View Poll Results: What kind of transmition do you prefer?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fully manual (with cluch)?

38 84.44%
  • Semi Automatic (Cluchless)?

7 15.56%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fully manual vs Semi Auto (Paddle Shifters)

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    How about a Lingenfelter C5 427TT with an auto? A manual lowers its maximum acceleration ability, so what then?
    But in my opinion sportscars are not about the figures only. I'm sorry but for me a sportscar has to come with manual...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

How about a Lingenfelter C5 427TT with an auto? A manual lowers its maximum acceleration ability, so what then?
    Good point.
    I would say an auto doesn't "defeat the point of a performance/sports car" if it's a good automatic.
    For instance, a '70 454 Corvette with a 2-speed powerglide would defeat its purpose, but with the beefed up 3-speed Turbo-Hydramatic 400 automatic, it serves its purpose fine. (The Turbo-Hyrdamatic, when installed in the big-block GM muscle cars were beefed up at the factory- bigger and heavy-duty parts, firmer shifts and higher shift points.)
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But in my opinion sportscars are not about the figures only. I'm sorry but for me a sportscar has to come with manual...
    That wasn't my point, as I've already stated in this thread that a fully manual transmission was an essential part of the soul of the driving experience, which is what sports cars are primarily about.

However, my point was in reference to a car that many people buy simply for it's ridiculous drag racing abilities. If you want the fastest drag racer of a beast, like a Lingenfelter, you will often have a car that will be shooting to the rev limiter faster than the driver can shift, so in the case of someone who does drag racing and is looking to win more than for the fun of accelerating, an auto tranny would be beneficial in a case like this.

This is relevant in that the fact that in these situations, the car can shift faster and therefore the car can keep accelerating at the rates that it really can. This increased, more utterly-flat out acceleration adds to the experience, as there is more force crushing you to the back of your seat all the way up to the end and more grabbing the steering wheel to avoid having the misfortune of flying out the back of the car when it hits the highest point of acceleration. So, it adds to the primal feelings of the experience, while taking away from the CAR feelings of the experience. But aren't both important to a fun and thrilling driving experience?

EDIT: I've realized some of this is confusing, so basically what I am saying is that it isn't only about what a car can make you feel, such as the crushing feelings of G forces as you accelerate and turn, and alot of it is also the fear and power one feels towards the vehicle that the vehicle itself cannot create in the gut and soul, but causes the psychological situation in which people can feel the fear of the car's strength, and the feeling of power as we control it.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 06-08-2007 at 01:06 PM.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

That wasn't my point, as I've already stated in this thread that a fully manual transmission was an essential part of the soul of the driving experience, which is what sports cars are primarily about.

However, my point was in reference to a car that many people buy simply for it's ridiculous drag racing abilities. If you want the fastest drag racer of a beast, like a Lingenfelter, you will often have a car that will be shooting to the rev limiter faster than the driver can shift, so in the case of someone who does drag racing and is looking to win more than for the fun of accelerating, an auto tranny would be beneficial in a case like this.

This is relevant in that the fact that in these situations, the car can shift faster and therefore the car can keep accelerating at the rates that it really can. This increased, more utterly-flat out acceleration adds to the experience, as there is more force crushing you to the back of your seat all the way up to the end and more grabbing the steering wheel to avoid having the misfortune of flying out the back of the car when it hits the highest point of acceleration. So, it adds to the primal feelings of the experience, while taking away from the CAR feelings of the experience. But aren't both important to a fun and thrilling driving experience?
    You certainly have a good point, but I personally prefer to sacirificise a little bit of straight line performance. Other people might think differently, and that's fine by me even if I don't agree.

However I doubt a base Corvette auto is much about the drag strip...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You certainly have a good point, but I personally prefer to sacirificise a little bit of straight line performance. Other people might think differently, and that's fine by me even if I don't agree.

However I doubt a base Corvette auto is much about the drag strip...
    Oh an auto stock Corvette just irritates me. My neighbor has that, even though he got the Z51 package.....confused desires much?
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post

THIS IS FUN !!!
    Try this one, Ingolstadt.
    How many can you identify?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could get about 20

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    I could get about 20
    That's more than I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    That's more than I can get.
    Roughly 20, and who says I'm correct

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Try this one, Ingolstadt.
    How many can you identify?

This pic's too flared up.... just caught a few.

BTW, talk about fuel consumption!!! (look at red circles... )
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    This pic's too flared up.... just caught a few.

BTW, talk about fuel consumption!!! (look at red circles... )
    After I got home, I realized that the sun was lower compared to the pics I took yesterday so there was more glare.
    Maybe I'll try earlier in the day next time.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Roughly 20, and who says I'm correct
    That's true, maybe you got a few wrong!

Because in my view it defeats the point of a performance/sportscar. If you really want to drive you get the full deal. If you have an auto Corvette well then most probably you just want to show off.
    I agree that it defeats the purpose of having a sports car, but not a performance car. Because, believe it or not, some people prefer to dragrace, and an auto is really better for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if went to a Chevrolet dealer could I leave with a manual Impala? I think the answer is no. Not much choice then.
    Honestly, if your not a performance/car enthusiast, why would you want a manual car (assuming the auto version can get just as good gas milage)?

Isn't it easier to buy a Ford GT for commuting? Since first gear goes past 60mph, you could theoretically drive it on the highway without much shifting.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information