Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3000gt VR4 ...too heavy?

Actually, that depends on personal opinion. I think the Toyota Supra (JZA80) is a very good looking car.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

i used to like them too especialy the rear, but you need to see them next to each other and tell. vr4 on stock suspention sure dose not look good with that wheel gap, but when you lower the car it become really sexy with some nice wheels. i was stting out side and i saw a mk5 passed infront of me and my car was parked next to me. i was sure as hell my car looked much better and the supra was much cleaner than my car.even from the rear when i loved the look of the rear of mk5 supra.
    here is the picture just to give you idea how my car looks. the car is on stock body with just a set of wheels and lowerd.
    Last edited by mehrshadvr4; 01-09-2008 at 11:18 PM.

mehrshadvr4,

You own the best looking early VR4 I have seen. I really like the rims and lowering the VR4 seals the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mehrshadvr4 View Post
    wrong
    [url=http://www.fd3s.net/magazine_articles/road&track_article02.html]Road & Track: Track Test: The Best-Handling Sports Cars in America (March 1992)
    Thanks for posting the R&T article. As a 3rd gen RX7 owner I especially enjoyed reading about it pawning much more expensive machinery. I am surprised you used it as a source to justify your claims of the 3000's superior handling.

It feels a bit sloppy. There is alot of body roll, and its hard to get the car to stop.
    Unfortunately, when it comes time to brake and turn, this fast moving 3800-lb. Object wants to keep going straight. Translation: The brakes fade, the tires howl in understearing protest, and the body leans considerably toward the outside of the corner.
    Though they praised the 3000 for its straight line speed and acceleration handling is definitely not its forte. For that matter neither is the all important ability to stop.

It has the best slalom speed and high lateral Gs, but there is alot more to cornering than these numbers alone. I always felt that its all-wheel drive and 4 wheel steering took too much of the driving experience away from the driver.

I don't think that they are bad cars. They achieve greater comfort and safety than any of there rivals, while being just as fast on the street.

Completely of subject, but I wouldn't have given the 4th generation Vet nearly as much credit as R&T did. I would liken it to driving a boat, a very very fast boat. It felt faster than my FD, but I imagine a man could get him self in alot of trouble trying to push it

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    mehrshadvr4,

You own the best looking early VR4 I have seen. I really like the rims and lowering the VR4 seals the deal.
    thanks. i love 3rd gen RX7 as well.

Thanks for posting the R&T article. As a 3rd gen RX7 owner I especially enjoyed reading about it pawning much more expensive machinery. I am surprised you used it as a source to justify your claims of the 3000's superior handling. .
    they might not feel right when they corner stock, but they do the job right.my only purpose of posting that R&T was for the lap time not the handeling. i'm sure stock rx7 and nsx would handle better than stock vr4. becoming 3rd for beeing the heaviest, and having softer suspention and maybe worst power to weight ratio is impresive IMO( first gen vr4 puts down ~230 whp).as i said before the car has really soft suspension for it's weight. they tuned the suspension more for confort . the wheel gap is the main cause for body roll. they all can be fixed with a coil over. i don't think anyone makes aftermarket anti roll bar for 3kgts thou. the brake fade can be fix with good pads and brake flued. they can stop the car for really short distance(auto week on 91 stop one from 60 to 0 in 110 Feet).brakes are good for a lap or 2, but when you got brake fade then the pads ar not good anymore because the surface has been over heated. i think mistubishi used not really good brake pads for them. any way every car has solution for problem and for 3kgt they can be fix for a little money.

on other hand rx7 and NSXs have strife suspension and much less wheel gap, because they are designed for racing not confort. you can improve the handling on those cars a little compare to vr4 because they already are tuned for it.
    Last edited by mehrshadvr4; 02-03-2008 at 02:08 AM.

brakes are good for a lap or 2, but when you got brake fade then the pads ar not good anymore because the surface has been over heated. i think mistubishi used not really good brake pads for them. any way every car has solution for problem and for 3kgt they can be fix for a little money.
    I'm sure there are big brake kits out there, but sweet Jesus they're expensive. It is relatively cheap to replace the factory rotors with some cross drilled, which should help with brake fade if its a problem for you (looks 10x better too.) I did the ladder and got some steal braided lines (huge improvement) and Hawk brake pads. If it were a track car big brakes would be a must. For street driving and hopefully some occasional track time in the future, I'm really happy with my setup.

Edit: was just looking at the pic and saw you already have aftermarket brakes

Quote Originally Posted by john14 View Post
    Actually, that depends on personal opinion. I think the Toyota Supra (JZA80) is a very good looking car.
    I don't mean to say the Supra is ugly because it's very good looking. I just think the 3k is just as if not better looking.

BTW, how much heavier is the 3k than the Stealth?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    I'm sure there are big brake kits out there, but sweet Jesus they're expensive. It is relatively cheap to replace the factory rotors with some cross drilled, which should help with brake fade if its a problem for you (looks 10x better too.) I did the ladder and got some steal braided lines (huge improvement) and Hawk brake pads. If it were a track car big brakes would be a must. For street driving and hopefully some occasional track time in the future, I'm really happy with my setup.

Edit: was just looking at the pic and saw you already have aftermarket brakes
    i'm using stock 2nd gen calipers with brembo brakes. you really don't get brake fade on some drag racing or street driving. road racing has alot of hard braking with out giving the brake the time to cool down. that's when you over heat the brake. that's when you need better brake pads to take the heat.
    Last edited by mehrshadvr4; 02-03-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Okay I know this started a very long time ago but you could take your 3000gt motor and put it in a v6 avenger chassis, the avenger is much lighter but i guess its not the same as the 3000gt its not quite as good looking

i used to like them too especialy the rear, but you need to see them next to each other and tell. vr4 on stock suspention sure dose not look good with that wheel gap, but when you lower the car it become really sexy with some nice wheels. i was stting out side and i saw a mk5 passed infront of me and my car was parked next to me. i was sure as hell my car looked much better and the supra was much cleaner than my car.even from the rear when i loved the look of the rear of mk5 supra.
    here is the picture just to give you idea how my car looks. the car is on stock body with just a set of wheels and lowerd.
    Dang whats done to your car as far as mods?
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440 View Post
    Dang whats done to your car as far as mods?
    not that much. fmic, evoIII 16 g turbos and catback.

Thread Information