View Poll Results: What kind of transmition do you prefer?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fully manual (with cluch)?

38 84.44%
  • Semi Automatic (Cluchless)?

7 15.56%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fully manual vs Semi Auto (Paddle Shifters)

I personally prefer a proper manual. Yes there are dowsides, but advantages far outweight disadvantages for me. I like the enjoyment and the full control.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Full manual for me. Nothing beats it. There's a purity of purpose when the driver's skill is really put to the test rev-matching, clutching, etc.

Although it'd be nice to let the car do the shifting once in a while...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Manual please. I like enjoyment while driving rather than out right speed. I love to control my car using the clutch, half or full release etc.... fun .... missed it....
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    I'll tell you this much... The crisp, perfect rev matching VW's DSG does makes driving an automatic bearable. If only they could get rid of the slight delay between pulling the paddle and the downshift. Stupid drive by wire.
    Apparently the R32's DSG blows, badly.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

For a sports car manual is the only way. However, in cars that are designed for performance as well as comfort, an effective auto-shifted manual is pretty desirable. Not to be confused with the manually-shifted automatic. This last choice is the most common, giving some manual control over a slushbox.

My current car is equipped with this type of auto. It doesn't snap off shifts like a SMG but it will hold a gear. Usable in hilly drives where it'll hold a gear to redline, where the rev-limiter kicks in and still hold gear. Having buttons on the steering wheel to control gears (not quite paddle shifters) gives you the control to shift w/o taking a hand off the wheel.

Another nice feature is something that might sound lazy but it works nicely. You know you have to shift down and pass. Generally, in an auto you just mash the accelerator and take off a maximum acceleration when it shifts down. With the steering mounted control, you keep the accelerator depressed at the same level but shift to a lower gear, now you're at the right revs to accelerate quickly and without overdoing it.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Although it'd be nice to let the car do the shifting once in a while...
    Yes, especially if you're stuck in this type of situation...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    \

THIS IS FUN !!!

I can only name so much... other's were either not clear or I've never seen/know them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    \

THIS IS FUN !!!

I can only name so much... other's were either not clear or I've never seen/know them
    Do you mean identifying the cars?
    I'm sure you can identify more of them than I can... I don't know what half of them are.

Manual stick-shifting is the most fun way to drive and will always be my 1st choice. I crave the total control it gives me.

When I drove a Ferrari F360 Challenge Series racecar with clutchless paddle shift around a track, I just couldn't get used to shifting. Sure the downshifts are lightning fast and thrilling, especially to spectators, but I didn't quite feel I was in full control during cornering. Switching over to full auto made me feel I was playing Need for Speed on my PC. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ht=day+ferrari

My ideal would be similar to the Ferrari settup, but with a clutchless, full manual stick shift instead of paddles and with the full auto switch for congested traffic situations.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    \

THIS IS FUN !!!

perfect example of the use of the carpool lane....(almost empty, meaning that in all other cars there is only one person....)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Americans are such pussies. We have traffic jams too and I don't see a problem with having a manual.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 06-08-2007 at 01:15 AM.
    Visca Catalunya!

well ill prefer fully manual no doubt but for a regular city day ill rather go with semi automatic... so ill have both under my garage... hahaha lol

but im 100% for fully manuals... thats the fun of the game
    semis just sucks and sometimes they get borin... my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Americans are such pussies.
    We have traffic jams too and I don't see a problem with having a manual.
    Yeah, we just "can't handle" traffic jams in cars with manual transmissions... except for the many who do have cars out here with manual trans, not to mention many trucks and the big semis.

Driving a manual trans car in traffic isn't a "problem," it's just less of a hassle driving an auto-equipped car. Besides, I rarely am in traffic jams. (I just like to watch them.)
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 06-08-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Yeah, we just "can't handle" traffic jams in cars with manual transmissions... except for the many who do have cars out here with manual trans, not to mention many trucks and the big semis.

Driving a manual trans car in traffic isn't a "problem," it's just less of a hassle driving an auto-equipped car. Besides, I rarely am in traffic jams.
    Many? I actually think that probably over 50% of new cars sold in America are autos or cars with clutchless transmissions. Time ago I saw the number for Spain, it was 14%. We buy more manuals than anyone else.

And the traffic jam is the excuse americans usually mention for not having manuals. As if we didn't have them...
    Visca Catalunya!

i hate having a manual in traffic, i don't know why.
    so i catch the train instead
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information