View Poll Results: What kind of transmition do you prefer?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fully manual (with cluch)?

38 84.44%
  • Semi Automatic (Cluchless)?

7 15.56%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fully manual vs Semi Auto (Paddle Shifters)

Fully manual vs Semi Auto (Paddle Shifters)

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. I wanted to hear your oppinions about the new paddle shifters that are begginig to replace the manual transmitions we all know. I personaly have nothing against them, as long as the manufacturers give me a choice between the two. I know the new semi autos are supposed to shift faster than any person can, but I miss the cluch...I find it more fun. What do you think? Which do you prefer and why?
    Last edited by taz_rocks_miami; 06-07-2007 at 10:09 PM.

what i really hate is why couldnt the make a clutchless stick shift

btw, this sounds like a thread on a firearms/gun board

"Bolt action Vs. Semi-automatic (Self-loaders)"
    Last edited by d-quik; 07-12-2004 at 06:19 PM.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

i find that normal clutch manual is more fun, also. i havent used a paddle shift, but i have used a sequential manual. they're no fun, trust me, but they shift very quickly. my choice is for clutch manual, unless i need to go very, very fast.

welcome to UCP!

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    what i really hate is why couldnt the make a cluthless stick shift
    i've heard of these, actually. it's a lot like a sequential manual. with a sequential manual, you just tap the stick to the left to shift down, and to the right to shift up (unless it's the opposite ways, of course). it doesn't have the fun of going through the gears, but it's at least better than an auto.

i wouldn't mind having to shift a semi-auto tranny, faster shifting, easier to do.
    but then i really love to shift with the clutch, puttin in first gear and gone...
    and well, driving an automatic is just boring(at least on small 2 door cars, the deal changes on a jeep with the 4.0L engine).
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

what i really hate is why couldnt the make a clutchless stick shift

btw, this sounds like a thread on a firearms/gun board

"Bolt action Vs. Semi-automatic (Self-loaders)"
    what is the point in having NO clutch, its practicaly the same as a semi Auto.

Clutchless are for those who dont know how to drive manual, and want to without learning (except for pro racers which is different kind of tranny).

But then again there are people who like a bit of both Manual and AUTO.

TAZ you should add a poll, see what everyone thinks!!!!!!!
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed
    what is the point in having NO clutch, its practicaly the same as a semi Auto.

Clutchless are for those who dont know how to drive manual, and want to without learning (except for pro racers which is different kind of tranny).

But then again there are people who like a bit of both Manual and AUTO.

TAZ you should add a poll, see what everyone thinks!!!!!!!
    the point is so ppl can a put one hand on the stick and one hand on the wheel.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

the point is so ppl can a put one hand on the stick and one hand on the wheel.
    That is exceptionally bad driving.
    Keep both hands on the wheel unless you are changing gear, with only one hand on the wheel you can get into a lot of trouble very quickly.

Manuals are better than any automatic, semiautomatic, paddle shift etc because you don't have to religiously go through all the gears every time.

Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Manuals are better than any automatic, semiautomatic, paddle shift etc because you don't have to religiously go through all the gears every time.
    Down shifts are the fun part on the paddle shifters, which shift down with a blip of gas. I'd prefer a manual for upshifts though.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

manual allllllllll the way baby... theres no dumping or feathering the clutch with a semi-auto or paddel shifters, and really feathering the clucth is the fastest way off the mark and if u can do that well then u can properly u can probably change gear well engough to hold out ne of these new non manual trannies.

I agree

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses, and thanks Sweeney921 for the welcome! I'm surprised to see that everyone who answered said they prefer a fully manual. Then why are so many auto makers coming out with sequencial and paddle shifted transmitions??? What I'm afraid of is the all these clutchless semi autos will become so popular that the manual we all know and love will go the way of the dinasours!! The poll is a really good idea, how do I get one going?
    Last edited by taz_rocks_miami; 06-07-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Down shifts are the fun part on the paddle shifters, which shift down with a blip of gas.
    I admit that it's probably fun getting an automatic throttle blip on downshifts, but it can't be anywhere near as fun and rewarding as doing it yourself on a proper manual gearbox. To me it seems all these sorts of gadgets and gizmos are there to make the unenlightened driver feel like a proper racer but it actually takes the skill of gear shifting away from the driver. To really feel like a racer you can't beat the satisfaction of using a proper manual with full heel'n'toe downshifts IMHO.

Manual is better but,....

I definatly think that full manual is the way to go. I am actually in the market for a new car and I love my manual but I hate driving it in traffic. Which I do alot. Paddles seem to be the best of both worlds but I am not sure what I will do yet.

I have not been in many paddle shift/clutchless semi-auto cars, but I don't mind. Sure, I would prefer the paddle shift for sure in traffic.....but for my everyday driver I'd prefer something automatic anyway. For performance I'd take the full manual. I don't want performance because it is THE fastest, really, as much as I want performance for the thrilling experience, and I feel a full manual is a part of the soul of the true driving experience.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I'll tell you this much... The crisp, perfect rev matching VW's DSG does makes driving an automatic bearable. If only they could get rid of the slight delay between pulling the paddle and the downshift. Stupid drive by wire.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information