lets face it, BMWs are ugly as sin when compared with any sport bike out of Japan and certainly anything out of Italy.
    Not that its important, but I even got a thumbs up from an H.A. affiliate from the comfort of his hog. Can't imagine the jap riders get that sort of approval much lol. I've been eyeing the 848 for some time now. Its styling and Jap-like user friendliness (wet clutch) really appeals to me. I'm still considering another 749/999 bike as well though. They didn't get the sort of approval that the 848/1098 line did because their styling was too far ahead of their time and much too distant from the beloved M.Tamburini bikes. In time, I do believe that the 749/999 bikes will get their deserved credit, as they are extremely unique and far more rare than the new, mass produced, low maintenance superbikes of today. Whatever I do decide on, I'm about 80% sure that in the next couple of months I'm going to make a decision that many may deem reckless . I will outright admit that I am a snob for the Ducati brand and that I have no plans of buying anything else. At least not until MV Agusta becomes legal in Canada. Then I could really use an F4 *melts*.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesmoRob View Post
    Thats exactly how I feel right now, and I'm very close to caving on myself and picking another one up. I already look upon all the other people on two wheels out there with great jealously, let alone the Ducati riders. Biking is such an awesome experience. Much more fun than driving a car to be honest. Riding a Ducati makes it that much better too.

Starting with how much sexier they are than 90% of the other bikes out there, the way the power comes on, and that unique sound of engine combined with dry clutch hammering away. Everyone has their own personal reasons for preferring a bike, but those are a big three why people love Ducs....and now I really want mine back .

I forgot to add that having a Duc is also about passion and emotion. Much the same reason why someone would buy a Ferrari over say a GT-R that would otherwise spank it for less than half the price. There is a great rush of feelings that come into play with riding/driving something so special.
    Ok, I see now. But I still prefer my Yamaha's and Suzuki's.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    Ok, I see now. But I still prefer my Yamaha's and Suzuki's.
    Nothing wrong with that. They are far cheaper to maintain and easier to live with all around. You should get your license. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    What's so special about a Ducati motorbike? I'd prefer a Suzuki or Yamaha. Just curious is all.
    as replacement for small mail appendages.

Ducati is an image bike.
    There are other twins that sound as good, ride as good and are a lot cheaper to service and run.
    Ducati had hung-on to trellis frame and desmo gearing in fear of spoiling that fanaticism.

As you won't convince a Ferarri Tifosi that Porsche have anything to offer, so the same exists for Ducati owners.

THANKFULLY as motorbikes woudl be boring if they were all the same.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

At least not until MV Agusta becomes legal in Canada. Then I could really use an F4 *melts*.
    QFT
    Best day ever on IoM was poser with latest model Duc parking it in middle of lot so everyone woudl come admire.
    Which we and dozens of others did.
    Until an MV turned up
    It was embarrasing for the Duc guy as he was no longer centre of attraction !

I'm biased on the MV having dined with Phil Read where we talked about the parts he was developing for the bike The kind of thing that can ONLY happen on the Isle of Man !!!!

I fell in love with the Kawasaki Z1000 latest version at dealership yesterday. TINY for a 1litre bike, 600cc sized - which I prefer for it's chuckability on the twisties and track
    See the vid Kawasaki Z1000
    The Ivory White and Orange is georgeous in real life ......

.... and YES .... I *AM* a hooligan on a bike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 04-23-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    as replacement for small mail appendages.

Ducati is an image bike.
    There are other twins that sound as good, ride as good and are a lot cheaper to service and run.
    Ducati had hung-on to trellis frame and desmo gearing in fear of spoiling that fanaticism.

As you won't convince a Ferarri Tifosi that Porsche have anything to offer, so the same exists for Ducati owners.

THANKFULLY as motorbikes woudl be boring if they were all the same.
    To be honest, couldn't you also say that about Porsche and the 911? Carmakers moved onto a superior mid-engine platform, larger displacement engines, etc. while Porsche is trying to engineer around a rear engine layout?

QFT
    Best day ever on IoM was poser with latest model Duc parking it in middle of lot so everyone woudl come admire.
    Which we and dozens of others did.
    Until an MV turned up
    It was embarrasing for the Duc guy as he was no longer centre of attraction !
    I remember you telling this story some time ago. Its rare that something comes along to outshine a Ducati in the wow department, kind of like when you're parking your Ferrari the last thing you'd ever expect to happen would be for a Pagani to come and steal your thunder. Unfortunately I've only seen one MV in real life, and that was a Brutale down in New York. Its probably slim to none that I'll encounter one passing through my town, regrettably. I pray that they will get their sh!t together and start selling in Canada. I only know of one person that brought an F4 into Canada, and he did so by having it shipped across the border a few parts at a time. He had it assembled and insured as a kit bike afaik. A huge hassle, but probably well worth it once everything was said and done. Nothing has a presence about it quite like an F4. Its Tamburini's masterpiece. Nevertheless, I'm completely satisfied with sticking to my Ducatis. They tie the Okanagan summers together nicely .

NSX, agreed

RM, you gotta plan to get to the IoM TT before it gets stopped and see all the bikes as they were MEANT to be riden. AND you get the chance to go in the paddock, talk to the mechanics, the riders, see the bikes in bits etc etc etc. Best of all three are always classic bikes over for the historic "race" and you can see the iconic Ducs adn Benellis, Morini, Honda, Suzuki etc etc and even a few JPS Norton Rotaries. If lucky enough Honda fire up the museum 50cc race bikes and rev them out to 20-25K and up the 10 speed gearbox

RM, you gotta plan to get to the IoM TT before it gets stopped and see all the bikes as they were MEANT to be riden.
    Why would they stop it?

NSX, agreed

RM, you gotta plan to get to the IoM TT before it gets stopped and see all the bikes as they were MEANT to be riden. AND you get the chance to go in the paddock, talk to the mechanics, the riders, see the bikes in bits etc etc etc. Best of all three are always classic bikes over for the historic "race" and you can see the iconic Ducs adn Benellis, Morini, Honda, Suzuki etc etc and even a few JPS Norton Rotaries. If lucky enough Honda fire up the museum 50cc race bikes and rev them out to 20-25K and up the 10 speed gearbox
    A Honda 10 speed? From the olden days? Really? Never heard about that.

I know much less about bikes than cars, fill me in.

Sydney, Australia - in a Castle in the Hills

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Nothing wrong with that. They are far cheaper to maintain and easier to live with all around. You should get your license. You won't regret it.
    It's a little harder than you think it is. If your me that is... But I have been thinking about it.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    A Honda 10 speed? From the olden days? Really? Never heard about that.
    In the 60s Honda were REALLY pushing the limits in engine design - even ceramic pistons, liners etc etc VERY ESOTERIC and iirc there was also an 18-speed gearbox in one of the 50cc racers.
    HUGE BHP/cc but it came at the price of having a VERY narrow power band, but being HONDA that wans't an issue, they just designed extremely compact and light gearboxes. Have heard the Honda 10 speed accelerate away changing up the box and then back down under braking for corner -- SURREAL to hear so many changes
    Honda were decades ahead of some of the ideas that it took even F1 engineers time to come around to realise the benefits.
    Most of "innovation" in the last 20 years in car engines had been seen already in bikes, sometimes DECADES before !!!
    Even injection - though VERY short lived on first attempts due to the vibrations !!!

Have heard the Honda 10 speed accelerate away changing up the box and then back down under braking for corner -- SURREAL to hear so many changes
    must sound like it's stuttering almost!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information