Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the New Golf

the New Golf

I didnt see a thread about it yet, so here are the first pictures of the new golf.

I have to say that I like the new looks, but I am keeping final judgement untill I see it in the "flesh"

Volkswagen has released the first pictures of the new Golf, the fifth generation of the car first launched in 1974. The new range goes on sale in the UK next February. As with all subsequent generations, this fifth version is an evolution of the Giorgetto Giugiaro designed original, the trademark rear pillar, truncated tail and simple silhouette all remaining. The latest version is significantly bigger than the last, gaining 57m in length, 24mm in width and 39mm in height, making it decisively larger than its rival the Ford Focus and bigger, incidentally, than the Passat of the late '70s. The extra space particularly benefits rear leg- and headroom.
    Cabin quality - which leapt forward so completely in the previous generation Golf that the opposition was wrong-footed - edges forward again, but not to the same degree as last time. Nevertheless, expect the new Golf to maintain its perceived position as the best quality car in its class. To this end, its body is a spectacular 80 percent stiffer than the outgoing car's (which was far from poor in this respect) to the benefit of crash performance, refinement and suspension behaviour. The suspension system itself consists of MacPherson struts up front, as before, but a completely new rear axle, previously revealed on the Audi A3, which is modelled on the clever multi-link control blade system employed by the Ford Focus. The power steering system is electro-hydraulic. Expect the new Golf to ride and handle more effectively than the current model as a result.

The engine range is extensive; all units, whether petrol or diesel, are now direct injection, though not all variants will make it to the UK. Four engines will be available at launch, with more to come later, as indicated:

Petrol
    1.4 FSI 75bhp - launch
    1.6 FSI 115bhp - launch
    1.6 FSI 85bhp - late 2004
    2.0 FSI 148bhp - late 2004
    2.0 Turbo 200bhp - 2005
    3.2 V6 250bhp - 2005

Diesel
    1.9 105bhp - launch
    2.0 140bhp - launch
    2.0 69bhp - late 2004
    2.5 TDI 175bhp - 2005

Gearboxes will include six-speed manuals and automatics, plus a five-speed manual and the clever six-speed sequential DSG transmission recently debuted in the Audi TT V6.
    I can see myself being pretty comfortable in a new 2.5 TDI with 4motion and the new DSG transmission.

It seems to have the SEAT Ibiza look.
    You certainly can tell they are built by the same company eh.

It's not too bad, I am looking forward to seeing what Ford do to the Focus next year.

I donīt like these circular edge shaped rear lights that VW is using in the new models...
    I liked the aggressive front end, but the rear end is creepy!!!
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br
    The 56th member of this Forum.

Yeah it looks googly.

At least they have not went crazy. Car makers seem to be ruining some cars.

i like it

I think the rear end looks a bit cheapish, maybe more suited on a less expensive model such as the Polo or Gol. I am having mixed thoughts regarding the front end. Overall I'd say it looks neat but I won't be able to make a final judgement till I see it face to face !

But 250 bhp with 4motion and a 6 speed manual !!! who cares what it looks like !!!

Re: i like it

Originally posted by Misho
    I think the rear end looks a bit cheapish, maybe more suited on a less expensive model such as the Polo or Gol. I am having mixed thoughts regarding the front end. Overall I'd say it looks neat but I won't be able to make a final judgement till I see it face to face !

But 250 bhp with 4motion and a 6 speed manual !!! who cares what it looks like !!!
    You mean the brazilian Gol??
    how do you know it??
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br

this is the rear end of the Gol. I don't like it at all, looks way to much like a rebadged Skoda (which it probably is)

Originally posted by piledriver
    I donīt like these circular edge shaped rear lights that VW is using in the new models...
    I liked the aggressive front end, but the rear end is creepy!!!
    it looks good for a small car

This car looks ,as usual, just great & mighty.I hope that VW has solved the space problem as I couldn't fit in its previous Golf suffering from (shortage of head room in the rear).

oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh i like!!!

badboy

look at this pic, the rear, and specially the lights seem to be different from the pics above
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br

Originally posted by Rusty
    this is the rear end of the Gol. I don't like it at all, looks way to much like a rebadged Skoda (which it probably is)
    I know this car... and thereīs a new version, completelly restilyzed of the gol... I think is more beautifull...

and rear...
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br

Re: Re: i like it

Originally posted by piledriver
    You mean the brazilian Gol??
    how do you know it??

I know this guy that works at dunkin donuts w/ my best friend and he brought a magazine from Brazil. It's pretty sweet. They have all 1Liters down there. I wish i could read Brazil cuz they have completely different cars down there.

Re: Re: Re: i like it

Originally posted by Othix
    I know this guy that works at dunkin donuts w/ my best friend and he brought a magazine from Brazil. It's pretty sweet. They have all 1Liters down there. I wish i could read Brazil cuz they have completely different cars down there.
    Ours cars are completely different from the north american ones īcos the greater part of it came from Europe...
    and thereīs some national designs, like GM Celta, VW Gol and many more...

but comparing with Europe, the cars are, in general, almost the same...
    but the bigger difference is that here, the "popular" cars (cheaper cars) are the top sellers....
    Last edited by piledriver; 07-25-2003 at 07:10 AM.
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br

VW and audi i think are the most difficult companies to really influence. they are still sitcking to the classic simple but very very beautiful design and i have one word for them - SMART - Bernd Pischetstrider(VW chairman)is a very smart man but not as smart as his predecessor(PIECH). The new golf looks very simple neat clean and very beautiful but the thing is nowadays people are looking for function. they do not really give a damn about form unless you are some purist like me!!!! - great car with great engine line up and great looks - can't seem to find picas of the new focus which is in august issue of CAR magazine - it looks nice and neat - everyone(well almost) is going back to their old approach - GOOD
    BAZOOKA EXHAUST

Thread Information