View Poll Results: What kind of transmition do you prefer?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fully manual (with cluch)?

38 84.44%
  • Semi Automatic (Cluchless)?

7 15.56%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fully manual vs Semi Auto (Paddle Shifters)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Many? I actually think that probably over 50% of new cars sold in America are autos or cars with clutchless transmissions. Time ago I saw the number for Spain, it was 14%. We buy more manuals than anyone else.
    With the amount of cars out here, over 50% being automatic still means that there are many car with manuals.

And the traffic jam is the excuse americans usually mention for not having manuals. As if we didn't have them
    There are quite a few manual-transmission-only drivers out here. One of my brothers, for instance. At a Mopar site I visit, well over one-half of those replying to the question "Manual or Automatic trans" picked manual.
    Traffic jams aren't really an "excuse," automatics just happen to be more practical for many people.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    \

THIS IS FUN !!!

I can only name so much... other's were either not clear or I've never seen/know them
    You picked out quite a few! I'll go back to that overpass (maybe later today) and try it again. This time, I'll zoom in more so the cars can be seen better.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    perfect example of the use of the carpool lane....(almost empty, meaning that in all other cars there is only one person....)
    There are quite a few car pools (one of my brothers is in a van pool); the problem is just that the Los Angeles area is so spread out. At one place of work, many times the employees live in various cities throughout the county.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    There are quite a few manual-transmission-only drivers out here. One of my brothers, for instance. At a Mopar site I visit, well over one-half of those replying to the question "Manual or Automatic trans" picked manual.
    The difference is that here the bread and butter cars have manuals, and even expensive cars, while yours are almost all automatics.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I hate paddle gearboxes with a passion. I have now tried out 3 types of Alfa Romeo gearbox- the auto Q4 in the 2.5 V6, the 6-speed manual (also in the V6) and the Selespeed. The Selespeed infuriated me, with irritating jerkiness in town and the reluctance it had to change gear. Plus, where's the pleasure in pressing a button? I love the feel of sliding through the ratios, and executing the perfect gearchange (it has happened, I think ).

Autos I can live with- fully auto, that is. At least it hasn't got stupid 'racecar' pretensions, and does the job properly (especially in kickdown). However, I always have and always will love manuals- a shame, as the RS6 comes equipped with a stupid gearbox. Oh well... Wouter, fancy changing my name to IWantAnAudiRS4?

You picked out quite a few! I'll go back to that overpass (maybe later today) and try it again. This time, I'll zoom in more so the cars can be seen better.
    Can we have a "Name-The-Cars" official sticky?? It's kinda fun for we all come from many different countries.

(But i think both US and Asian users in this forum could name out ALL european makes)

Many? I actually think that probably over 50% of new cars sold in America are autos or cars with clutchless transmissions.
    Make that 70% for Malaysia.
    Last edited by Ingolstadt; 06-08-2007 at 08:31 AM.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

God, Smats SoftTip or whatever it is is useless! It's as I've said before, flick it, wait... have a cup of coffee, complete a sudoku and BAM! Gearchange. finally.

The only other thing I've come into contact is Audi's Multi-tronic in an A6 S-Line 2.7TDI Quattro, in D it's as good as anything, nice and smooth, S is where it all happens and in manual mode it's a little odd, slightly jerky and Dad said the paddles were a little annoying, they move with the wheel, he says it'd be better if they didn't move, he also thinks it's just a gimic... - I personally think it's pretty cool, I mean Autos are so boring, at least being given the option to decide when you'd like to change gear makes it less boring. I mean, you buy an Auto (usually) for just wafting around town in) at least with a semi-auto you still get the choice. If I ever bought a Semi-Auto it'd be in manual mode all the time. -Personally I'd take a manual but if I did a hell of a lot of driving around town, or drove an Audi RS6 I'd give the semi-auto ago.
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 06-08-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

The perfect one for me.

A fully usable clutch and 6 speed manual GB.

* A push of a button *

The clutch retracts, auto mode available.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

The difference is that here the bread and butter cars have manuals, and even expensive cars, while yours are almost all automatics.
    That's because the choice is left up to the driver. Nothing wrong with that- if someone wants an automatic-equipped car, they should be able to have one.

Would you call someone a "wimp" because his new Corvette which can do 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds and go 160+ mph has an automatic transmission?

Or the driver of a '68 Dodge Hemi-Charger w/automatic trans which can do 107 mph in 2nd gear and a 12.5 second 0-100 mph time?

That's because the choice is left up to the driver. Nothing wrong with that- if someone wants an automatic-equipped car, they should be able to have one.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if went to a Chevrolet dealer could I leave with a manual Impala? I think the answer is no. Not much choice then.
    Would you call someone a "wimp" because his new Corvette which can do 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds and go 160+ mph has an automatic transmission?

Or the driver of a '68 Dodge Hemi-Charger w/automatic trans which can do 107 mph in 2nd gear and a 12.5 second 0-100 mph time?
    Yes.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Can we have a "Name-The-Cars" official sticky?? It's kinda fun for we all come from many different countries.

(But i think both US and Asian users in this forum could name out ALL european makes)
    I'll take some more pics later today when the traffic gets heavy again (around 4:30 PM Pacific Time).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if went to a Chevrolet dealer could I leave with a manual Impala? I think the answer is no. Not much choice then.
    I'm not sure, but I'll look it up.

Yes
    Why?

Why?
    Because in my view it defeats the point of a performance/sportscar. If you really want to drive you get the full deal. If you have an auto Corvette well then most probably you just want to show off.
    Visca Catalunya!

Because in my view it defeats the point of a performance/sportscar. If you really want to drive you get the full deal. If you have an auto Corvette well then most probably you just want to show off.
    How about a Lingenfelter C5 427TT with an auto? A manual lowers its maximum acceleration ability, so what then?
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Most drivers when driving their performance/sportscars in the way they were meant to be driven shift their automatic manually.

Also, there are kits which convert the automatic shift feature to fully manual. There is still no clutch, but the car won't shift up or down until you move the shift lever.

Thread Information