Thread: emmision laws for 1970 and older cars

emmision laws for 1970 and older cars

It is my understanding that cars older that 1970 dont have to meet emission standards. I was wondering if this was true in America or only MO, or neither.
    Also if true how far can u go? Can You use a straight exauhst* system?
    Last edited by kko; 06-28-2004 at 08:01 PM.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

It's the same here in Connecticut, I think it is by state emmision standards that they judge it by,you can have straight exhaust but you'd get stopped by the cops for excessive noise. My race car has a straight pipe and a glasspack and its still to loud to race(the club has Db limit of 90 and mine is over that)
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

lol thanks

This is a great law if you ask me... but why ?
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

why what?

sorry
    why dont cars older than 1970 have to comply with emmision laws
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

I'm not to sure about that, i don't know if it has anything to do with the running condition or they just don't care, i'm not sure.

Actually, the law in most states is that it has to pass emissions of the chassis year. It's kinda like how an old building can be grand-father claused on codes. Its also very expensive to do, since you need to buy cat.s, a smog pump, and a few other various items. Plus, on most modern cars, emissions controls are done by the PCM. This is very expensive to do on an old car. But, what's interesting about the law, you can take a motor out of a 2004 Corvette and put it into a 1957 Bel Air and it only has to pass the emissions laws for the '57.

Connecticut made it 25 years because there aren't many cars that old left, well, not compared to the number of new cars, and they just don't bother with them but if your car is 5 years old or newer, it doesn't have to be tested either.

here in Texas, it is 25 years before the year we are at, so now in 2004 the year where ya don't need to pass emissions would be cars from 79 and down. thats why my bro bought a 78 camaro....he doesn't wanna have to pass emissions, they still do safety inspection though(lights, belts and all of that), so it can be street legal, and yeh ya gotta reduce the noise it makes(don't know how far). on new cars(96 and up if am correct) they only check the computer, if it has an engine service light, gotta fix it before it can pass(some cars don't need the cats to pass(tho they still need the o2 sensors in the exhaust)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Here in (Southern) California, it is 30 years or older. It used to be 1965 and newer.

My '71 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham is exempt; my '76 Cad. Limo will not need any more smog tests after this year (unless the law is changed yet again).

The reasoning is that there are so few 30+ year-old cars that smog testing them is not needed (which I think is true).

Yep, it's a state law, not a federal one. I believe the law (here) also states that it's illegal to remove any pollution control device on a road-registered car, regardless of how old it is. Not having to be tested, older cars can get away with it, of course. And, as mentioned, you can still be cited for excessive noise.

Many of these laws are in place through the efforts of classic car clubs, SEMA, and the like, who have lobbied their legislative representatives to help preserve the classic car culture.

Every state from what I understand doesn't make cars before 1970 comply to emissions. I believe this had something to do with the CARB laws in the 70's.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Thread Information