Thread: your favourite classic

your favourite classic

What is your favourite classic car?

Anything from the 50's to the 70's

my personal favourite would have to be the ford GT40 or the lancia stratos
    Hachi Roku Owner.

Ferrari 275 GT/B and the Aston Martin DB4 gt zagato
    got to love those 2

The citroen DS, it was so ahead of its time!!

my record is STILL stuck .......

Matra Bagheera 'S' - classic French lines and idiosyncracies
    Alpine A110 GrpIV - THE ultimate 70s rally car
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Maserati 5000GT by Allemano. Wouldn't say no to a 365GTS4 either. A Lambo 400GT 2+2, 250 Lusso, DB6 Short Chassis Volante, etc, etc.

And if we're talking saloon cars there's the Quattroporte 1, the 300SEL 6.3, the 450SEL 6.9, the 3.3Li. Oh, there's so much out there. Forgot, the S2/SCII Flying Spur by H.J. Mulliner.

Regards,

Brava

If it has to be after the 50's, the Ferrari 330 P4.
    UCP biggest Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic & Mercedes CLK-GTR SuperSport fan

1967 SS chevelle
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Bravawatch
    Maserati 5000GT by Allemano. Wouldn't say no to a 365GTS4 either. A Lambo 400GT 2+2, 250 Lusso, DB6 Short Chassis Volante, etc, etc.

And if we're talking saloon cars there's the Quattroporte 1, the 300SEL 6.3, the 450SEL 6.9, the 3.3Li. Oh, there's so much out there. Forgot, the S2/SCII Flying Spur by H.J. Mulliner.

Regards,

Brava
    Very nice choice, add the Miura, and the Mexico. For practical purposes the DS and for fun the Alpine A110. For a parking place the Downton Cooper S
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

1962 Ferrari 250 GTO or a Triumph TR5, I love 'em.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

A chacun son gôut, all due respect, etc. I'm a heretic. I'm in a very small minority.

Forgive me Father for I'm going to sin. I dislike the Lamborghini Miura. There, I said it, that was my sin. I feel so much better now, Father.
    The best shot of a Miura in cinematic history is when Beckerman enters a tunnel, parks it against a bulldozer and never comes out again in the Italian Job. I love that scene. Hate the scene where Croker's Aston Martin DB4 Convertible is helped over the edge of the ravine. Really hate that.

Love the Mexico, the Sebring, the Mistral, the 3500GT, the Ghibli. Basically I love almost anything Maserati.
    For those practical purposes I'll trade your DS for its contemporary, a Lancia Aurelia four door pillarless saloon, or an Alfa Romeo 2600 Berlina.

I don't have any one favorite

I don't have any one favorite, but must say that many of my favorite cars predate the 50's. There many people who believe that the quality and workmanship of the Grand Classics from the 20's and 30's was NEVER again achieved after WWII.

Here are just a few cars from the 20's and 30's which are on my list.

Who can ID them all ?

Best regards,

Steven
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SCWP1; 07-02-2004 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SCWP1
    Who can ID them all ?

Best regards,

Steven
    A Duesenberg SJ, A Talbot Figoni and Falaschi, Bugatti 57 Atlantic and the Mercedes 500K SpezialRoadster
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

A chacun son gôut, all due respect, etc. I'm a heretic. I'm in a very small minority.

Forgive me Father for I'm going to sin. I dislike the Lamborghini Miura. There, I said it, that was my sin. I feel so much better now, Father.
    As you say, everybody is entitled to his own taste (gout is spelled with the accent on the "u" rather than the "o"). The Miura for me is first of all the rolling chassis, which as you may remember was presented first and then all carossiers started to compete for making the body. I found it such an amazing piece of work so much ahead of its time (the 365BB came 8 years later) that the car will always stand out as an icon.

Italian four door six cylinder limousines somehow never made it on my list. Was it you who mentioned the Alfa Sei or even the Rio? Especially the latter falls under the same quality category as the Arna, which says it all.

Yep, twas me, I admit it. I also wish to apologise for my mistake with the accent circonflexe. After I clicked on 'submit' I was too lazy to edit.

The Rio and the Arna are two very different beasts indeed with totally different pedigrees. And let's face it. Build quality, especially Italian build quality, during the 60s and 70s was shoite. Didn't stop them making interesting cars though. Of course there were a few clangers, the ill-fated Arna one of them but in case of the Rio there wasn't anything intrinsically wrong with the car. It had the same mechanicals as the Alfetta and the GTV. The Alfa Sei, sigh. Another car out of step with its time. Again build quality, build quality, and build quality. It did give us the glorious Alfa V6 as we know it today. At first with a set up of six small Webers. Enough to give any mechanic screaming nightmares followed by post-traumatic stress disorder.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Finally I'd like to mention one other car for this thread as it precedes the Miura and the Dino with its mid-engined configuration. The ATS 2500GT. A bad case of what might have been.

Regards,

Brava

PS for Mr. Walker, I told you it was "Spezial" but would you listen? No, sirree.

Finally I'd like to mention one other car for this thread as it precedes the Miura and the Dino with its mid-engined configuration. The ATS 2500GT. A bad case of what might have been.

Regards,

Brava

PS for Mr. Walker, I told you it was "Spezial" but would you listen? No, sirree.
    Of course there were more mid engined cars before the Miura, but as far as I can remember it was the first transverse V12. I am not sure but where the Ferrari break away guys from ATS also not somehow involved in the chassis design of the Miura?

(just remembered the Fiat 850 Coupe as a future classic, especially in Abarth 2000OT shape)

Thread Information