Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Are you a church going Christian?

I'm a chinese and an atheist, and i'm against some of the traditional chinese stuff because i can't find any scientific logic in it, especially those talk about demons and ghost. (well, not that i don't belive in ghost or something, its the way they think they can make these things "go away" that have my doubt).

However, sometime ago there were teachings of muslim's religion and the explanation of their alquran (forgot how to spell ) and i actually find logic in it. Why they don't eat pork and such, and how to be a good guy and such... its nice to hear their reasonings.

Listening to other religion's teaching and learn as much as i can about them is important in my comunity, although i'm an atheist. This is because its multi-racial country here, its important not to offend other race as it is the best way to keep things peace. Tho some of us might don't like people from other race we try to respect them and i actually have some of my best pals from different race and religion.

there isn't any racist here, just a whole plethora of ricers
    -UCP's Hardcore 4AG enthusiast
    -Undergraduate student, saved half of the money to buy an AE111 Trueno half cut

Quote Originally Posted by SilverArrowZ
    I'm a chinese and an atheist, and i'm against some of the traditional chinese stuff because i can't find any scientific logic in it, especially those talk about demons and ghost. (well, not that i don't belive in ghost or something, its the way they think they can make these things "go away" that have my doubt).

However, sometime ago there were teachings of muslim's religion and the explanation of their alquran (forgot how to spell ) and i actually find logic in it. Why they don't eat pork and such, and how to be a good guy and such... its nice to hear their reasonings.

Listening to other religion's teaching and learn as much as i can about them is important in my comunity, although i'm an atheist. This is because its multi-racial country here, its important not to offend other race as it is the best way to keep things peace. Tho some of us might don't like people from other race we try to respect them and i actually have some of my best pals from different race and religion.

there isn't any racist here, just a whole plethora of ricers
    If the Muslim pork thing is about the bacteria that is in pork it sounds like a crock to me. In any case it is a good lesson you teach of learning about others cultures and religions to enable you to get along with them effectively. There are some people you just dont want to offend.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    If the Muslim pork thing is about the bacteria that is in pork it sounds like a crock to me.
    Trichina isn't a crock, it's nasty, you dont' want to get it !!
    It's OK nowadays as it can be controlled in 'farming', but a thousand years ago and on a hillside in the middle of nowhere ??

Also, from a point, the pig is closest to man ( the reason why it's possible to ahve pig parts used to repair hearts ). It's not a good idea to eat yourself as it leads to risks. Witness the feeding of cow offal to cows and the onset of Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis ( mnad cow disease ). So eating an animal CLOSE to you is risky.

There is logic in it.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Celica XT
    hey brum, what church do u go to?
    I go to a Christian Outreach Centre, a Pentacostal Church in Sydney, Aust. C.O.C. is a International movement.
    What church you go to? and country?
    There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by brum
    I go to a Christian Outreach Centre, a Pentacostal Church in Sydney, Aust. C.O.C. is a International movement.
    What church you go to? and country?
    Hey, cool. i go to Christian City Church Norwood, also a pentacostal church, in Adeliade. Also an International movement (C3i). i've heard of u guys, have u heard of CCC?
    life begins at 200mph

If the Muslim pork thing is about the bacteria that is in pork it sounds like a crock to me. .
    i beleive i posted a thread about this issue a while ago. search for it and hopefully u will find it. (to prove that thread's credibality, i beleive that NoOne found it quite interesting.)

that NoOne name can be very tricky !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by CoTTerik
    U asked what we hate? Well sometimes i get a little irritated and annoyed with the muslim religion...
    dont look at negative examples and then judge.
    it seems that u are another victim of the biased media.
    do some research, reading and studying before making such a bold judgement.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Without the Muslim education system we wouldn't have most of the advances in language, mathematics, astronomy and even engineering.
    It is now a poor shadow of it's once great system.
    Like Christianity, hopefully it will come out of it's current "dark age" and take rightful place as a positive force in the world.
    seems that my precious posts on the topic did have some influence !

ur post is very true and reflects a kind of attitude and understanding that hopefully most members can achieve.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    seems that my precious posts on the topic did have some influence !
    Sorry to burst the bubble Mish, but I studied comparative religions nearly 30 years ago and built an understanding and appreciation which only strengthened my belief that we share a fundamental tenet in all religions. One which sadly many of the organisations fail to put FIRST on the agenda of their actions.

Above all is love and love for your brother. Through that respect and comfort and caring comes naturally and violence of all forms is clearly BAD

'course nowadays I often end up in pubs and bars around the world defending the muslim faiths and educating those who don't realise without the great muslim schools Europe would have stayed in the dark ages and nobody would have bothered trying to find America, South America, Australia - hmm sometimes I wonder what woudl ahve been best
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Sorry to burst the bubble Mish, but I studied comparative religions nearly 30 years ago
    i still like to think that i did have some influence !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    i still like to think that i did have some influence !!
    Only if you're over a thousand years old

Quote Originally Posted by Celica XT
    Hey, cool. i go to Christian City Church Norwood, also a pentacostal church, in Adeliade. Also an International movement (C3i). i've heard of u guys, have u heard of CCC?
    we do a few songs from ccc oxford falls at our church, sweet
    There are only two possible explanations: either no one told me, or no one knows.

Trichina isn't a crock, it's nasty, you dont' want to get it !!
    It's OK nowadays as it can be controlled in 'farming', but a thousand years ago and on a hillside in the middle of nowhere ??

Also, from a point, the pig is closest to man ( the reason why it's possible to ahve pig parts used to repair hearts ). It's not a good idea to eat yourself as it leads to risks. Witness the feeding of cow offal to cows and the onset of Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis ( mnad cow disease ). So eating an animal CLOSE to you is risky.

There is logic in it.
    I have bacon every Sunday for twenty years, I have ham probably twice a week. I hadnt even heard of trichina until Misho posted about it. Pigs the closest thing to man?, (there is so much I could do with that), I get your point but its like saying mars is the closest planet to earth, I still dont want to walk. The next time a pig says dont eat me Im you half brother I may buy it. And I dont intend to eat the guts of another human. I read Mishos post and from what I remember was not particularly conviced (sorry Mish). Its like the jews and shellfish etc. I have bored you all with my diatribe on traditions and their origins ad nauseum so I will finish here.

I have bacon every Sunday for twenty years, I have ham probably twice a week.
    yours comes from a carefully controlled herd, fed on antibiotics.

It's not the same thing as pigs in the wild 5-10,000 years ago !!!

I hadnt even heard of trichina until Misho posted about it. Pigs the closest thing to man?,
    If you need a heart-valve transplant the pigs is one of the options.
    Oh and there are still some rejection issues, but don't worry thay're wokring on genetically modifying pigs so it's 100% accepted !!!!

The next time a pig says dont eat me Im you half brother I may buy it.
    and monkeys aren't related to man because they can't write shakespeare yeh ?
    Genetic similarity is a dnagerous game we're playing now ( and one religions perhaps foresaw intrying to make us believe them "unclean" )

And I dont intend to eat the guts of another human.
    The worry is NOT about preference.
    The worry is that through eating original species proteins it opens up the possibility of the generation of a difficult to contain disease - like mad cow.

(sorry Mish). Its like the jews and shellfish etc.
    Perhaps because like the pig you view it with 21st century science and clenliness.

Think back 10,000 years. Where did you get shellfish ? Close to the seashore. Where did you crap ? Into the nearest river leading to that seashore. So you introduced human faeces into the foodchain. and THAT is not a good idea.

Traditions are old and usualy had a sensible reason if the time is taken to "go back" and think from that persepective

yours comes from a carefully controlled herd, fed on antibiotics.

It's not the same thing as pigs in the wild 5-10,000 years ago !!!
    and monkeys aren't related to man because they can't write shakespeare yeh ?
    Genetic similarity is a dnagerous game we're playing now ( and one religions perhaps foresaw intrying to make us believe them "unclean" )
    Perhaps because like the pig you view it with 21st century science and clenliness.

Think back 10,000 years. Where did you get shellfish ? Close to the seashore. Where did you crap ? Into the nearest river leading to that seashore. So you introduced human faeces into the foodchain. and THAT is not a good idea.

Traditions are old and usualy had a sensible reason if the time is taken to "go back" and think from that persepective
    It plays right into my opinion of traditions. They are based on conditions and beliefs that were around 100s/1000s of years ago. I would hesitate to label them all sensible as people with the power to make them would have no doubt fashioned them to their own particular wishes. To make them part of a religious belief is not logical for this reason. If the reason for them no longer exists why hold onto the custom. We dont drive around behind people holding flags anymore, we dont get diseases from pigs and we dont pump raw sewage into the sea. (ok we do that but we pump it out further so we cant see it!). If the tradition was borne out of common sense it should also be removed for the same reason.

Thread Information