Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inline dieing??

Quote Originally Posted by mehrshadvr4
    Thay are good becouse they have 7 main bearings,that's all.
    Seven, sure? I think most inline sixes have 5 main bearings.

The Mercedes M110 was a great I6, replaced by Vees.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Seven, sure? I think most inline sixes have 5 main bearings.

The Mercedes M110 was a great I6, replaced by Vees.
    All Holden I-6s from 1963-85 had 7 mains, as did AU-versions of Falcon from the mid 1960s. Chrysler's famous and long running Slant-Six was also 7 bearing, iirc

Mercedes M110 is a tough and likeable engine (I had one) but was replaced by the less durable M103 then M104 inline 6s - their V6s came later
    Last edited by nota; 11-10-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    You probably know this already - as with most things automotive - but for trivia the Leyland Princess 2200 was preceded by Austin's Tasman & Kimberley X6, which was to my knowledge the world's first production car to employ a tranverse-mounted I-6 engine

http://www.elevenhundred.com/kimberley

Another current issue concerning non-transverse I-6 applications is the resultant height of the motor which can mandate an unfashionably high bonnet line, to provide for a 'pedestrian-safe' crush-area between bonnet and engine
    this begs for full size pictures in the oddball corner....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Pretty recently Volvo developed a very sophisticated I-6. It is worth finding info on it. I read a big article in the Dutch AMT-magazine recently.

Something a bit different:
    I-4's are certainly not dying out. About all family cars produced have one of them. It is the most commonly used engine around

That Leyland was also mentioned. Maybe ill scan the magazine soon,for the dutch members

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Something a bit different:
    I-4's are certainly not dying out. About all family cars produced have one of them. It is the most commonly used engine around
    Okay then, on your subject change, who makes the best I-4's then?

I say Honda's up there.

without doubt. N/A, at least.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

They are amazingly tractable, and the non-VTEC ones are very good indeed.

Okay, playing devil's advocate (sort of). Why inline four pots?* Why not V4s like motorbikes get? With the increased emphasis on distance between the front of a car and the start of the engine (due to pedestrian crash laws) a V4 would make good sense. It could also be used to throw the weight of the engine further back, improving weight distribution, or slung forward, increasing cabing space.

Any thoughts?

*With reference to smaller cars that usually get I4s as standard, not the kind of cars that get I6s.

Just the looks of it!

I really like driving my l6, smooth delivery of the power, as well in lower as higher rpm's, great sound and when you open the hood, at least there's an engine in it. (well most of the time )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    Okay, playing devil's advocate (sort of). Why inline four pots?* Why not V4s like motorbikes get? With the increased emphasis on distance between the front of a car and the start of the engine (due to pedestrian crash laws) a V4 would make good sense. It could also be used to throw the weight of the engine further back, improving weight distribution, or slung forward, increasing cabing space.

Any thoughts?

*With reference to smaller cars that usually get I4s as standard, not the kind of cars that get I6s.
    V4's: Been there, done that....(Lancia, Ford>Saab,Matra)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Can anybody explain why the 4 Litre I-6 Jeep engine has less than 50 hp per litre and the gas mileage of a tank?

and less torque than a fat guy pedaling uphill ?

Quote Originally Posted by 770
    Can anybody explain why the 4 Litre I-6 Jeep engine has less than 50 hp per litre and the gas mileage of a tank?
    I think it's because it's a really old engine and they didn't invest in any technology whatsoever (ie 4 valves per cylinder, stuff like that). Seriously, you could do more with 4 liters. i don't know why, but the engineers are really lazy. Lots of other American cars have high displacement motors too and yet they don't produce much (such as Rock's Box).

Quote Originally Posted by 770
    and less torque than a fat guy pedaling uphill ?
    you're kidding right? my friend had a wrangler with that engine, and we'd be doing hillstarts in third
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    you're kidding right? my friend had a wrangler with that engine, and we'd be doing hillstarts in third
    Compare it to the I6 4L in the Falcon though. Night and day
    I am the Stig

Thread Information