Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: yet another stupid question (transmission/clutch)

thanks for clearin that up eggnog, i was pretty sure reverse were strait cut (since it needs the idler gear) but i didnt know they lacked syncros, is it cuz u only use those gears from a standing stop

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    thanks for clearin that up eggnog, i was pretty sure reverse were strait cut (since it needs the idler gear) but i didnt know they lacked syncros, is it cuz u only use those gears from a standing stop
    yep.

But all boxes now have syncro in first and have for many generations

Some of us remember when we had to double-de-clutch coming into 1st for tight corners. Thankfully uneccesary now !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    yep.

But all boxes now have syncro in first and have for many generations

Some of us remember when we had to double-de-clutch coming into 1st for tight corners. Thankfully uneccesary now !!!
    A mates grandfather had to do that in his ford customline...what a pain it would of been in a column shift...also fast cornering in the big leather bench seat with no seat belts would of been interesting...to say the least....

Also the new BA GT as syncros on reverse...why i dont know i think its kind of a bad idea...sort of puts a stop to accidental selection....every other box would crunch and wont select....

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    A mates grandfather had to do that in his ford customline...what a pain it would of been in a column shift...also fast cornering in the big leather bench seat with no seat belts would of been interesting...to say the least....

Also the new BA GT as syncros on reverse...why i dont know i think its kind of a bad idea...sort of puts a stop to accidental selection....every other box would crunch and wont select....
    lessen the strain on the dog gears maybe :S ??

hmm, interesting.
    The only cars I've known to have synchro in reverse have been competition rally boxes. Some had the option to do that to enable faster selection when in 'trouble' Problem is they cones wear like hell and drop lots of metal in the box so really only any use if regularly change oil when used in that fasion.

I've also been told that executive 'special' cars get synchro in reverse to ensure gear selection when doing reverse J turns, 180s etc.

So who do you think they're targetting ??
    Rallies or the mob
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

So who do you think they're targetting ??
    Rallies or the mob
    Well in that case defintly the mob because the big very heavy RWD 4 door would be more suited for running from the cops then rally

Well in that case defintly the mob because the big very heavy RWD 4 door would be more suited for running from the cops then rally
    yep, explains the big boot ( trunk! )

yep, explains the big boot ( trunk! )
    Also 4 door with slippery leather seats for quick acsess (Ive precticed this with the seats in the studebaker if hit just right you can sail along the seat....though never to it too fast the armrest hurts if you hit it too fast ) also the cheasy starter button means you dont need to fiddle with keys now it all fits togerther

Could some one please explain to me how synchros work? (synchro-meshing gear change mechanisms)
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed
    Could some one please explain to me how synchros work? (synchro-meshing gear change mechanisms)
    "HowStuffWorks" is always best place to look first. See - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission6.htm

In short .... standard manual gearboxes use cogs to engage the different gears. To enbale these cogs to engage smoothly a cone shape is machined on the gear and the collar engagement. This cone uses friction to adjust the speed of the gear so they are in sync before the cogs engage.

"HowStuffWorks" is always best place to look first. See - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission6.htm

In short .... standard manual gearboxes use cogs to engage the different gears. To enbale these cogs to engage smoothly a cone shape is machined on the gear and the collar engagement. This cone uses friction to adjust the speed of the gear so they are in sync before the cogs engage.
    thanks For That!!
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

Thread Information