Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest round a track?

Fastest round a track?

This might sound like a stupid question, but as I see it 0-60 times and top speeds are all well and good, how well that interprets into a track speed is never really clear though, so does anyone know which production car is "generally" thought to be fastest round a track?

I say "generally" cos obviously every track is different.

I'm lead to believe that the Radical SR3 holds the Nordschleife lap record, but I'm guessing that wasn't in road trim.

I realise that the Mclaren F1 is still said to be the fastest car in the world, but that's top speed isn't it?

My money would probably be on either the Enzo or the latest Koenigsegg.

Would anyone care to shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    This might sound like a stupid question, but as I see it 0-60 times and top speeds are all well and good, how well that interprets into a track speed is never really clear though, so does anyone know which production car is "generally" thought to be fastest round a track?
    Problem is what track ?

Donnington is a different case to Kaimes ( Scottish sprint track ).
    You'd struggle with a lightweight small engine on Kramer and you'd barely get a Viper round the hapirpin at Kaimes ( might tale a 3-point turn )

I say "generally" cos obviously every track is different.
    The range is huge, so I think we'd need to pick a track.
    Nordschlieffe is unliek ANY modeeern track. Nowhere has long runs anymore

I'm lead to believe that the Radical SR3 holds the Nordschleife lap record, but I'm guessing that wasn't in road trim.
    Radicals delivered with the 'track' option can be returned to road with the release of 4 bolts and turn up the adjustable shocks
    Most folks buy the 'race' suspenion. The only difference is the anti-roll bars.
    Adjusted to their softest, you get the road car.
    It's not the same as other 'Nordschlieffe specials' .

My money would probably be on either the Enzo or the latest Koenigsegg.
    Traction control on or off ??

Watch Top Gear. The "STIG" takes them all out on the TG track which has a reasonable mix of speed and twisty. IIRC Porsche is top just now - though there is debate that Stig MkII is 'better'

Would anyone care to shed some light?
    Sorry about the "dark corner" over the track choice
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yeah. The track thing bothered me heavily whilst I was contemplating the post. Silverstone currently seems lto keep coming to mind. Can't think why though...

I was thinking that the TG track is a good benchmark, but with the different stigs, it's not really as scientific as it could be.

My favourite track (only from a spectators point of view unfortunately. Haven't had the chance to get out and do the experience in person. Yet. ) is probably Spa francorchamps, maybe Mugello actually. I reckon Mugello would be quite a good benchmarker, due to it's nice mix of turns. Though I do love Donington, cos it's close and I've actually been there. Hell, I'm too indecisive.

Then again, Le Mans is probably the most famous in the world, would that be therefore better?

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    Yeah. The track thing bothered me heavily whilst I was contemplating the post. Silverstone currently seems lto keep coming to mind. Can't think why though...

I was thinking that the TG track is a good benchmark, but with the different stigs, it's not really as scientific as it could be.
    But without at least the choice of only 2 drivers it will become much harder to use facts. Le Mans for example is 90+ different drivers see alter.

My favourite track (only from a spectators point of view unfortunately.
    Brands Hatch GP circuit. :drooling homer noises:
    Not sure since they neutered Dingle Dell though
    love Donington, cos it's close and I've actually been there. Hell, I'm too indecisive.
    Donningon nice
    Too many tracks - aaaaaaaaaaaarg !!!!!!!!!!!
    Then again, Le Mans is probably the most famous in the world, would that be therefore better?
    Tracks wth long straights will always favour the big-is-best solution.
    Tracks with very tight twisties will always favoru the handling-uber-alles solution.
    We'll never reach agreement on track, so chance of picking a car is slim
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I do think Stig MKII is better than the old one, They should have the new Stig race all of the other cars again 'cause the Murcielago beat the koenigsegg and in theory the koenigsegg beats the pants of the murcielago.

In a wide enough track with enough straights and fast corners, it should be very hard to find someone to beat the Enzo. However, there are only like a million variables to be considered involving the cars, drivers, track and weather conditions.

What I do beleive is that, once you reach a certain performance platform, the driver starts to make a huge difference and in the end the best driver will always win.

Top Gear lap times...

Hi, here is the latest list of the Stig's (Top Gear) lap times:

* Mercedes-Mclaren SLR - 1.20.9
    * Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3
    * Porsche 911 GT3 RS - 1.22.3
    * Lamborghini Murcielago - 1.23.7
    * Pagani Zonda - 1.23.8
    * Koenigsegg - 1.23.9
    * Noble M12 GTO-3 - 1.25.0
    * Lamborghini Gallardo - 1.25.8
    * Lotus Exige - 1.26.4
    * Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2
    * TVR T350c - 1.27.5
    * BMW M3 CSL - 1.28.0
    * MG SV - 1.28.6
    * Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII - 1.28.9
    * Alpina Roadster (Z8) - 1.29.0
    * Subaru Impreza STi - 1.30.1
    * Aston Martin DB7 GT - 1.30.4
    * Audi S4 - 1.30.9
    * Porsche 911 Turbo - 1.31.0
    * Vauxhall VX220 Turbo - 1.31.3
    * Honda NSX Type R - 1.31.6
    * BMW M3 - 1.31.8
    * Nissan 350Z - 1.31.8
    * Mazda RX-8 - 1.31.8
    * Ford Focus RS - 1.32.2
    * Lotus Esprit V8 - 1.32.5
    * Audi TT V6 - 1.32.7
    * Noble M12 - 1.33.1
    * Mercedes SL55 AMG - 1.33.2
    * VW Golf R32 - 1.33.2
    * Volvo S60R - 1.35.0
    * Ferrari 575 - 1.35.2
    * Alfa Romeo 147 GTA - 1.35.6
    * Lotus Elise - 1.35.6
    * Aston Martin Vanquish - 1.36.2
    * Renault Clio V6 - 1.36.2
    * Honda Civic Type R - 1.36.5
    * Saab 9-5 HOT Aero - 1.37.9
    * Maserati Coupe - 1.38.0
    * Bowler Wildcat - 1.39.4
    * Bentley Arnarge - 1.40.8
    * Range Rover overfinch - 1.44.0

Taz.

Wow That's crazy list.

RX8 faster than an SL55 AMG?? NEVER!!

Audi S4 faster than Ferrari 575??

Civic Type R has only 1 sec difference with Ferrari 575??

Golf R32 as fast as Mercedes SL55 AMG?? (Golf R32's 0-60 Time is about 6 secs, while the SL55 is less than 5.)

I know that handling has a lot to do with it, but come on? How is this possible? Anybody care to explain?

Thanks for the list Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Wow That's crazy list.
    I know that handling has a lot to do with it, but come on? How is this possible? Anybody care to explain?
    Some of them are wet track

But you can't beat handling on a twisty circuit. it has a couple of corners that are VERY revealling on the handling and overal performance. Catch a Top Gear episode anytime

oh and then there's weight

Where did you get the list taz ? The show list has wet and damp marked on the results.
    Also, some of the newer times ssuggest that the new 'stig' is a faster driver than the previous one - McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Some of them are wet track

But you can't beat handling on a twisty circuit. it has a couple of corners that are VERY revealling on the handling and overal performance. Catch a Top Gear episode anytime

oh and then there's weight

Where did you get the list taz ? The show list has wet and damp marked on the results.
    Also, some of the newer times ssuggest that the new 'stig' is a faster driver than the previous one - McCarthy.
    Yeah I've seen a couple of episodes and have seen the track. I still think that the times are crazy. Unbelievable how handling can dominate over such accelerating differences.

jsut to answer your question, the McLaren does 240.

Yeah I've seen a couple of episodes and have seen the track. I still think that the times are crazy. Unbelievable how handling can dominate over such accelerating differences.
    I do keep trying to explain it

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I do keep trying to explain it

I know... hehe.. Specially when comparing Europeans and American cars.

Well, at least now I know it

You Go Peter!!

You're welcome...

You're welcome guys, here is the link for the lap times: Top Gear Lap Times. I would guess that at least half of the times posted are corrected because they ran on a wet track. Top Gear says that the general time difference between dry and wet laps is 4 seconds.

Taz.

slow in . fast out . if you have a greater speed exting the corner . even if you accelerate a little slower . you can reach probably same top speed in the same time .. and so . the corner is where the diference is made
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Thread Information