Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Why are American Cars so BIG?

I generally drive with my left hand at around the 7 o'clock position, with my right arm resting on the arm rest or at the 5 position. I turn with one-hand via a forceful palm.

I tend to do, right hand at 12, and left at 9 with my left elbow out the window. Then when the time comes to flooring it or in a drag race i usally hold it at 9 and 3.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Then when the time comes to flooring it or in a drag race i usally hold it at 9 and 3.
    i find 10-2 gives more control

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    I tend to do, right hand at 12, and left at 9 with my left elbow out the window.
    You would need a pretty long arm to do that in an Aus car.
    There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    I generally drive with my left hand at around the 7 o'clock position, with my right arm resting on the arm rest or at the 5 position. I turn with one-hand via a forceful palm.
    Kinda similar here but RHD so switch over and scoot up a bit. My right hand is at about 2-3 and left hand usually just touching the wheel at about 7-8 and I turn the wheel with the right palm for longer slow speed turns or closed fist for longer faster turns.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Also known as the pocket-hockey position. I resort to that on long drives, the hand position on the wheel.

Usually, left hand at 10-11 and shift hand at 4. I feel having the hands at 10 and 4 allow for the most movement of the wheel without having to shift hand position, while still gripping the wheel. This way, most turns can be managed with one handed steering when the right hand is busy shifting.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I generally steer purely with my knees, using hands for beer and ciggies

The only major concern is that in a situation which requires quick opposite lock I may end up neutering myself

as an american, the cars are big because they suck up puny Japanese/Euro cars hahaha and anything smaller is Unamerican
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    as an american, the cars are big because they suck up puny Japanese/Euro cars hahaha and anything smaller is Unamerican
    Incorrect. America builds our cars to match the size of my, erm, 'member'.

Its not just American car companies making huge tanks, have you taken a look at Nissan lately? The Titan, Armada, hell the Armada is just about the size of the Suburban.
    Something tells me that these aren't available in japan....
    Its not American car companies force big cars down american throats, its that Americans want big cars, just to clear it up.

The Titan is awesome, and the Armada looks ok in the Infiniti version, whatever its called... Q 55? maybe, okay no.
    The best thing to do in a car short of sex is to go faster than everyone else on the road.

life is short,
    PARTY NAKED!

If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstopable!

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomet
    Oh come on you guys! How about the Hummer and the enormous SUVs? Do You think they are bought mainly as a labour tool!!!!
    Exactly. I see those big cars mostly in the city. Like the Explorer, Expedition, Navigator, Tahoe, Hummer. They all suck offroad and there's a reason for that and that is because the makers of those cars know people drive them in the city. Some of them don't even see a puddle of water.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Seriously, someone lock this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Seriously, someone lock this.
    WHy ?
    Schmallz input was worthwhile ... I didnt' know Nissan were up-sizing their range THat's interesting to read.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There is worthwhile input in this thread, but the debate is over, and its only going to attract noobs, and antiamericans.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    WHy ?
    Schmallz input was worthwhile ... I didnt' know Nissan were up-sizing their range THat's interesting to read.
    So i guess that what i said is true, they only sell the Titan and Armada/QX 45 in the states and not Japan/Europe.
    The best thing to do in a car short of sex is to go faster than everyone else on the road.

life is short,
    PARTY NAKED!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    There is worthwhile input in this thread, but the debate is over, and its only going to attract noobs, and antiamericans.
    Hurray for Phoenix, resurecting a thread that was almost a year and a half old, one more time, hurray.

life is short,
    PARTY NAKED!

Thread Information