Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Turbo Charger Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    75

    Turbo Charger Question

    Hi guys i had a question.

    Why is it advised for cars with turbo chargers to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before switching it off.
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed
    Hi guys i had a question.

    Why is it advised for cars with turbo chargers to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before switching it off.
    It's not?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed
    Hi guys i had a question.

    Why is it advised for cars with turbo chargers to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes before switching it off.
    The heat in turbo is immens.

    Most decent installations have oil feeds to the bearings and some have cooling too.

    So by letting the engine idle for a few mins after some hard use it gives the turbo a chance to cool down and for the oil to build up in the bearings.

    The A610 has both, the cooling fan is a real pain coz every time I park near anyone as I walk away I'm always called on to say somethigns still runnin. I keep thinking I'll get a sign made up .....

    "Tuned sports car, drives like a cheetah and likes to gently purr after"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
    Posts
    282
    Is that the reason i use to see some turbo diesel car owner just lock up everything after he park and then just walk away but the car is visibly still having its engine running? Where everybody thought the owner forget to cut the engine, it runs by itself for a few minutes and then shut off...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverArrowZ
    Is that the reason i use to see some turbo diesel car owner just lock up everything after he park and then just walk away but the car is visibly still having its engine running? Where everybody thought the owner forget to cut the engine, it runs by itself for a few minutes and then shut off...
    Don't know any car that leaves the engine running, but for sure a pump.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2
    Some turbos have white metal bearings and if you turned the engine off after a hard run they simply melted and the turbo was scrap. I dont know if any newer turbos still have these bearings but whatever, it is a good idea to let a turbo car idle for a few moments after a hard run. Under normal every day driving conditions in modern turbo cars this is not necessary.
    You can buy a device called a "Turbo Timer " (just do a search on google)that lets you walk away from your car and leave it running for a pre set time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverArrowZ
    Is that the reason i use to see some turbo diesel car owner just lock up everything after he park and then just walk away but the car is visibly still having its engine running? Where everybody thought the owner forget to cut the engine, it runs by itself for a few minutes and then shut off...
    You must be mistaking the engine runing with the radiator fans. Many cars run the fans for a few minutes after engine shutoff.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,266
    i dont know much about this subject but it makes sense

    turbo charger turbines get up to 150,000 rpm. turning off an engine right away after driving hard would result in a really hot turbo turbine that isnt moving, on a turbo with fluid bearing/s (is it plural?) which must be constantly pumped around the shaft this could result in overheating, same thing goes for ball bearing turbo's but to a lesser extent.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    You must be mistaking the engine runing with the radiator fans. Many cars run the fans for a few minutes after engine shutoff.
    No he is right i have seen some turbo cars which have had the engine on for a while after you take the switch out, some electrical system (Turbo Timer as pmurf125 mentioned) which keeps the engine running for a while and turns it off itself, (the actual engine, not a fan).
    Last edited by Need4Speed; 07-21-2004 at 08:58 PM.
    “Nothin like da feelin of da pedal 2 da metal”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,336
    jason to the rescue yet again...

    you leave your turbo charged car running after hard/extended driving because as its been said turbo's get very hot and by shutting down the engine you cut the fresh supply of oil to the turbo which carries away the heat. letting it run will safely cool down your turbo butmelting bearings is hardly a problem... the true problem is the lstagnent oil in the hot turbo "cooking" and becoming a coked up mess impeading shaft rotation which can lead to turbo failure also blocking oil passages which can prevent proper cooling while the engine is in operation and increasing turbo temps which could lead to warped housings, broken shafts, or any number of problem. turbos need a constant supply of oil for cooling and lubrication purpouses. block the supply or have cooked gummy oil in and you have a funny looking hunk of metal thet is either scrap or in despeate need of a teardown
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

    Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Quote Originally Posted by MetA
    So by letting the engine idle for a few mins after some hard use it gives the turbo a chance to cool down and for the oil to build up in the bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    jason to the rescue yet again...

    you leave your turbo charged car running after hard/extended driving because as its been said turbo's get very hot and by shutting down the engine you cut the fresh supply of oil to the turbo which carries away the heat. letting it run will safely cool down your turbo butmelting bearings is hardly a problem... the true problem is the lstagnent oil in the hot turbo "cooking" and becoming a coked up mess impeading shaft rotation which can lead to turbo failure also blocking oil passages which can prevent proper cooling while the engine is in operation and increasing turbo temps which could lead to warped housings, broken shafts, or any number of problem. turbos need a constant supply of oil for cooling and lubrication purpouses. block the supply or have cooked gummy oil in and you have a funny looking hunk of metal thet is either scrap or in despeate need of a teardown
    Do I get a prize for saying it in less words ??

    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,336
    but the oil doesnt "build up in the bearings" it flows around lubricating and carrying away heat. you want to prevent it from buildding up in the bearings or it will cook
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

    Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    but the oil doesnt "build up in the bearings" it flows around lubricating and carrying away heat. you want to prevent it from buildding up in the bearings or it will cook
    hmmm, well didnt' want to get too technical.

    but spinning at 150,000 rpm the turbo bearing oil seperates into 2 surfaces of heavier oil and a turbulent section in the middle which becomes 'refined' by shear and centrifugal force. So the oil becomes a LOT thinner due to fluid dynamics.

    If it's then stopped the oil IN the bearing at the time is not "good" oil for the bearing coming to rest. The laminar oil film on each surface is only a few molecules thick. By 'idling' and letting more oil flow then the 'traditional' look of an oil bearing with a thin area at the bottom and thicker area at top and a subsequent break in laminar flow gets more thicker oil ( longer chain molecules ) into the surfaces so that when they slow to come to rest their is a 'good' oil cushion. If you take a hig spinning bearing, and quickly stop it without pumping oil in you dont' get the cusion and the subsequent settling on the bottom edge of the bearing causes damage to the white metal.

    So there IS more oil needed in the bearing at these times. I didn't mean it to sound as if you pumped oil into the bearing. As the turbo slows down and cools you are pupming oil through the bearing as normal, but now the oil gets a chance to build the necessary 'cushioin' for the bearing to come to rest.

    Still think it was best with the shorter description. This is now just showing how nerdy I am about cars and engineering
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,336
    just showing how nerdy I am about cars and engineering
    arent we all
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

    Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Really useful performance listings...
    By Egg Nog in forum Technical forums
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
  2. Twin Turbo Or Big Single????
    By ludi_konj in forum General Automotive
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •