View Poll Results: What kind of transmition do you prefer?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fully manual (with cluch)?

38 84.44%
  • Semi Automatic (Cluchless)?

7 15.56%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fully manual vs Semi Auto (Paddle Shifters)

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
    Honestly, if your not a performance/car enthusiast, why would you want a manual car (assuming the auto version can get just as good gas milage)?
    Because I want to retain full control. And rarely auto versions get as good gas mileage and performance as manuals. However I understand that's the European view and that in the US the auto is preferred for its supersior comfort and ease of use.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Guys, are we lost here?

Manual is for the FUN and ENJOYMENT

DSG,SMG,XHUA,IUHFE whatever - we know performed better (But i keep having this notion of thought --- You are assisted by someone --- NOT COOL)
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Look at the poll.

It's not about the poll, but like someone stated earlier (forgotten henk4 or Ferrer) performance is overrated nowadays as oppose to fun factor underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    Manual is for the FUN and ENJOYMENT
    Yes it is, but as I mentioned earlier, sometimes an auto is what works for that. Like the drag racers, an auto drag racer is faster, and you are pretty much letting yourself be at the car's mercy, inspiring a sense of fear and more thrill that a manual drag racer could not. However, a manual on a car can spur on feelings of control over the car, bringing on more of a feeling of power as one controls something more fully, that is so mechanically more powerful than oneself.

EDIT: I think the issue depends as much on one's individual responses to these sorts of things, as the actual scenario one is in.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Initially, the only determining factor of winning a drag race besides who's car is faster is the precision of shifting gears, with what you had just said, the determining factor now seems to be who's lighter in weight.

Might as well not put humans in it, a simple mechanism can rev the car.

Obviously, a proper manual is much more fun than a Semi automatic/paddle shift or a regular automatic. Automatic cars are just easier to drive than manual cars and you usually get more comfort in an automatic car as opposed to a manual car. However, I prefer a proper manual to any type of automatic transmission.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

one thing i liked about auto transmission (traditional, slow response auto tranny) was when you floored the pedal, that huge gush piling up and burst out feel - it's almost like an ejaculation.

but that's all.....

Initially, the only determining factor of winning a drag race besides who's car is faster is the precision of shifting gears, with what you had just said, the determining factor now seems to be who's lighter in weight.

Might as well not put humans in it, a simple mechanism can rev the car.
    Who are you responding to....? I am quite confused about what you are responding to also.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

So Albert, I assume when you're driving the A6 3.2 it's always in the manual mode?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

one thing i liked about auto transmission (traditional, slow response auto tranny) was when you floored the pedal, that huge gush piling up and burst out feel - it's almost like an ejaculation.

but that's all.....
    It's also fun when the auto trans has a shift kit... fun to chirp the tires when shifting.
    And it's also nice not having to worry about the clutch wearing out (since there is no clutch).
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

the one thing I like about Auto's, mainly in 5cyl Volvo V70's and Audi RS6's is the seamless power transition, you just put your foot down and BOOM 50-60-70-90-110-140-BANG155 all you have to do is hold on and not bottle out.

Motion & Emotion

Wow, this was my first thread on UCP back in July of 04, I'm surprised to see people still posting on it.

Anyway, I've had a chance to drive a couple of cars with SMG and Tiptronic transmitions, and while they are good, I still don't get the satisfaction from them as I get from a proper manual. Call me old fashioned...I guess some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami View Post
    ..I guess some things never change.
    What, gear when you want them to?

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    What, gear when you want them to?
    What?? I don't get the question, or joke.

Thread Information