Page 467 of 470 FirstFirst ... 367417457465466467468469 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,005 of 7039

Thread: The "I just saw a...." thread

  1. #6991
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,417
    I saw today a brand new white C7 Coupť in Barcelona. So it turns out that you can indeed buy them here.

    Also drove along a Brera for some time today. It is amazing how, after all those years, it still looks like its a million.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  2. #6992
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,148
    Yeah, and the new Alfas look worse. I love the Brera. So distinct and imposing. If something as attractive as the Brera was a counterpart to the Giulia... That'd be quite nice.

  3. #6993
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,417
    A Giulia-ified Brera would be excellent.

    They would sell about three, but still.

    German 2 door saloons disguised as coupťs are boring.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  4. #6994
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Rolls Royce Phantom
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

  5. #6995
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    └A & Connecticlump
    Posts
    5,258
    Sitting in French traffic, baguette-wielding maniacs all around and the acrid smell of diesel in the air, an Otto-cycle Alfa Brera went blasting (20 km/h) past me on the shoulder.

    As the kiddies say: I wasn't even mad. What a lovely car and anyone brave enough to buy one and fill it with God's-own-fuel in dieseling France deserves to be granted some leeway.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

  6. #6996
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,417
    Those are what we should classify in a brand new category I've just thought of, the automotive everyday-unicorns-of-greatness.

    They are those cars that do not necessarily need to be expensive or exotic, but that it takes some effort to know them, buy them or run them. This can be for a number of reasons, limited availability, small dealer network or unsuited to local conditions amongst others. But when you see them you know there's hope still and that, in that particular moment in time, everything is well with the world.

    Much like the Brera, I saw today a CitroŽn C6 (an early one). In that deep shade of blue among an ocean of silver Audi S-Lines, BMW M-Sports, AMG-Line Mercs the big CitroŽn was refreshing to say the least.

    The man who drove it deserves respect; yes he could've gone to his local premium German dealer, but he instead chose to stray from the path, to do things differently, to be left field, to think outside the box, to defy conventionalism.

    I approve that. And anyone that considers himself/herself a proper petrolhead should too, regardless of whether it's their type of car or not.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  7. #6997
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,148
    Warning: rant.

    I just saw a Cadillac CTS on my street yesterday. Nothing exceptional you know, but it got me thinking. It is disappointing Cadillac is selling so poorly. They are making some great cars now.

    A slight aside before I continue: as yous likely know, I have a strange emotional relationship with US automakers. I tend to be a contrarian; this makes me want to cheer on the Americans at the expense of the Germans and the Japanese. BMW, Honda, and Toyota seem to be like GM was from the 70s-90s; resting on their laurels, (though not at all as hard GM did). But as a young lad, I grew up with a father who discussed how poor most American cars were even as we drove and Oldsmobile and Plymouth (we've since moved on to Japanese products). It kinda sucks when a product that should succeed on paper is not successful because of emotional and prestige issues; BMW and Benz don't often make garbage cars, but if they did they would still sell because of the badge. Cadillac has nailed it with the ATS and CTS (ok the interior amenities are not as nice as Mercedes, and CUE is garbage) and the public is overlooking them, as are the enthusiasts,

    As a Canadian, I also have niggling rivalry issues with the US; using the word "domestic" for the Big Three, as many Canadians do, sounds odd to me. Though to be fair, there is a lot of production from them on the Windsor-Oshawa 401 corridor. Also to be fair, Toyota and Honda make a fair amount of cars in this province.

    Ok back to the CTS. A beautiful, striking car. Certainly worthy of rivalry with the "German Big Three," maybe not an overall better car than its competition, but to see sales so low is disheartening. Cadillac is still adrift. No one wants sedans, at least not the ones they are selling. And dealers must be dying for more Caddy crossovers and SUVs. Disappointing; a company makes some great sedans and the public passes.

    Final note: I am never one to cheer on the United States in any kind of sporting event (especially the World Cup, CONCACAF, WBC, and most importantly, any kind of hockey). Yet, if I see a Yankee in F1, I want them to succeed, and I'm pulling for Haas this year. What is wrong with me?! Do I have to hand in my Canadian card?

    Excuse this disjointed rambling. Back to studying. Maybe I can work for the Big Three one day.

  8. #6998
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,153
    I saw an Aventador and experienced extreme lalochezia.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

  9. #6999
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,768
    Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    I saw an Aventador and experienced extreme lalochezia.
    They do sound pretty awesome.

    Maybe I'm getting old and not following cars as often as I used to, but I did see a new Lamborghini too about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't tell if it was an Aventador or a Huracan. Granted it was pretty far away, so I guess that's my excuse. I did hear it well, and I was pulling into a toll both as it was driving away, so I was somewhat distracted too.

    In any case, I saw a black on black BMW i8, a sweet WRX and a Frasier Metropolitan yesterday.

    I really liked the wheels, tires and the body kit on the Subaru. I also noticed that in darker conditions especially my phone does not handle that well, so I'll have to keep that in mind. Kind of bummed the BMW came out blurry.

    Hmm- I've been trying to upload photos and it's not letting me, saying that a security token is missing. It's never happened to me before.

    Edit- Never mind, it's just been slower than usual I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 04-20-2016 at 09:37 AM.

  10. #7000
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,148
    Funny NSX, I saw an i8 and a 4C within minutes of one another in The Village yesterday. It's the time of year that the toys are being brought out.

    That WRX I quite nice.

  11. #7001
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Warning: rant.

    I just saw a Cadillac CTS on my street yesterday. Nothing exceptional you know, but it got me thinking. It is disappointing Cadillac is selling so poorly. They are making some great cars now.

    A slight aside before I continue: as yous likely know, I have a strange emotional relationship with US automakers. I tend to be a contrarian; this makes me want to cheer on the Americans at the expense of the Germans and the Japanese. BMW, Honda, and Toyota seem to be like GM was from the 70s-90s; resting on their laurels, (though not at all as hard GM did). But as a young lad, I grew up with a father who discussed how poor most American cars were even as we drove and Oldsmobile and Plymouth (we've since moved on to Japanese products). It kinda sucks when a product that should succeed on paper is not successful because of emotional and prestige issues; BMW and Benz don't often make garbage cars, but if they did they would still sell because of the badge. Cadillac has nailed it with the ATS and CTS (ok the interior amenities are not as nice as Mercedes, and CUE is garbage) and the public is overlooking them, as are the enthusiasts,

    As a Canadian, I also have niggling rivalry issues with the US; using the word "domestic" for the Big Three, as many Canadians do, sounds odd to me. Though to be fair, there is a lot of production from them on the Windsor-Oshawa 401 corridor. Also to be fair, Toyota and Honda make a fair amount of cars in this province.

    Ok back to the CTS. A beautiful, striking car. Certainly worthy of rivalry with the "German Big Three," maybe not an overall better car than its competition, but to see sales so low is disheartening. Cadillac is still adrift. No one wants sedans, at least not the ones they are selling. And dealers must be dying for more Caddy crossovers and SUVs. Disappointing; a company makes some great sedans and the public passes.

    Final note: I am never one to cheer on the United States in any kind of sporting event (especially the World Cup, CONCACAF, WBC, and most importantly, any kind of hockey). Yet, if I see a Yankee in F1, I want them to succeed, and I'm pulling for Haas this year. What is wrong with me?! Do I have to hand in my Canadian card?

    Excuse this disjointed rambling. Back to studying. Maybe I can work for the Big Three one day.
    I sat on your post a little while just to mull it over, but as I've gotten older I've mellowed a lot on my car preferences. I still root for Japan, but I don't trash the American manufacturers as much as I used to. I can enjoy a Mustang for what it is, or a Corvette. I still have my preferences though. Maybe as I've watched more videos Jay Leno and Matt Farah, who both appreciate cars for what they are. Jay Leno especially talks about the history behind each car, so I appreciate more about the history and the lore.

    The last CTS I liked was the wagon, because we don't have enough wagons in the US. I want a WRX wagon, Subaru, and bring back the Legacy wagon too.

  12. #7002
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,537
    Subaru has the Levorg, but not for you guys. Maybe I'll get one, just to show it off around these parts.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

  13. #7003
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,148
    The badge of a car isn't what matters, it's the nameplate. I don't care where a car is from or who makes it; all that matters is the car is good.

    Ninjedit: Ghost, Phantom, and 650S Spider. Summer is slowly happening. King and Queen West are bumping at this time of year.

  14. #7004
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast of the United States
    Posts
    11,768
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Subaru has the Levorg, but not for you guys. Maybe I'll get one, just to show it off around these parts.
    I've heard about the Levorg, but I thought it was CVT only. Party pooper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The badge of a car isn't what matters, it's the nameplate. I don't care where a car is from or who makes it; all that matters is the car is good.

    Ninjedit: Ghost, Phantom, and 650S Spider. Summer is slowly happening. King and Queen West are bumping at this time of year.
    That's true. That being said, I'm not really into buying a luxury sedans, so I don't really have an opinion on the CTS... or any other entry level luxury sedan either.

  15. #7005
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,537
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I've heard about the Levorg, but I thought it was CVT only. Party pooper.
    Good point, sod that then.

    Maybe in 5 years time there'll be a second hand one that someone has dropped a WRX manual into - can't be hard.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The random picture thread
    By Mustang in forum Multimedia
    Replies: 489
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM
  2. The official post a pic of you thread
    By Homem de Gelo in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 204
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 06:25 AM
  3. The Mercedes-Benz SL fans thread
    By Justin Syder in forum General Automotive
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 12:45 PM
  4. the 1-line thread
    By The Tuner in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 11:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •