Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inline dieing??

Inline dieing??

I donīt think, the inline motors are dieing. and also they are full of power!! just look at the BMW M3 which has an 6 cylinder inline motor and it produces 343 horsepowers. or even the new M3 CSL

The size is what's bad about them. They are too long to fit into an everyday (FWD) car. They will never complete die out, BMW will probably continue to use them, and so will Nissan.

nissans already gotten rid of their RB series of straight sixes with their VQ series of V6's. i hope ford oz dont get rid of their 4.0L I6, that thing makes massive amounts of torque compared to the holden and mitsu v6's

Originally posted by fpv_gtho
    nissans already gotten rid of their RB series of straight sixes with their VQ series of V6's. i hope ford oz dont get rid of their 4.0L I6, that thing makes massive amounts of torque compared to the holden and mitsu v6's
    The new Skylines will use the VQ engines? Hm... That just seems weird. I don't follow them much, but I figured Nissan would've stuck with the I-6.

the RB26DETT dates back to the R32 though

Straight sixes dont fit sideways in front wheel drive shit boxes very well. So the fewer rwd we see the fewer inline sixes I would imagine. As far a torque gos, straight 6's dont own the show.

BA Falcon NA 4lt OHC
    182kw @ 5000
    380nm @ 3250

Chev Monte Carlo NA 3.7lt OHV
    179kw @ 5200
    380nm @ 3600

Merc 3.7lt V6 SOHC
    182kw @ 5700
    350nm @ 3-4500

not much in it.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

umm crisis, the chev monte carlo's standard engine is a 3.4L ohv v6 that makes 134kw and 278nm and theres a choice of a 3.8L ohv 149kw/305nm v6 that holden use and a supercharged version that hsv used in the xu6 that made 180kw/380nm

FPV
    Check Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS in the Chev section of Ultimatecarpage. I dont like it, its front wheel drive. I was trying to test you proposition that in line motors produced greater torque than v6s.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

wateva

Does anyone know of any issue other than length?

Quote Originally Posted by 770
    Does anyone know of any issue other than length?
    well the Leyland Princess 2200 had an inline-6 transverse engine, and they needed a very special way to connect the gearbox.
    Apart from that the I-6 is a naturally balanced engine, and BMW is using that capacity to the full extent. It is actually strange that Mercedes gave up on it.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thay are good becouse they have 7 main bearings,that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by mehrshadvr4
    Thay are good becouse they have 7 main bearings,that's all.
    No thats not all. Theyre also very smooth due to their firing order able to balance out almost all of the vibrations.
    I am the Stig

Something else I once heard is that an inline-6 can be regarded as half a V12. Both engine types are renowned for their smoothness and seamless power delivery.

Plus it sounds great if BMW's engines are anything to go by.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    well the Leyland Princess 2200 had an inline-6 transverse engine, and they needed a very special way to connect the gearbox.
    Apart from that the I-6 is a naturally balanced engine, and BMW is using that capacity to the full extent. It is actually strange that Mercedes gave up on it.
    You probably know this already - as with most things automotive - but for trivia the Leyland Princess 2200 was preceded by Austin's Tasman & Kimberley X6, which was to my knowledge the world's first production car to employ a tranverse-mounted I-6 engine

http://www.elevenhundred.com/kimberley

Another current issue concerning non-transverse I-6 applications is the resultant height of the motor which can mandate an unfashionably high bonnet line, to provide for a 'pedestrian-safe' crush-area between bonnet and engine

Thread Information